Eternal Khol

Island at the Origin

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

i feel like Brandon just confirmed the "island at the Origin" theory with this WoB

Anyone else?

Questioner

Is the landmass the stretches from Shinovar to Alethkar the only continent on that planet?

Brandon Sanderson

It's the only continent. It's not the only land but it's the only large landmass.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Edited by Eternal Khol

Strictly speaking, no.

There could be islands and other, smaller land masses in the super-ocean outside of Roshar. There is probably also something going on with the origin, but this WoB on it's own doesn't say anything about it.

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, asmodeus said:

but this WoB on it's own doesn't say anything about it.

i know this. im just putting 2 and 2 together.

stories of a mysterious island at the origin and a WoB stating there is more land besides the continent of Roshar.

-_-

what are the chances that brandon will include this other landmass in the books and it wont be the Origin? 

Edited by Eternal Khol

Posted (edited)

Lightflame

Can you give me a hint about Nafti, the Uvara girl that Derethil brought with him when he left the Great Abyss?

Brandon Sanderson

There is more truth to that story than some may think.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 26, 2012)

:)

I wonder if Puuli's Interlude is related to Wit's story

Edited by R J

There has to be something else out there. Too many in-world myths about there being people living across the sea for it not to pay off in some way. I feel like there is a small hint in Khriss's essay on the Rosharan system in Arcanum Unbounded.

"Roshar (which-characteristic of the dominant confidence of its people-is the name of a planet, a system and the main continent on the planet) is a busy place"

"Main continent" implies there is more than one continent and that the other is smaller. I'm not sure if there is actually an Australia out there, but I expect there to be an island or islands that have people living on them. 

I don't think Hoid's story is literally true, it has a lot of thematic and foreshadowing value. The emperor being dead the whole time = Honor is dead. The Uvara being willing to commit terrible violence to others as long as they could blame it on someone else = Odium's whole "blame me" deal. The Uvara flipping out when they realize they didn't have to kill people after all = Szeth suiciding by Windrunner after Kaladin calls him a coward for following orders. 

2 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

"Main continent" implies there is more than one continent and that the other is smaller. I'm not sure if there is actually an Australia out there, but I expect there to be an island or islands that have people living on them. 

Aimia.

11 hours ago, Karger said:

Aimia.

Storms, you're right! :)