Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matrim's_Dice

Can humans feel the Willshaper spren pulses, similar to Eshonai/Venli can?

Question

This is an important question for the fanfic I'm writing.

8 answers to this question

This is an important question for the fanfic I'm writing.

Venli's spren, who's name is Timbre, by the way, her pulses are the same as the Rhythms. Humans can't feel the Rhythms the way the Singers do. Though Rlain notes that the members of Bridge 4 sometimes unconsciously seem to cheer/cry out to the beat of the particular Rhythm of the emotion that they were feeling at the time.

People with singer ancestry may also have some ability.  Rock hums some strange tunes in his OB chapter.

This is what I thought. I have in my fanfic a character that has attracted a lightspren, and because that particular spren species has shown no sign of understandable speech I wrote about the spren pulsing, similar to the Venli/Timbre scenes in Oathbringer but my character can't understand the spren's pulses as well as Venli did for Timbre. My character can, however, kind of pick out what the spren is feeling. I knew that when this was officially canonized I would have to change something but I though that going with the order of the Willshapers was the best fit for my character. So I guess I'll wait and see. 

For what it's worth, Spiritual Connection to a Singer can theoretically do it as well. So a Bondsmith's ability to learn languages via Adhesion should be able to pull it off, and we arent actually sure a Windrunner cant pull it off, though we havent seen any direct indication of one using Adhesion spiritually that way yet.  

Cadmium (paraphrased)

Would a Connection medallion accurately interpret a listener's Rhythms?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, it would, but not all of it, some would be lost in translation. You'd probably lose some of the nuance. It would probably be better to give the medallion to someone who couldn't understand it than someone who spoke it. Calamity Houston signing (Feb. 24, 2016)

So, Willshapers probably wouldn't be able to. At least not yet. 

I think I will just ignore this, continue on my writing, and change it when it's canonized officially.

If you want to bring some crazy world hopping into it Mistborn and Seeker mistings may be able to hear the Rhythms

23 minutes ago, Brassweaver said:

If you want to bring some crazy world hopping into it Mistborn and Seeker mistings may be able to hear the Rhythms

I never thought about that, but I don't think I'll go to this, the story takes place during/after WoR and it's not canonized what Scadrians were doing concerning worldhopping at that time. I just have my character picking out feelings and impressions from the pulses. 

Thinking about it now, I think I'm going to tone done how much the character understands the lightspren.