What the heck is Malatium?

danex

Question

So, My understanding of Allomancy is that we have the 16 base metals (Iron, Steel, Tin, Pewter, Zinc, Brass, Copper, Bronze, Cadmium, Bendalloy, Gold, Electrum, Chromium, Nicrosil, Aluminum, and Duralumin) and then the 2 god metals (Atium and Lerasium). If that's the case, what the heck is Malatium? The "Eleventh Metal" doesn't seem to fit with the pattern. 

Edited by Danex

2 answers to this question

Malatium is an alloy of gold and atium.  Each of the god metals can be alloyed with a normal metal to produce a different effect.  Lerasium alloy produce metals that make mistlings.  When alloyed with zinc for example would produce a mistling that can burn zinc.  Atium can also be alloyed with the 16 different normal metals for mental and temporal effects.

Maru Nui

What would an atium-electrum alloy do in Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

The alloys of atium have various temporal effects.

Footnote: The Allomancy chart poster reveals that atium alloys have various temporal and mental effects.
Tor.com Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Jan. 10, 2011)

Questioner

I was also wondering if... I just finished reading the Ars Arcanum in the back of Bands of Mourning and I heard it mention that god metals could be alloyed to give different abilities or traits.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Could you give an example of one?

Brandon Sanderson

So, you could alloy lerasium with certain metals of the sixteen in the table and get, if you had just enough lerasium, it would make them a misting of those powers.

Calamity Philadelphia signing (Feb. 20, 2016)

Edited by Karger