TLR & the mists

Hoid's secret?

Could TLR have taken in the mists like Vin. Harmony's ascession confirmed that who the true HoA was, and Kel and Vin both held Preservations power for a while, but Harmony's explanantion at the end pointed that the mists could only be used by someone who had taken up the power at the WoA as the well was an  'attuning' force. Since TLR had also touched that same power, why didn't the mists aid him?

It might've had something to do with Vin being chosen by Preservation whereas Rashek was simply a countermeasure to Preservation's original choice Alendi. 

The Lord Ruler also had piercings on his body, which allowed Ruin to affect him, this would've pushed the Mists back

Edited by R J

Agreed, I get the impression that Preservation was actively controlling the mists so I dont think anyone could draw on them without the active approval of Leras, even if they didnt have Spikes that would push it back the way it did with Vin when she had her earring in.  

6 hours ago, R J said:

It might've had something to do with Vin being chosen by Preservation whereas Rashek was simply a countermeasure to Preservation's original choice Alendi. 

The Lord Ruler also had piercings on his body, which allowed Ruin to affect him, this would've pushed the Mists back

I figured that would be true, however, recall the fight between Vin and Raskek; Rashek eventually lost his metal minds and it did take a while for the aging process to take him (making him very desprate like Vin in many instances), so the spikes issue is nullified. Secondly, in secret history, Preservation is horrified that Rashek was killed, so I don't think that the help given to Vin was intentional

14 minutes ago, Hoid's secret? said:

I figured that would be true, however, recall the fight between Vin and Raskek; Rashek eventually lost his metal minds and it did take a while for the aging process to take him (making him very desprate like Vin in many instances), so the spikes issue is nullified. Secondly, in secret history, Preservation is horrified that Rashek was killed, so I don't think that the help given to Vin was intentional

That's more of a damaged Preservation far too molded by his Intent speaking. He chose Vin somehow, and before that Alendi. The grief was because Rashek was preserved, a constant.

That was Compounding not Hemalurgy

Maybe Iam deviating from the main point here but I still can't  figure out why he chose Vin? wouldnt Rashek make a better vessel for Preservation given that he had already taken up the power once and was already opposing ruin. Preservation was already dead along time ago, living on as a cognitive shadow and he clearly mentioned setting his plan in motion before he died, so I do not think Vin was intentional on his part. She wasn't even around then.

He needed someone to take up his power and destroy ruin, then the HoA could take up both powers. The hero was never intended to take up the mists or his own shard before Ati was killed. 

1 hour ago, Hoid's secret? said:

Maybe Iam deviating from the main point here but I still can't  figure out why he chose Vin? wouldnt Rashek make a better vessel for Preservation given that he had already taken up the power once and was already opposing ruin. Preservation was already dead along time ago, living on as a cognitive shadow and he clearly mentioned setting his plan in motion before he died, so I do not think Vin was intentional on his part. She wasn't even around then.

He needed someone to take up his power and destroy ruin, then the HoA could take up both powers. The hero was never intended to take up the mists or his own shard before Ati was killed. 

Rashek wasnt around when Leras made his plan either.

the well took 1024 years to fill up.

thats at least 1000 years before Rashek was born that Leras made his plan

Rashek may have held the power but he WAS NOT Preservsation.

by that, i mean Rashek would have made an awful Preservation. he'd most likely have the same problems that Kelsier did(not being able to wield the power properly)

handling the power of the well is one thing. handling the whole power of a shard is a whole different category

Leras would begin his search for a new host exactly 16 years before the Well of Ascension would be full again 

there were multiple people who were supposed to take up the Power and become Preservation.

but just like with Vin, Ruin meddled and crushed those opportunities(Alendi was supposed to be Preservation then Ruin Meddled and Rashek ended up taking up the Power at the Well).

as to why Leras chose Vin. We dont really know. the WoB below indicates that even after Ascending, Sazed didnt even know the reason

maybe Leras was just was just looking for someone nicely attuned to the power.

but the fact that both Alendi and Vin were allomancers cant be a coincidence.

Brandon Sanderson

Chapter Seventy-Nine

The Mists Chose Someone

There's a lot more going on behind the scenes than even the author of these epigraphs knows. Reasons why Vin was chosen, and why the power of Preservation needed a new mind to control it.

The author is right in that Preservation did need someone to control its power, and it did seek for a host in which to invest itself. It began this search with what mind it had left about sixteen years before the return of the power to the Well of Ascension, just as it began a search for a new host before the return of the power the previous time.

Unfortunately, just as Ruin took control and manipulated Alendi, he took control and manipulated Vin.

The Hero of Ages Annotations (May 13, 2010)

Edited by Eternal Khol

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it was Leras who chose Vin; I think it was just the power seeking a new vessel. Having already held the power once doesn't seem to have much bearing on who the new vessel would be; Vin hadn't held the power at the Well when she first drew on the mists, and I'm pretty sure she could have ascended sooner if Kelsier hadn't encouraged her to keep wearing her earing. However, that depends on whether Leras needed to be completely dead first; also, if she had ascended earlier, it could have been disastrous, since she could have been corrupted by her Intent by the time she had the motivation and abandon to kill Ruin, and Sazed wouldn't have been Connected to both enough to become Harmony.