Tomorrow is May 4th, everyone! Tomorrow is Star Wars day! Star Wars fans, unite! Prepare for tomorrow's inevitable arguments about theoretical force powers, ewoks versus porgs, complaints about midichlorians (or just the Phantom Menace in general), and hatred towards the newest movie, "Rise of Skywalker!" Spoilers are allowed!

Here’s my very general thoughts on the Star Wars trilogies:
Every trilogy has its strengths and weaknesses. The prequels are great for world building and cool action sequences, but have pretty rough acting/unneeded stuff that could be replaced with way more meaningful stuff (I’m looking at you Anakin and Padme). ((The movie Solo was pretty good, I enjoyed it, and I loved Rogue One, it’s probably my favorite Star Wars movie)). The original three are great. I’ve probably got less complaints about these than others, though they definitely have their failings (none come to mind off the top of my head, it’s been a while since I’ve seen them). They’ve aged pretty well imo and capture that general Star Wars feeling and idea.
The sequels... well, the sequels are kinda weird. I loved the first one, even though it was pretty much a copy of A New Hope. It set the stage for the next couple, and I was excited to see where the world would go. Then, the director change happened, Snoke was a piece of garbage, Luke wasn’t really wise but just a grumpy, annoying, old man, and the whole thing just felt a bit like a Disney channel show in space with blasters. Then the last one came. And honestly, it was pretty good. Except for that kiss at the end, the entire Kylo and Rey dynamic was well done, and while I hate that the company is still adding random force tricks every movie, the force-bond teleportation thing was really cool. The biggest problem for me was it felt way to separated from the other two. It was like everyone was trying to pretend that everything that happened in TLJ  never happened, and it just leads to this weird sense of discontinuity throughout all the sequels. It was understandable considering what a disaster TLJ was, but it just didn’t seem to work. 
Wow, that kinda turned into a full blown review/rant. Well, take all this with a grain of salt, because this is just my opinion, and by no means has to be yours as well. I probably could go back and change the wording of my post so it seems more like an opinion, but eh. I’m lazy, so don’t take offense:P

I'ma go through the movies in chronological order.

Phantom Menace - Trash! Jar Jar Binks, Midichlorians, and a milked podracing scene. The only good part of that movie was the lightsaber battle with Darth Maul.

Attack of the Clones - Trash! Jar Jar Binks again, half the movie devoted to Anakin and Padme having meaningful conversations about sand, and the complete destruction of Yoda's character at the end. I might've been able to forgive this one if Yoda had still been a puppet, and had used more force abilities than... whatever it is Yoda was doing in that scene.

Revenge of the Sith - Watcheable of the Prequels. Padme wasn't a huge part of that movie, which was good (I like the character, but the actress isn't good). We got a healthy dose of Ewan McGreggor, and the scene where he has to fight his best friend was pretty well done. Again, the battle with Yoda wasn't very good (more force, less gainers), and the actor for Palpatine wasn't very good.

Solo - Pretty okay. This movie got a lot of hatred it really didn't deserve. All they really wanted to do was throw in the backstory about how Han got the Falcon, where Chewie came from, and a healthy dose of Lando Calrisian. Its purpose was to be a fun action movie, and that's what it was, so I think it was pretty good.

Rogue One - Absolutely AMAZING. This movie was super good! I loved it to its core, with engaging characters, a followable plotline, and a good "reality of war" scene near the end where (spoilers) all the main characters die. The actor of Vader wasn't particularly good, but that scene where he invades the Rebel Alliance ship was awesome. This is quite possibly my favorite Star Wars movie.

A New Hope - Dang Good! I'm not sure if you're legally allowed to hate on this one. It was the first Star Wars film, which means that you can't point at anything and be like "I feel like that stole away from the themage of the series," because the series wasn't a thing yet. George Lucas did an excellent job introducing the galaxy, the jedi, and the icons of Star Wars in this movie.

Empire Strikes Back - Absolutely AMAZING. A sequel to a movie is supposed to upstage the last movie, but they rarely do. This one, though; this one did. You really get to see Leia as a character and not a damsel in distress, and Han becomes less of a money-driven swindler and now a money-driven, funny swindler. The "I am your father" line is always pretty great, and I really liked the Chewbacca/C3PO friendship arc.

Return of the Jedi - Absolutely AMAZING. This opinion is as controversial as frick, but I loved the ewoks. Nothing quite like little furry space bears to cheer up your day! The "Luke and Leia are siblings" thing was well-implemented for its time, I really liked the sort-of-love-triangle, and the completion of Darth Vader's redemption was pretty great. 11/11 movie.

The Force Awakens - Okay. I like to cut J.J. some slack on this one because he was handed a HUGE legacy, and living up to it must've been difficult. He had an effective set of villains, a nice crew of protagonists, and a heartrending death scene near the end! I might've cried if SOMEONE hadn't SPOILED IT FOR ME :angry:. Also BB-8 was pretty great. Loved him.

The Last Jedi - Dang Good! If I don't get hate for loving the ewoks, then I'll get hate for loving this movie. I really appreciated just how well the new director did! He was given a single movie, a jumble of characters, and one dead Carrie Fisher (rest in peace. I love you) to work off of, and he blew it out of the park! People keep talking about how they dislike Luke's grumpiness rather than wisdom, but if you ran away from the galaxy because you felt like you had failed it, then you aren't crashing your ship on an undiscovered planet because you want to enlighten yourself. I like how he expanded on Poe Dameron as a "trigger-happy flyboy," pointing out that cliche among several others. People also hate on Holdo for not telling anybody the plan, but could you imagine telling someone that plan? "We're going to keep running from the entire fleet, then if we get desperate we'll fuel up the unshielded, unarmed transports and make for a nearby planet. You guys will probably all get exploded, and I'll stay here all alone in this ship and try to face down the entire fleet with nothing but my purple hair." The fact that she didn't tell anyone anything was probably better than telling them the truth. I didn't like Rose much (though I'm not entirely sure why). Luke's character arc completion at the end by "facing down the entire first order with a laser sword" and his last sight being that of the two suns was actually quite beautiful. I could've watched him dodge Kylo Ren for hours.

Rise of Skywalker - Trash! J.J. Abrams was given the chance to end a remarkable series and he FAILED. There was absolutely no reason whatsoever why Palpatine was even there at all. He abused the opening crawl to introduce the fact that he existed, but even that didn't work! I laughed myself to death when I read that! The whole sith-lord-GLaDOS thing bothered me, and they completely ruined Anakin/Vader, who was supposed to have ended the sith! They started off the movie with an argument between Poe and Rey, but they never expanded on that. They added Lando Calrisian for... what? Aesthetic? He got all of five minutes of screen time. I might've been okay with this movie if they had done the ending well, but they just didn't. They first ripped off Endgame with the whole "I am all the jedi" thing, then the kiss thing just annoyed me. Rey's an independent soul! She needs no man! I did like, however, how J.J. didn't expand on the Rose/Finn love arc, rather pushing them into an almost father/daughter kind of relationship. I was also really satisfied with Kylo Ren's redemption arc, how he completely threw away his affiliation with the dark side alongside his lightsaber. HOWEVER. The movie completely destroyed one of my favorite characters: Hux. The Last Jedi obviously intended for him to have been a power-hungry bad guy, as shown by his willingness to kill Ren in order to take over the First Order. Abrams read off the blaster-pulling incorrectly, assuming him to have been a Resistance sympathizer rather than someone who just wanted to beat the guy who was so favored by Snoke. How does Abrams finish Hux? With a blaster shot to the chest, while Kylo Ren gets to vanish like a jedi after getting the girl.

Also he screwed up the ending. He could've picked any iconic thing to end the movie on, and he chose Rey and BB-8 on Tattooine? Not the Millenium Falcon soaring off into space, or R2D2 and C3PO standing next to each other again. Rey and BB-8.

So there's that.

~Channelboy 

May the Forth be with you everybody!!! I for one don't hate any of the new movies, I really like Solo and Rogue One. But I don't get how Darth Maul, at the end of Solo, was relevant in any way. Wasn't he dead at that point? Also I don't see what every body has against Jar-Jar Binks? Overall though I like all of them! Except the prequels. Those are trash.

9 minutes ago, McWafy said:

May the Forth be with you everybody!!! I for one don't hate any of the new movies, I really like Solo and Rogue One. But I don't get how Darth Maul, at the end of Solo, was relevant in any way. Wasn't he dead at that point? Also I don't see what every body has against Jar-Jar Binks? Overall though I like all of them! Except the prequels. Those are trash.

Darth Maul isn't dead in the canon, but unless you've watched through all of the Clone Wars series and Rebels series you wouldn't exactly know that.

As for Jar Jar... he's just so annoying. I recently (well.... relatively recently) rewatched Phantom Menace and everything about him just ticked me off. His walk, his voice... UGHGHGH.

Nonetheless, to each their own. Glad you hate the prequels though; that is the right opinion in my... opinion.

On 5/4/2020 at 11:51 AM, Channelknight Fadran said:

Darth Maul isn't dead in the canon, but unless you've watched through all of the Clone Wars series and Rebels series you wouldn't exactly know that.

Well I new that he lives in the clone wars series (though I haven't watched all of it). But doesn't he have robot legs? I recall him having two normal legs in Solo. 

As for Jar Jar... he's just so annoying. I recently (well.... relatively recently) rewatched Phantom Menace and everything about him just ticked me off. His walk, his voice... UGHGHGH.

Ok ok, I haven't seen them in awile but it was just fun to watch (read;)) you describe Jar Jar. Heh heh............funny......:P

Nonetheless, to each their own. Glad you hate the prequels though; that is the right opinion in my... opinion.

*claps*   :P

Edited by McWafy

2 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

I'ma go through the movies in chronological order.

Phantom Menace - Trash! Jar Jar Binks, Midichlorians, and a milked podracing scene. The only good part of that movie was the lightsaber battle with Darth Maul.

One of the best movies, Jar Jar is one of my top ten favorites, My contravirtial claim. People complain too much about midichlorians, it's like all of 25 seconds of screen time, let it go. The podracing is just pure Star Wars. Fight with Maul is great.

Attack of the Clones - Trash! Jar Jar Binks again, half the movie devoted to Anakin and Padme having meaningful conversations about sand, and the complete destruction of Yoda's character at the end. I might've been able to forgive this one if Yoda had still been a puppet, and had used more force abilities than... whatever it is Yoda was doing in that scene.

I don't like sand. Also what is wrong with Yoda fighting, that was beautiful. I will agree there are some Anakin/Padme scenes that I wouldn't care if they got cut. All in all my favorite movie.

Revenge of the Sith - Watcheable of the Prequels. Padme wasn't a huge part of that movie, which was good (I like the character, but the actress isn't good). We got a healthy dose of Ewan McGreggor, and the scene where he has to fight his best friend was pretty well done. Again, the battle with Yoda wasn't very good (more force, less gainers), and the actor for Palpatine wasn't very good.

What is wrong with Lightsabers for you? Also Palpatine was best in this movie. and all together my number two.

Solo - Pretty okay. This movie got a lot of hatred it really didn't deserve. All they really wanted to do was throw in the backstory about how Han got the Falcon, where Chewie came from, and a healthy dose of Lando Calrisian. Its purpose was to be a fun action movie, and that's what it was, so I think it was pretty good.

I haven't seen it so, sure.

One - Absolutely AMAZING. This movie was super good! I loved it to its core, with engaging characters, a followable plotline, and a good "reality of war" scene near the end where (spoilers) all the main characters die. The actor of Vader wasn't particularly good, but that scene where he invades the Rebel Alliance ship was awesome. This is quite possibly my favorite Star Wars movie.

My thoughts with Rouge one where, Eh, it's ok.

A New Hope - Dang Good! I'm not sure if you're legally allowed to hate on this one. It was the first Star Wars film, which means that you can't point at anything and be like "I feel like that stole away from the themage of the series," because the series wasn't a thing yet. George Lucas did an excellent job introducing the galaxy, the jedi, and the icons of Star Wars in this movie.

A New Hope is my definition of base line Star Wars if it's any better it's good star wars, if it's worse it's bad star wars. It had like a total of ten seconds of lightsabers. But that's just my opinion.

Empire Strikes Back - Absolutely AMAZING. A sequel to a movie is supposed to upstage the last movie, but they rarely do. This one, though; this one did. You really get to see Leia as a character and not a damsel in distress, and Han becomes less of a money-driven swindler and now a money-driven, funny swindler. The "I am your father" line is always pretty great, and I really liked the Chewbacca/C3PO friendship arc.

Hoth was interesting, Training had some highlights, Cloud City was the true gem all in all great movie.

Return of the Jedi - Absolutely AMAZING. This opinion is as controversial as frick, but I loved the ewoks. Nothing quite like little furry space bears to cheer up your day! The "Luke and Leia are siblings" thing was well-implemented for its time, I really liked the sort-of-love-triangle, and the completion of Darth Vader's redemption was pretty great. 11/11 movie.

Finally our views align almost completely, go Ewoks.

The Force Awakens - Okay. I like to cut J.J. some slack on this one because he was handed a HUGE legacy, and living up to it must've been difficult. He had an effective set of villains, a nice crew of protagonists, and a heartrending death scene near the end! I might've cried if SOMEONE hadn't SPOILED IT FOR ME :angry:. Also BB-8 was pretty great. Loved him.

Very good visuals, but lacking in a few things, Good villains I mean come on, am I supposed to be scared of this crybaby that talks too much. Logic, please explain how untrained Ray beat a seasoned killer?  

The Last Jedi - Dang Good! If I don't get hate for loving the ewoks, then I'll get hate for loving this movie. I really appreciated just how well the new director did! He was given a single movie, a jumble of characters, and one dead Carrie Fisher (rest in peace. I love you) to work off of, and he blew it out of the park! People keep talking about how they dislike Luke's grumpiness rather than wisdom, but if you ran away from the galaxy because you felt like you had failed it, then you aren't crashing your ship on an undiscovered planet because you want to enlighten yourself. I like how he expanded on Poe Dameron as a "trigger-happy flyboy," pointing out that cliche among several others. People also hate on Holdo for not telling anybody the plan, but could you imagine telling someone that plan? "We're going to keep running from the entire fleet, then if we get desperate we'll fuel up the unshielded, unarmed transports and make for a nearby planet. You guys will probably all get exploded, and I'll stay here all alone in this ship and try to face down the entire fleet with nothing but my purple hair." The fact that she didn't tell anyone anything was probably better than telling them the truth. I didn't like Rose much (though I'm not entirely sure why). Luke's character arc completion at the end by "facing down the entire first order with a laser sword" and his last sight being that of the two suns was actually quite beautiful. I could've watched him dodge Kylo Ren for hours.

I don't mind Luke so much as the sideQuest feel of the whole thing, also it's just Empire strikes back/Return of the Jedi mixed. Also lightspeed missiles, break everything

Rise of Skywalker - Trash! J.J. Abrams was given the chance to end a remarkable series and he FAILED. There was absolutely no reason whatsoever why Palpatine was even there at all. He abused the opening crawl to introduce the fact that he existed, but even that didn't work! I laughed myself to death when I read that! The whole sith-lord-GLaDOS thing bothered me, and they completely ruined Anakin/Vader, who was supposed to have ended the sith! They started off the movie with an argument between Poe and Rey, but they never expanded on that. They added Lando Calrisian for... what? Aesthetic? He got all of five minutes of screen time. I might've been okay with this movie if they had done the ending well, but they just didn't. They first ripped off Endgame with the whole "I am all the jedi" thing, then the kiss thing just annoyed me. Rey's an independent soul! She needs no man! I did like, however, how J.J. didn't expand on the Rose/Finn love arc, rather pushing them into an almost father/daughter kind of relationship. I was also really satisfied with Kylo Ren's redemption arc, how he completely threw away his affiliation with the dark side alongside his lightsaber. HOWEVER. The movie completely destroyed one of my favorite characters: Hux. The Last Jedi obviously intended for him to have been a power-hungry bad guy, as shown by his willingness to kill Ren in order to take over the First Order. Abrams read off the blaster-pulling incorrectly, assuming him to have been a Resistance sympathizer rather than someone who just wanted to beat the guy who was so favored by Snoke. How does Abrams finish Hux? With a blaster shot to the chest, while Kylo Ren gets to vanish like a jedi after getting the girl.

Also he screwed up the ending. He could've picked any iconic thing to end the movie on, and he chose Rey and BB-8 on Tattooine? Not the Millenium Falcon soaring off into space, or R2D2 and C3PO standing next to each other again. Rey and BB-8.

I haven't seen it, but I've heard enough I don't want to.

On the trilogies together

Prequels

Best Lightsabers, Fights, story, and all around cool factor.

Originals

Fine, not too much to say here, pretty good all things said

Sequels, oh sorry I ment Cash grab.

Bad, story, fights, plot, logic and steals almost everything somewhat decent from the OT

Good visuals though

So there is my thoughts.

5 hours ago, Frustration said:

Logic, please explain how untrained Ray beat a seasoned killer?  

Seasoned killer who's just been shot by Chewie's bowcaster, a weapon shown to kill groups of stormtroopers just from AOE? If you ask me, it's incredible that he even survived that shot.

9 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Seasoned killer who's just been shot by Chewie's bowcaster, a weapon shown to kill groups of stormtroopers just from AOE? If you ask me, it's incredible that he even survived that shot.

Stormtroppers could die if you breathed on them wrong, a shot to the shoulder or legs ends them despite the fact that they have full body armor. As to that, it didn't look like he was having that much trouble, moving, he should have cut both her and Fin down without a second thought, and any other major villain in Star Wars would have done so. exempting ulterior motives

Edited by Frustration

37 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Stormtroppers could die if you breathed on them wrong, a shot to the shoulder or legs ends them despite the fact that they have full body armor. As to that, it didn't look like he was having that much trouble, moving, he should have cut both her and Fin down without a second thought, and any other major villain in Star Wars would have done so. exempting ulterior motives

Chewie's bowcaster literally hit like a grenade launcher, causing a small explosion. The reason it didn't look like he was having any trouble was that he was using the force to sustain himself, just like dozens of jedi and sith have done before. Still makes it a lot harder to focus. His wound was still paining him in TLJ, despite all of the hyper-advanced healing tech they have.

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

Chewie's bowcaster literally hit like a grenade launcher, causing a small explosion. The reason it didn't look like he was having any trouble was that he was using the force to sustain himself, just like dozens of jedi and sith have done before. Still makes it a lot harder to focus. His wound was still paining him in TLJ, despite all of the hyper-advanced healing tech they have.

And? She still beat him, that is like someone with wood tools, killing a dude with Iron, it just shouldn't happen. It's a replay of Empire strikes back, but Luke beats the crap out of Vader.

14 hours ago, Frustration said:

And? She still beat him, that is like someone with wood tools, killing a dude with Iron, it just shouldn't happen. It's a replay of Empire strikes back, but Luke beats the crap out of Vader.

No, it's like an inexperienced but still fairly skilled fighter beating a fighter who's much better than they are, who is on two hearts.

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

No, it's like an inexperienced but still fairly skilled fighter beating a fighter who's much better than they are, who is on two hearts.

Staff fighting does not translate to sword fighting, that was her first time holding that kind of weapon, it's a PC player trying x-box for the first time with no explanation and beating the guy who has been playing for years, even if he's hadicaped there is one logical outcome. 

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Staff fighting does not translate to sword fighting, that was her first time holding that kind of weapon, it's a PC player trying x-box for the first time with no explanation and beating the guy who has been playing for years, even if he's hadicaped there is one logical outcome. 

The thing is, Kylo Ren isn't a very good fighter to begin with. He was only ever apprenticed to Luke, and Snoke couldn't exactly teach him how to use a lightsaber. It would be more like an average PC player going up against that x-box player who thinks they're the best ever, but actually aren't, and have a handicap.

Has anyone seen the three animated tv shows Resistance, Rebels and Clone Wars? Do you like them? Which one is the best in your opinion? I’ve only seen the movies and don’t know which one is considered the best by fans.

9 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Has anyone seen the three animated tv shows Resistance, Rebels and Clone Wars? Do you like them? Which one is the best in your opinion? I’ve only seen the movies and don’t know which one is considered the best by fans.

From my knowledge the consensus is Clone Wars are the best.

Just now, Ammanas said:

I saw all of them except for Resistance and most of season seven of Clone Wars. CW is great, but I like Rebels more, I cared more about the characters, and it felt more mature in some ways. Plus in season three Thrawn comes in, and he's Thrawn! He is my favourite SW character of all times! The season finals are powerful and interesting, and are probably the most invested I've ever been in a TV series except one or two other occasions.