Quick Fix 44: Shadows in the Forest

Straw

1 hour ago, Karnage said:

Again? Really? Why are you so glued to the idea that we have time? Like someone said last time and I agreed with last time this still seems pretty suspicious. 

If only for doing this twice I will place my vote on Striker for now.

I was really only bringing it up again as a joke. If the :P at the end didn’t tip you off, sorry. :P

I'm seriously happy I didn't vote last night. who knows where it would have gone if I had actually voted.

"Oh you don't have to worry about me," Said The Foolish Lord, "I was just walking around the camp when I heard the screams."

"I am fine. No, I don't need help, thank you."

"I was only doing my duty."

"You needn't worry about me."

He shivers and looks around.

"If you do want to help, I have something that could lift my spirits."

"I have asked everyone, but they are cowards and don't dare answer."

He can't stop himself from grinning but conceals it in another exaggerated shiver.

"What in the shade's name is the silver lining of all this?"

It appears that last cycle’s voting discussion will be thoroughly interesting reading, and when I am back at my computer I will finish the half-completed analysis of last cycle that is saved on it.

In the meantime, I have a spot of idle time, so I will still try to weigh in on this cycle’s happenings, even if I am not yet “caught up” all the way. Forgive me if I am found to be unwittingly hashing over old news or asking people to repeat themselves about things I should know already.

5 hours ago, The_God_King said:

Wow that was quite the great lynch! While I dislike D1 lynches I like when they work out! Xino’s death throws some obvious shade on me but it seems like a foolish kill coming if I was an elim. Xino was also trying to rally efforts in the dead doc so the elims probably thought he was an immediate threat.

Throwing shade... Was that a pun :D

Could you please explain to me how you think Xino’s death makes you suspicious?

4 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Well...not what I was expecting. I was enjoying seeing a pretty active xino. And I’m surprised Rae was actually an elim. I was not getting that vibe at all. Also, this is probably the part where I get suspicion for attempting to start a train that wasn’t Rae. I’d probably get into myself for that if I wasn’t me. :P

So...would it be too much to mention that we have even more time now that we’ve got a successful lynch under our belts? :P

Also, I’m gonna go through and see how people were interacting with xino’s ideas to see who seemed most against them. Or at least wary of them.

• No, this is the part where you say this is the part where you get suspicion for attempting to start a train that was not Rae. I had forgotten the extent to which you guys are self aware about these sort of things :P
  • No, that’s actually fair. We already have the mutineers on the back foot, so we can afford to prioritize accuracy over speed at this point. With that in mind, we also theoretically possess a lot more information about the mutineer team than we did last cycle, so I would probably still support going forwards with a lynch vote this cycle.
  • I would caution that this early in the game, the mutineers would have no need to target somebody they had anything against, whether openly or privately. I would not be entirely surprised if their reasons for attacking xino consisted solely of xino being the first name on the player list. But I wish you luck in your analyses.
4 hours ago, Kidpen said:

Alright, well. That was overall an excellent lynch, considering nobody knew what was going on.

This rather completely mirrors my own reaction to the writeup.

4 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Definitely :ph34r:

Sart, maybe. I’m a little less likely to clear BR for her vote. It very easily could’ve been a vote to distance herself from Rae. Especially with all the hedging she did about agreeing with her but also disagreeing.

I think if we’re going to clear anyone for their votes, you’re probably the most cleared. I could see a world where Sart is an elim and chose to vote on Rae. It’s more likely if Kidpen is also an elim, but it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch for me to imagine elim!Sart condemning Rae for the villager brownie points. :P

@DrakeMarshall Welcome to the game!!

Thank you!! :)

With the disclaimer that I have not actually read BR’s posts yet, I would like to play devil’s advocate: If a mutineer were voting on a team mate, they would want to get noticed doing it, so a vote cast against Rae with low confidence might be even better for clearing BR.

Personally, I am inclined to trust every one of the voters who lynched Rae last cycle. I am not going to clear anyone but I trust them considerably more than I trust anybody else.

4 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

I'm in the same boat :D hi Drake.

RIP -_-

I still need to go through the first cycle again and ruminate on my thoughts, but I think, for now, I'm inclined to compartmentalize Sart and BR as village.

Greetings fellow distracted person :D

Personally I am excited about all of the shenanigans that could take place in the shade doc, so I hope you will forgive me for hoping the rest of the deceased is anything but peaceful :P

I already gave my thoughts about Sart and BR.

4 hours ago, The_God_King said:

If I were an elim, throwing a vote on another elim isn't a bad idea in this game. It balances the dead doc so that the role block won't be as effective. I think the elim's made a move to control the role block action. With this in mind, and potentially 4 other elims, killing an elim d1 makes sense. The problem is that we have a bunch of scenarios

1- the lynch was a happy accident. Villagers killed an elim by chance

2- at least one elim jumped in to secure a place amongst the village

3- the elim's planned to occupy the dead doc to control the role block

4- the elim's secured the vote to occupy the dead doc but there were villagers amongst the vote

I'm thinking options 2 or 4 are the most likely

If what you are proposing were true, then the tactical advantage gained by the eliminators by controlling the shade vote would only last for a short time before the dead villagers piled up. This is definitely a silver lining to losing a teammate on the first day, and probably a small additional incentive for proactive bussing, but do you truly believe that this is something the mutineers did on purpose?

4 hours ago, Furamirionind said:

No, this is the part where you reference you will be gaining suspicion for starting a train other than Rae, and gain suspicion for stating that : P

Ack Fura I literally just typed that you thief!!! Ruuuuuuuuuude :P

Or I guess technically I stole them from you since you posted first. Please forgive my shameless plagiarism.

4 hours ago, Furamirionind said:

Yeah, BR basically was the first real vote on Rae, with reasons. And Sart got her lynched, so they both should probably be village.
I'm actually really suspicious of Mist right now. I went offline immediately after my post and didn't see they had sheeped me onto Kidpen. I find that very suspicious when they voted on me for voting myself? ( @Mist I'd still like more of an explanation on that please xD ). Before my post, the lynch was 

Arraenae (2): Brightness, Megasif
DrakeMarshall (1): xinoehp512
Furamirionind (3): Furamirionind, StrikerEZ, Mist
xinoehp512 (1): CadCom
Sart (1): TGK

An elim would want to keep a player higher than Rae. It's possible Mist gambled on joining my lynch in the hopes I wouldn't return to vote (which did almost happen). Why they would have followed my vote to Kidpen specifically, I'm not certain. However it is possible they felt they needed to leave my lynch, and wanted to vote on someone with a vote. Without a votecount in front of them, they just sheeped me for ease. This is all speculation, but it's the best reasoning I have for Mist's actions, unless Mist wants to give me better ones.

As Sart got Ninja'd, this is also the votecount he had when voting on Rae. I'm tempted to speculate about a Sart/Fura team, but for some reason I find that unlikely...
Anyways, Following Sart's vote it now looked like:

Arraenae (3): Brightness, Megasif, Sart
Kidpen (2): Furamirionind, Mist
DrakeMarshall (1): xinoehp512
Furamirionind (1): StrikerEZ, 
xinoehp512 (1): CadCom
Sart (1): TGK

This means that anyone who posted after Sart could have equalized the vote on Kidpen. These people are The Archivest, Kynedath, and TGK. I'm not sure this is really clear-able though, as there would either need to be a last minute bandwagon on Drake/Fura/Xino/Sart/Kidpen. This would really incriminate Rae and those participating in the bandwagon,as she would likely get lynched this turn. This means that while I think they might be slightly less likely to be elims, it's probably not a big thing.

I'll add I'm not super fond of TGK removing their vote last minute, but from what I'm gathering of their playstyle, this doesn't seem unlike them.

At least until Mist responds to my questions, I'm going to have my vote on her.

Mist

Observing the voting patterns alone, I got the impression that Mist was one of the most suspicious people, as the prime candidate for defending Rae.

But since I have not yet read any of the context behind Mist’s vote, I will for now withhold my judgement. Depending on what I see I could go either way on this.

4 hours ago, Mist said:

I didn't think Arranae was suspicious, wanted a lynch, and you were the next highest person. Also, semi-poke/motivation for you to do what you said. I removed it after you did what you said. I felt like I needed to vote on someone. Your reasons made sense, and, yes, it was convenient.

I reiterate that I am not going to pass conclusive judgement on Mist yet, but I can’t find much fault in this response.

4 hours ago, The_God_King said:

I can see your side. If this were a smaller game it would be insane. Every elim counts. In a game this large, it might be different. I actually think C1 was a perfect place for the elim's to kill themselves. Also, we have to remember that it may have been a matter of convenience (options 2 and 4), but this goes into multiple scenarios and doesn't provide us much insight. By C2/3 any elims would be outnumbered by a large margin. They effectively defeat the roleblock this round and if two villagers die at the end of the cycle they may be able to kick up enough dust to keep them from being effective. It's a bold plan but I could see several players pulling it off. 

Okay I can understand your logic here. I do not fully agree with it but your elaborations were definitely helpful.

1 hour ago, Karnage said:

Again? Really? Why are you so glued to the idea that we have time? Like someone said last time and I agreed with last time this still seems pretty suspicious. 

If only for doing this twice I will place my vote on Striker for now.

---

Also sorry guys for not voting, I was in the middle of something and time caught up to me. 

I am curious why you removed the :P from Striker’s comment because I did not read it as being very serious?

I will grant that it was maybe half serious but still.

Edited by DrakeMarshall

Elkanah, Elandera, Brightness Radiant, Kynedath, A Joe in the Bush, Elbereth, Sart, Zillah, and Cadcom haven't posted yet this cycle. 

I think Striker is just being funny, but I'm not sure about them. 

I'm wondering what Fura is even doing. 

"You keep asking that question, Lord. We have caught a Mutineer and proved that they are back. They will not keep the wool over any eyes anymore. ... Are you sure you don't need help?"

Were you talking to yourself or RPing your responses to others, whose questions you didn't put in your RP? @Lord

4 minutes ago, DrakeMarshall said:

I am curious why you removed the :P from Striker’s comment because I did not read it as being very serious?

I didn't know that I had accidentally removed the emote. But, you've got to admit. When they use that emote on what seems an average of 5 times a post, not only does it make everything seem serious but it removes its meaning and makes what-ever it is attached to seem like they are trying to make that post serious.  Does that make sense to y'all. You guys are saying that they are usually this suspicious, so I guess until I see a better target for my vote I will keep it on Striker.

9 minutes ago, Mist said:

Were you talking to yourself or RPing your responses to others, whose questions you didn't put in your RP? @Lord

It was an open-ended RP intended for no one and everyone.

I assume my character managed to get someone's attention. and this person was taking care of them or something of that sort. I just don't know who yet.

if you want to ask the question, feel free to do so. we will assume in RP that you were concerned about me/wary of me and were keeping an eye on me. or whatever.

that is my character, he is alive. I can't stop him. ;)

he won't stop annoying you until you satisfy him ;0

9 minutes ago, Karnage said:

I didn't know that I had accidentally removed the emote. But, you've got to admit. When they use that emote on what seems an average of 5 times a post, not only does it make everything seem serious but it removes its meaning and makes what-ever it is attached to seem like they are trying to make that post serious.  Does that make sense to y'all. You guys are saying that they are usually this suspicious, so I guess until I see a better target for my vote I will keep it on Striker.

Yeah, that’s a pretty fair analysis of my posting style. I’ve been kind of overdoing it this game, but I do tend to overuse :P quite a bit. It’s mostly just my way to show that “hey, I’m saying this thing I kinda believe, but mostly this is a joke.”

Also, I’m not gonna try arguing with you about your vote on me because I think your reasoning behind it is perfectly valid. I did phrase things in that first post in away that could give people a false sense of security. I’m just gonna say, are you sure I’m the person you suspect the most? If that’s the case, then leave your vote. I don’t mind. :P

3 hours ago, Mist said:

Actually, Fura. I think I might have had a post I was suspicious of. I'll look. Maybe declining the codes because putting another one? 

Kidpen, you could post a new encoded thing each post and decode at the beginning of the next post. Since Shades can't edit others' posts, that could verify, unless they forget. 

Cool, I look forward to your next post explaining what you found suspicious. = )

1 hour ago, Mist said:

Elkanah, Elandera, Brightness Radiant, Kynedath, A Joe in the Bush, Elbereth, Sart, Zillah, and Cadcom haven't posted yet this cycle. 

I think Striker is just being funny, but I'm not sure about them. 

I'm wondering what Fura is even doing. 

hehehehehehehehe. Good summary of my playstyle, you just made. : P

Also, I see no explanation. Your previous post made it seem as if you were unsure why you even voted me. Perhaps that's a village sign? I wouldn't know though, as I don't think I've ever run into this before. xD

I'm going to keep my vote on you for now, but I'm not 100% sold on it.

1 hour ago, DrakeMarshall said:

Ack Fura I literally just typed that you thief!!! Ruuuuuuuuuude :P

Or I guess technically I stole them from you since you posted first. Please forgive my shameless plagiarism.

How dare yo...
Oh whatever. : P
Nice to be playing with you again... And... now here comes my old problems of literally always trusting you unconditionally. xD My brain wants to read your single analysis post as village, despite it being, perhaps, the most NAI thing in this thread. : P

Fura, I voted on you because I wasn't suspicious of Arranae and you were the next person who could break that tie and cause a lynch, which provides information. Sart voted Arranae while I was typing up my promised edit with a vote. 

I think I voted on Kidpen because he shut down the code thing, despite having posted an alternative to it not working. I'm not exactly sure why I did that. Convenience, code, poke? Again, I'm not sure.

Vote Count:
Mist (1): Furamirionind
Furamirionind (1): The_Archivist
Striker (1): Karnage

Well, I'm glad we lynched an eliminator, but don't expect a last minute vote from me for the next cycles, since I have to work during rollover. In fact, this is probably going to be the only post I make this cycle, so I had better make it count.

There's three people with votes on them currently. Mist is the most obviously suspicious. However, they are a new player, and they're suspicious voting has somehow wrapped around to being not suspicious to me. Likewise with Fura, voting on yourself should be suspicious, except they place their voted on Bard rather than someone who already had a vote. If they were an Eliminator, I couldn't see them doing that. Striker is at least a little bit suspicious, but something about his tone makes me read him villager.

I think I'm going to put my vote on Drake Marshall. He made a really big post this cycle, but reading it felt like he was just parroting what other people had already said. It felt like a way to seem active, while not actually contributing anything. It's kind of a gut read, but I'm feeling somewhat confident now.

As an aside, we should all strive to cast votes. While it is good that we're having this much activity, only half the players voted last cycle, so it's kind of hard to read the people in the shadows. I encourage you to take a shot in the dark, even if you aren't confident. Gut votes are better than no votes, because they spark discussion and naturally lead to more activity.

6 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

That makes sense. I’m not super glued to the idea of them being elims (and would find it very surprising if they both were elims), but I think it’s important to not clear people too early. Maybe I’m going too hard on the other side of the spectrum.

Feels like you are:P lol I think you're just an elim worried I'm too trusted now :ph34r: (just teasing him in case others think I'm actually sus xD) 

Duuuuuude I can't believe Rae flipped elim I'm so happy and feel proud even tho I feel like Rae is probably super mad at me cuz I feel like what she was saying might've been something she'd say as a villager too. Don't hate me Rae! xD It was honestly all I could really find for a cycle 1 lynch. If anyone was checking the bottom of the page they clearly would've seen me online for the entire cycle after I voted and I was keeping up with everything. I even rp'd once after that vote. So it clearly wasn't me posting early for distancing with the hopes of taking the vote off later. Even if I was an elim it was kinda clear that I wanted to lynch Rae. 

Oh also @StrikerEZ I was never agreeing but not agreeing with Rae in the way you made it sound. I was consistent. I disagreed with part of her posts and agreed with other parts and I specified as much.

I'll do other analysis later if I can but for now I just got off work recently and have been awake for over 17 hours. 

8 minutes ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

Feels like you are:P lol I think you're just an elim worried I'm too trusted now :ph34r: (just teasing him in case others think I'm actually sus xD) 

Maybe I am?????? :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

Oh also @StrikerEZ I was never agreeing but not agreeing with Rae in the way you made it sound. I was consistent. I disagreed with part of her posts and agreed with other parts and I specified as much.

Hmmm. I guess I should probably reread things before posting about them based on faulty recollections of what was said.

20 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Maybe I am?????? :ph34r:

Hmmm. I guess I should probably reread things before posting about them based on faulty recollections of what was said.

Maybe you are:P 

It's fine, I did clarify in my post that I disagreed "in part" with Rae cuz I didn't want people being like "oh you just contradicted yourself" lol

2 hours ago, Furamirionind said:

How dare yo...
Oh whatever. : P
Nice to be playing with you again... And... now here comes my old problems of literally always trusting you unconditionally. xD My brain wants to read your single analysis post as village, despite it being, perhaps, the most NAI thing in this thread. : P

You have my sincerest thanks for your leniency on my deplorable habits of thievery :P

It has been a few months hasn’t it. It’s fun to be back in the game with everyone.

Yesssssss trust me unconditionally. This could not ever go wrong in any conceivable way no siree :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Sart said:

Vote Count:
Mist (1): Furamirionind
Furamirionind (1): The_Archivist
Striker (1): Karnage

Well, I'm glad we lynched an eliminator, but don't expect a last minute vote from me for the next cycles, since I have to work during rollover. In fact, this is probably going to be the only post I make this cycle, so I had better make it count.

There's three people with votes on them currently. Mist is the most obviously suspicious. However, they are a new player, and they're suspicious voting has somehow wrapped around to being not suspicious to me. Likewise with Fura, voting on yourself should be suspicious, except they place their voted on Bard rather than someone who already had a vote. If they were an Eliminator, I couldn't see them doing that. Striker is at least a little bit suspicious, but something about his tone makes me read him villager.

I think I'm going to put my vote on Drake Marshall. He made a really big post this cycle, but reading it felt like he was just parroting what other people had already said. It felt like a way to seem active, while not actually contributing anything. It's kind of a gut read, but I'm feeling somewhat confident now.

As an aside, we should all strive to cast votes. While it is good that we're having this much activity, only half the players voted last cycle, so it's kind of hard to read the people in the shadows. I encourage you to take a shot in the dark, even if you aren't confident. Gut votes are better than no votes, because they spark discussion and naturally lead to more activity.

That’s fine.

Agreeing with other people too much is usually the opposite of my problem in this game, and I am far from being finished this cycle, so I doubt this will continue to be a problem for very long. For now though your observations about me probably aren’t wrong.

yo 

if you can’t tell from that first line I decided to go with the Stink style posting because I don’t really have the time to take this game seriously 

(Note: I still haven’t read C1, I will tomorrow but it’s late and I don’t want this to take three hours so you’ll get what you get)

@Mist pointed out that Rae poked Aman and then took it off; that makes me lean very mildly towards Aman being evil, because if you’re going to vote on a teammate it’d be him (because he can talk his way out of Any Lynch low key still exasperated about LG61 but whatever)  Haven’t gone back and read the posts though so dunno.

@Kidpen If I wanted to actually prove my identity I’d just share the doc with myself but that’s boring so let’s not do actual like confirming stuff because that’s not the point

@The_God_King I super disagree on the elims going after the role block. Because 1) it’s a lot easier to find more elims once you’ve found one, like a snowball effect or something 2) the roleblock just... isn’t that useful for them? Villagers can go after their suspicions and try to hit the kill but elims... they could try to hit someone with a knife, but that’s only useful if one of them is being hit anyways - a knife hit on a villager is good for them! And being able to block a protect if you know who has it is nice, but protects succeed rarely enough that it’s 100% not worth dying for. Aand I had a third one but I forgot it so moving on I guess

@Furamirionind you’ve been hanging out on MU too much, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else use “sheep” as a verb on here :P

Someone mentioned that Sart and BR are probably not both elims. I officially endorse this statement with my Seal of Approval (Elproval? There’s a better wordplay in there somewhere)

Oh right @The_God_King if you think the villagers need an elim in there mucking things up in order to not be effective, I think you haven’t seen enough villages sir :P 

@Mist Encoding and decoding for every single line in a doc would take so looong my head hurts thinking about it

@Karnage so basically :P for some people (absolutely including me even though I haven’t actually used it that much in this post) is kind of an indicator that the thing is said with a smile? So not necessarily a joke but tongue in cheek or light hearted or something like that? Whereas things said without it are Serious and Meant. Idk if that made any sense but it’s a thing and hopefully you’ll get used to it I guess?

Assuming I don’t have another Unexpected Sleep (tm) I’ll be back on in the morning to post and hopefully go over C1, but for now uhh God King for trying to push the idea that the elims wanted one of their own dead for what is in my opinion a mediocre prize at best and using that reasoning to push suspicion on the villageriest players in the game right now. (I’m not saying they’re confirmed good or anything, to be clear, but “they’re soft cleared and we should probably look at other people for lynch targets for the next couple cycles” feels like enough said on that topic)

Who will come back for my next post, multiquote!El or casual!El? Who knows? Certainly not me! 

EDIT: ALSO PM ME I WANT TO TALK 

Edited by Elbereth

26 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

you’ve been hanging out on MU too much, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else use “sheep” as a verb on here :P

Actually, I've seen Stick, Drake, and DeTess all use it before... And a quick forum search shows me in addition to those three, it's also been used by Elandera, CadCom, Sart, Striker, Aman (predictably), and Megasif. : P

But... I mean, it is a lot less used here. Lol
At least I stopped using terms like CFD and such... Though I still really like the term "thunderdome", and if one ever happens here, I'm totally calling it that xD

@Elbereth in a regular QF I would full heartedly agree with you. The whole shades and how many of us there are makes me question it. The biggest thing is that I pointed out several options. Two being that they planned to occupy the dead doc, and the other two that they didn’t. The one I’m worried about is more if one of the elims decided to break the tie to gain trust. Oh well I’m a bit paranoid! Either way I don’t think anyone is quite clear yet. Maybe less likely to be an elim but I’m not a big fan of clearing anyone off a C1 lynch especially where being dead isn’t the end of the game. I need to look through more to confirm. I’ll probably do that next cycle. Hope that clears up a little bit of my thought process. I don’t throw a vote out because I haven’t gathered enough info to make a good suggestion. Im a bit suspicious of the vote because I thought of all the stuff that had been said, my comments had been rather neutral. But if it stirs the pot, so be it :) 

Spoiler
On 5/9/2020 at 1:38 PM, Arraenae said:

Hello hello everyone. I haven't been around here for a while. Just a heads up, I've been dealing with a repetitive strain injury in my hands for a while, so I'm going to be using voice typing for most of this. If you see me post something completely nonsensical, feel free to ask for clarification. Voice typing misinterprets my words a lot.

I actually disagree with Elkanah’s statement that knives should be saved until the end. Generally, vigilante kills are very very swingy. Using a knife at the end of the game, when there are far fewer players, is significantly riskier than using it in the start or the middle of the game. At the end of the game, the wrong knife kill can put the village into a state of LyLo, where they must kill an eliminator this turn or lose. Comparatively, at the start and the middle of the game, there are still a lot of other bodies left. If you use a knife at the end of the game, you should be very sure that the person you are killing is an eliminator.

The last time that I played, it was usual for protection rolls to initially protect either people who were very active in leading the discussion, players who because of their reputation were likely to be killed quickly, or themselves. I don't know if the meta for eliminator kills has shifted, but if it hasn’t, then this is probably still a safe bet.

Not sure there's anything to say about silver powder. You have it or you don't. It's a completely passive item, so there aren’t many choices to make with it.

@Straw, some questions. Which of these situations are allowed:

Shade A types something. Shade B edits Shade A's text.

Shade A types something. Shade B edits Shade A's text. Shade A edits Shade B's edits.

Shade A types something. Shade B steals Shade A's formatting and types something elsewhere in the doc pretending to be Shade A.

Shade A types something in one format. They insert a section in the middle with a different type of formatting pretending to have been someone else.

I'm confused at how the whole Shade doc works.

On 5/9/2020 at 7:05 PM, Arraenae said:

I thought Joe ran QF16?

On 5/9/2020 at 7:21 PM, Arraenae said:

If we're slapping on poke votes, I might as well go with Aman. @Amanuensis, hi.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:50 PM, Arraenae said:

Oh, fine. Aman.

@Kidpen I don't think Xino's code thing is necessarily suspicious. Feels like the type of thing someone would say if they want to feel clever with codes, in any alignment.

20 hours ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

Okay so my 2 hour nap turned into an early night of 8 hours of sleep :rolleyes: so I'm here finally.

A few things from reading through the thread. I think the knives are best used towards the middle game. Using them on any of the first 2 cycles at least is basically useless because no one has generally done or said enough to be worth killing. Saving them till late game is risky cuz you need to be right but you have more info than you would early game at least. The thing is, if you haven't found anyone you really suspect until late game then you aren't instantly suspicious for saving your knife lol. It's yours to decide what you do with which is part of the game, but it is good to listen to others opinions. (Gee now I sound like I have a knife xD) 

But yeah, middle game is ideal because you should have at least 1 suspicion by then I should hope. Also, I'd be really wary of passing knives. If I was gonna die and had a knife I might not pass it just because you don't know the alignment of who you're passing it to. I obviously would know my own alignment and I think having a knife out of play might be safer than passing it to an unknown. Anyways enough rambling about knives. 

As far as other stuff that stood out to me...

@StrikerEZ acting suspicious as usual no matter his alignment :lol:

I like how @Arraenae pointed out that saving knives till the end was dangerous.

@Megasif giving village reads on Elkanah and Cadcom and soft sus on Striker isn't really alignment indicative but I love lists like these to look back on when people die since interactions make up very important webs.

I do like this part of @Karnage post:

Agree with all this. 

(By the way I'm on mobile and hate having my posts get lost or deleted so I'm using 2 tabs if you're wondering why I'm copy pasting and not quoting lol)

@Furamirionind I'd hesitate using anything to soft clear players cuz I never trust GMs to do what I would do or what I think "should" be done. This always gets risky and leads to trickery. Especially if someone got passed a knife before a player was killed and then just claimed to have had it all along.

@Elbereth no special privileges, we're gonna kill you cycle 1 muahahaha :P jk Although I don't really like this cuz asking it makes it look like you're either soft clear village or elim using a not very nice tactic to be safe from the lynch for a couple cycles. A better way would've just been to ask everyone to give you a cycle or 2 if they don't mind. Rather than specifically referencing the elims. It makes it feel a little too "out of game but also still in game". Not trying to be mean or anything, just not sure it was the best way to go about it.

(I should really have not started this on mobile. Now it won't let me tag people anymore ugh)

Anyways what @Kynedath said about using knives sooner rather than later, I think it should be more like later rather than sooner lol. Using them middle to late game. Because simply using a knife just because it's getting too far into the cycles might not be the best thing to push. Having an extra kill late in the game can be useful even if it's risky.

I think that's all I'll say for now cuz I'm groggy and tired of sifting through the thread for the second time. Gonna have one more quick look back through for who I found less village. (Since cycle 1 that tends to be the way I view it more)

Quote from @Arraenae (I'll go back on my laptop and actually tag these people) 

Just because we have a lot of bodies doesn't mean we should see them as more disposable. I'd like to keep the village count as high as possible and shooting blind at the start of game isn't a good way to go imo. I think I'll put my vote on you for now just because this seems a little like not caring if villagers die which should be bad regardless of the cycle because that's how we get into low number areas quicker. It's not a hard sus at all, just enough of one for a cycle 1 vote when I got not much else. Arraenae (again, will color when I switch to laptop)

I also have Fura at a soft sus just for the thing about soft clearing people with knives. If they had actually pushed that I would've voted them instead.

Edit: while I admit to having said I liked what Arraenae said (about knives being saved till late was dangerous) early in my post, I think it was good to point it out but I don't agree with her line of thinking that early game is better than late game as I think middle to late is best and more beneficial for not racking up a body count with less info on people and less solid suspicions.

17 hours ago, Megasif said:

I dont have much to say on the mechanics of knives etc than what has already been said at this point.

I don't know how to feel about Xino making a 6th one vote wagon as a poke vote a few hours before cycle end.

Making a vote here to get things going : while I do not solidly elim read Arraenae, I'm not getting a villa vibe here either. May or may not change before cycle end.

Arraenae  

15 hours ago, Sart said:

Well, Joe posted so A Joe in the Bush. We're also having a traditional last minute bandwagon, this time on Furamirionind. It's interesting that after Arraenae got a second vote from Megasif, two votes went on Furamirionind. Something's wrong here, so I'm going to tie the votes by putting a vote on Arraenae. While it is true that if you save knives to the very end you run the risk of dying with the knife, it's way too dangerous to use it early. It's a careful balance, but that post felt like an elim trying to get easy village kills.

And, ninja'd... Okay, that was the fastest I've seen a lynch train derail. I think everyone besides Arraenae has only one vote, so to cement the lynch I'm keeping my vote on Arraenae.

Collected all the posts related to Rae. Nothing new, just thought it might be helpful.

To get all the buildup out of the way, Mist.

I feel like Mist's original vote on Fura was pretty reasonable, and as I said a self vote under different circumstances would get an instant vote from me. What I definitely don't think was super reasonable was the vote on my that came relatively late in the cycle and was just sheeping (I feel like that's a pretty normal word to use) fura. Pretty weak evidence but I want to vote on someone up for the lynch and everyone else seems villagery or neuteral to me.

Also can I just say that I kind of hate the logic of people being an elim because their trying to look like they're contributing without contributing? I get that applied to me constantly and I don't think it's at all a valid approach. Especially, in this case, because the votee has only one real post.

This is the post that I started earlier today but could not finish before now because I was away from my computer.

I wish you all a happy Mother's Day.

Recap of last cycle (and by recap I mean multi-quote literally everything and inundate a page in all of my thoughts to make up for my silence last cycle whoops):

Dropping out, removing Remorse from the player list.

Sorry to see you go, Devotary.

I guess that means... We will now be killing each other without Remorse B)

On 5/9/2020 at 11:45 AM, Elkanah said:

Hello to all the new people! Welcome to SE. Also Welcome back those of you who have been gone for a while. I hope you don't mind me taking the lead of the party for a bit. There really isn't much to discuss in the form of roles so I'll go through what I see quickly.

I recommend using the med kit every turn until it is gone. I'm guessing maybe five of these.

I recommend not using the knife until we are down to less than ten players. I doubt there are more than three. 

I bet at least one traitor has silver dust. There are maybe three of these. If they do, that player will be the one to submit every kill. Not much we can do about that because they can't be roleblocked.

The rest of us get to try to guess who is bad, so voting is very important. 

Please don't die to inactivity. Also I will break any tied lynches. Unless It would kill me to do so.

Happy hunting!

I don't believe we've met, so I extend to you my greetings.

It is possible that Straw desires an unusual distribution of items, or even that the distribution was randomized. But if not, I would further conjecture that the mutineers probably received a medical kit. At least from where I am standing, the tactical implications are a little too juicy to pass up:

• The mutineers have a chance to predict and counter knives from loyal crew members. But only a limited number of times. The balance of this dynamic seems favorable.
  • The mutineers have the option to throw away their protection in order to play various mind games. And who doesn't love mind games?

I am not at this stage in the game going to treat possession of any particular item as alignment indicative, but I could conceive of a situation later in the game where it would be alignment indicative.

I will do my best not to die of inactivity :P

I would ordinarily oppose you and support a tied lynch, but on a closer observation of the rules, ties result in no lynch happening, so yes I agree lets not have any tied votes.

Would you happen to be one of the players who start most games with role analyses, or is it this setup in particular?

On 5/9/2020 at 0:10 PM, The_God_King said:

Interesting analysis @Elkanah. I find nothing entirely objectable about your immediate thoughts on the uses of items. For taking the lead of the party you may find some opposition but for day 1 I will stick back and make sure nothing goes crazy.

This gives me a very and exceedingly minor village impression. The way you phrased this implies that you were actively searching for something to object about. At the outset of the game, I believe a loyal crew member who is attempting to solve the game would be slightly more likely to be possessed of a critical mindset, whereas that is not as much the priority for a mutineer. However, I will stress again that this is only slightly alignment indicative.

On 5/9/2020 at 0:26 PM, xinoehp512 said:

Hello all to QF44!

To start, a smidgen of analysis.

I find this mechanic interesting, to say the least. More than likely, the villagers will always outnumber the eliminators in the category of the dead, so as long as trickery can be avoided then the roleblock should be usable for the village purposes. 

GMs, I have a few questions. Are shades are allowed to edit their own text? Also, is the vote that they are not told the results of is the vote on what the roleblock?

It is ironic, to say the least, that the person who expressed the greatest interest in the mechanics of the shade doc will be one of the first ones to join it.

Tonight excepted, we can probably expect the shade's role block to be controlled by a majority of villagers, but the main quandary arises in communicating with the shades. Even if the shades manage to block the mutineer's kill and thus identify a mutineer, they would have no way of communicating that fact with us (although they could at least continue to block that one person).

I suppose we might be able to devise a rudimentary form of communication with the shades in the event that they identify a mutineer. It would lag at least 1 cycle behind any major discoveries though, and would be susceptible to mutineers tampering with it if we are unlucky. @Straw are living players informed that they were role blocked even if they did not attempt an action?

On 5/9/2020 at 0:57 PM, StrikerEZ said:

Okay, I’m just gonna pop in real quick to say hello! I think that Elkanah’s right about waiting to use the knives. There probably aren’t too many of them, and using them this early in the game is more likely to hit a villager than an elim. Unless you’re worried about your own survival, I think it’s best to just wait on the knives unless you really, really suspect someone is an elim  

Also, with 22 players, I’d expect 5 elims. Ignoring the knives, we have six mislynches until we hit LyLo. Plenty of time to start finding people we suspect and stuff. :P

What do you mean by "worried about your own survival"? This is not a question of major significance, I am just curious what you had in mind here.

With regards to Striker's comment about there being plenty of time in the game to find the mutineers, I really have very little to say about it that hasn't already been said. I don't particularly agree with the sentiment in Striker's comment, but on the other hand, Striker actually voted last cycle unlike many other players (unfortunately including myself), so I would hesitate to accuse him of trying to stall the game discussion.

On 5/9/2020 at 1:38 PM, Arraenae said:

I actually disagree with Elkanah’s statement that knives should be saved until the end. Generally, vigilante kills are very very swingy. Using a knife at the end of the game, when there are far fewer players, is significantly riskier than using it in the start or the middle of the game. At the end of the game, the wrong knife kill can put the village into a state of LyLo, where they must kill an eliminator this turn or lose. Comparatively, at the start and the middle of the game, there are still a lot of other bodies left. If you use a knife at the end of the game, you should be very sure that the person you are killing is an eliminator.

The last time that I played, it was usual for protection rolls to initially protect either people who were very active in leading the discussion, players who because of their reputation were likely to be killed quickly, or themselves. I don't know if the meta for eliminator kills has shifted, but if it hasn’t, then this is probably still a safe bet.

Not sure there's anything to say about silver powder. You have it or you don't. It's a completely passive item, so there aren’t many choices to make with it.

@Straw, some questions. Which of these situations are allowed:

Shade A types something. Shade B edits Shade A's text.

Shade A types something. Shade B edits Shade A's text. Shade A edits Shade B's edits.

Shade A types something. Shade B steals Shade A's formatting and types something elsewhere in the doc pretending to be Shade A.

Shade A types something in one format. They insert a section in the middle with a different type of formatting pretending to have been someone else.

I'm confused at how the whole Shade doc works.

At least to me, the most likely interpretation for Rae's advice about item usage is that it was primarily camouflaging. My memory is a bit hazy as far as Rae's propensity towards stabbing other players in past games is concerned, but I get the feeling she would have given this advice even if she were a villager.

It is rather more of interest to me that apparently she was inquiring after the different kinds of tricks you are allowed to pull in the shade doc. Reading this, I can more readily see where The God King was coming from with the theory that the mutineers conspired to get Rae lynched on purpose. I still do not think that is what happened, but it does help me better frame the mutineer's apparent reluctance to fight against Rae's lynch.

On 5/9/2020 at 2:04 PM, CadCom said:

xinoehp is totally an elim

CadCom, you cad!!!!

I can't believe you would pull the wool over our eyes like this!!!! :P

On 5/9/2020 at 2:54 PM, Straw said:

First of all, I have a fairly big example in the rules doc that covers some of this this.

1. Not allowed.

2. Not allowed, see answer for #1.

3. Allowed.

4. Allowed.

No. It worked that way in QF16, but was changed. This change was mostly due to the fact that the Shades were nerfed (roleblock instead of conditional kill, anonymous doc).

These rules are most intriguing. I earnestly await reading the shade doc when this game ends :)

(but all things held equal, I would prefer that I do not get to see the shade doc until then :P)

On 5/9/2020 at 4:50 PM, Furamirionind said:

Personally, I'd say this changes based on what happens this game. I would strongly discourage anyone from using a knife C1, though generally I'd just say that we should use them on people we are pretty sure are evil, regardless of when in the game it happens... I think that's a pretty good compromise. : P

Oh dear, I seem to have only narrowly avoided copying Fura almost verbatim a second time. Phew, that was a close call :P reeeeee all of my best points are getting stolen :P

Also speaking of knives, I'm not going to pretend to know enough to guess at how many are in this game. However people that started with knives are almost certainly village. with 22 players, an elim composition where they start with a knife probably only has 3 elims, or 4 with 2 new(ish) elims to offset that. This brings up the point that we could probably use knives to soft clear players... But that's no fun so lets not do that? : P

If Straw were on the fence about running the game with 4 or 5 mutineers, I could see how 4 mutineers + 1 knife might be a good compromise.

I would definitely lean towards running this game with 5 mutineers though. It's a good amount for 22 players. So I agree that it is unlikely the mutineers got any knives.

On 5/9/2020 at 5:17 PM, Kidpen said:

Oh shoot I didn't realize this had started! Hi! I'll post something substantial soon.

One of us!! One of us!! :D

On 5/9/2020 at 5:33 PM, xinoehp512 said:

Ah, okay. That rules out color changes to confirm identity, then. :P

It doesn't rule out other methods, though... :ph34r:

I propose that we each come up with a few simple cipher-texts as a means of verification. For example, you could take two words such as 'cat' and 'dog' and turn them into their number equivalents (a=1, b=2 and so on). In this instance, that gets you 3 1 20 and 4 15 7. Add the two together: so 3+4=7, 1+15=16, and 20+7=27. 27 is greater than 26, so subtract 26 in order to get 1, leaving you with 7,16, and 1. Turn that back into letters to get GPA. That one probably wouldn't prove overly difficult to crack via concerted effort, however, so best to do something longer.

Then, if you get sent to the shade document and want to verify your identity, start with the two words in their decoded form and end with a predetermined stopping sequence (potentially including a code to verify your identity on your next comment.) For instance, someone using code GPA might have a sentence like this:

CATDOG: This is Xinoehp, checking in. How's it going?<LSSTCAGR>

I'm not insisting this be used by everyone, but I thought it might be a cool idea. :) It shouldn't be too difficult for most people either (sorry if I've explained it badly- I'll try again if anyone is confused.)

Oh, I see!! A rudimentary hashing algorithm is a very elegant solution to the shades identity problem. Very nice!!

It's a shame you died before this could really catch on. If we are working under the assumption that the mutineers had plans for controlling the shade doc, then this proposal might even be what got you killed. Fair warning though, creating a hash system that I would be unable to break given a few hours would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

On 5/9/2020 at 7:21 PM, Arraenae said:

If we're slapping on poke votes, I might as well go with Aman. @Amanuensis, hi.

I am not going to attach very much significance to a poke vote like this, but it is probably marginally less likely that Rae would poke a teammate, if only by sheer dint of distancing patterns.

On 5/9/2020 at 7:16 PM, The_God_King said:

While I have no reason to assume Joe is good I think he deserves to live through a portion of this game Sart

I do not believe Joe was significantly in danger at this point?

Combined with the fact that Rae also kind of pushed back against Sart's vote on Joe this post raises my eyebrows a little.

On 5/9/2020 at 7:44 PM, The_God_King said:

I’ve read too many games with joe dying way too early. The vote is circumstantial at best but the reasoning is a poke and that joe was bad in a previous game. Not my favorite reasons to cast a vote 

Yeah, this checks out. My eyebrows have descended back to their resting position. Feel free to ignore my eyebrows and carry on with what you were doing.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:22 PM, Elkanah said:

Yeah striker has that effect sometimes. I recommend we keep him around a few cycles, he's pretty astute. Then if he is bad we at least get more out of his lynch.

Fair enough. I meant take the lead in the role play. There's room for two more leaders if you want a spot.:D

I am breaking ties because lynches are my best source of information. We don't get nearly as much information if we don't vote with the intent of lynching, so I am skipping the conversation where we try to decide whether we should tie the votes by letting you know I will break it.

I'd also like to leave Joe for a while. I disagree it's early for pokes. I thought about putting one in my first post. I don't think any of this will turn into anything though. 

Many ninjas. Sorry if I repeat something.

All of the ninjas :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

This does not read to me as how mutineer!Elkanah would most likely go about defending mutineer!Striker, but I cannot really say much more than that.

On 5/9/2020 at 9:52 PM, Elbereth said:

Hello this is the only post I've read. I assume the quote was talking about the anonymous docs after death, and unique identifiers are boring. I'm just going to be me and I dare anyone to try to copy me. :P 

Other than that I had an unexpected nap when I was supposed to be doing the KKC writeup, so I'm gonna go do that. I might be able to get a proper post together by turnover but don't count on it - something about this time tomorrow is the soonest I'll have time to properly sit down and do anything with this game. 

Oh, also, something I forgot to mention when I signed up - elims, please don't kill me for a couple cycles? After C2 ends go nuts if you like, but I haven't played in ages and might not be able to again before Championships start, so a C1 or C2 kill would suck for me, especially with the little amount of time I'll have to spend during those two cycles. Same goes for getting lynched during that time, but at least that I can see coming and argue about it with whoever tries - besides, I don't want to stop anyone from voting on me if they have genuine suspicion.

If there's anything else important, @ me or PM me please! (Actually regardless of whether you have something to tell me please PM me. I love PMs and will probably make them with everyone when I have the time to so might as well get ahead of the curve or whatever)

....low key feel like doing a Stink esque playstyle this game now

anyway bye! 

EDIT: OH ALSO I NEED TO RP someone please remind me to RP eventually because I can't right now but I want to

I do not get any kind of read from this, but I am willing to follow El's request to its logical conclusion and also not lynch her for a couple cycles, and she has expressed intent to be active in PMs, so I should be able to get a more definitive read over the next few cycles.

On 5/9/2020 at 10:08 PM, Kynedath said:

Okay, so from what I can see the main points of conversation this cycle seem to be about when to use knives, the use of codes in the shade doc, and Striker saying "we have plenty of time" which seems to have been mostly resolved? Welp, on to my thoughts about these things!

I think knives should be used after around cycle 2-3, at that point knife users will most likely have a solid hunch on someone they believe is an eliminator, and it won't be as flimsy a hunch as early cycles will have. I think sooner is better than later, the later they're used the less chances there are to actually use them since every cycle knife holders have a chance of dying, thereby taking the knife with them to the grave. I'd say it's probably not great to have a knife during the late game because at that point a huge swing is going to be potentially devastating, and a large change in information would be a lot to handle for a smaller group which would benefit the eliminators. Whereas a larger change in the information - in the playercount as well - with more people is more manageable. At least that's how I feel, I sometimes get a bit overwhelmed when a lot changes in the last cycles of a game since there aren't too many others left to analyze it all with.

I don't really see a point in using codes to identify players in the shade doc. True, people can claim to be other people, but then at the same time I feel like that should be part of the game in the shade doc. If two people claim to be the same player than people can use other context clues to deduce who is the real one and who is the fake. And that information will in turn affect peoples decisions and the information given which is a benefit since the more information shades have, the more effective they can be at roleblocking the right people. And I mean it seems really difficult to implement. You'd have to get everyone to use at least a similar system of codes, tell people you trust over PM (which is by no means foolproof) and then rely on people actually doing that which seems incredibly farfetched. I don't see myself doing it for the reasons listed above, and I completely understand God Kings perspective after what happened regarding them and codes in the last MR.

The striker quote seems NAI to me I think. Based on the information they had given right before that I feel like it was really just an offhand comment.

One thing I want to bring up is how many med kits people think are in the game? I think there will be less than the number of knives in the game, they seem really powerful since you can keep using them until you successfully block a kill. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if there was only one this whole game. And if this has already been brought up then I must have missed it, so I'd appreciate it if y'all let me know if that's the case.

Anyways, I should be back in the morning with some suspicions hopefully? although they won't be too solid considering it's cycle one. And as is normal for me I won't be voting cycle one, just a heads up.

I do not recollect your voting habits from previous games but I will happily take your word for it.

Your advice about items seems solid, but I will also only put so much stock in discussion that is not about other players in the game.

On 5/9/2020 at 10:10 PM, Elandera said:

Hey, hi, hello. I'm here. I still need to do a re-read of the rules. 

When turns last 24 hours, it's never too early for a poke vote. The trouble is getting too late in the turn for a poke vote.

I fully agree we should not kill some of the returning players in the first turns. Resist the temptation to be afraid of reputations. Please. And TGK is right. He and those who joined at the same time are no longer new.

While I'm normally down for a D1 lynch, my brain isn't cooperative today and I'm not really comprehending much of what's been said so far. I think I'm going to pass up on a vote for now, though that might change if I can wake up a bit more through the night.

I definitely cannot fault not feeling up to casting a vote on the first cycle, particularly since at the time I was not yet clued in to the fact that the game had even started.

I hope that you weigh in some more this cycle though since I don't think you've posted yet?

23 hours ago, A Joe in the Bush said:

Wait, the game started today? I legitimately thought it was starting on monday.

One of us!! One of us!! :D

Haha, nice. I'm definetly going to get a lot of that this game.

*Noooooo* He got poke voted to death in QF16 by me, let him live!

One: I'm used to it. It's almost a status symbol to me as it usually denotes a player that the majority of the other players think are good.

Two: the new thing excusing reasoning is lame. I'm one of the oldest players who still plays, and I'm genuinely terrible at this game. Being new or being old is not something I think should be used to excuse or give weight to reasoning.

Ah, thanks Elkanah.

Honestly doing a Stink play sounds kinda fun. And same on the RP. Definitely need to do that.

I very much agree with your point about the newer and older players meta, but you are also selling yourself a bit short :P

23 hours ago, Furamirionind said:

Lol I agree. If anyone has the energy or willpower to successfully impersonate me in a doc, they deserve to fool everyone xD. (If someone wants to try, look at the end of LG55's elims doc, and I look forward to reading what you put in that doc xD.
Actually it's worth mentioning I genuinely think El could impersonate me, though I doubt anyone else could. Just something to keep in mind if we are both in that doc at some point.

Well, the earlier the votes are cast, the more beneficial they are

I've played in and spectated a lot of games where almost everyone here has died D1/2. It happens to everyone. Also, everyone deserves to live through the early game... Which is also me saying that no one really deserves to live through the early game. : P
(The one exception I'll make to that is people who are either new or haven't played in a long time. Best to give them at least a chance to play before killing them.)

Just to make my point, I'm going to vote on myself. Fura

Ok, now onto reads... Which I don't typically do here on C1, but I will here... because I feel like it.

Village:
Elkanah, Elbereth, Megasif, CadCom, TGK

Elim:
Oh, I guess I don't really have any right now... Perhaps I'm giving out village reads a little liberally... Well, I was originally planning on changing my vote off of myself at the end of this post, but I guess I'll keep my vote there to make sure I come back tomorrow and change my vote.

Edit:

Gotta get that 300% win percentage somehow : P

I dunno, apparently I am a fair hand at saying some of the same stuff that you would say :P Although even then I probably would have fairly different diction.

Ah, so that was why you cast a vote against yourself. I was wondering. Anyway, while it is probable your playstyle has adapted in certain ways over the past few months, my experience of you would indicate that voting for yourself is not very alignment indicative.

23 hours ago, Kidpen said:

... ok hold up. Re: codes for shade doc identification, that would work for exactly one comment and then proceed to be useless because anyone who wants to imitate that person can just copy the code along with the formatting. Unless we made a huge list of codes so we would never run out, that would never be useful. Plus it feels a bit against the spirit of the shade doc.

Also it just occured to me that you could put another code at the end of every message, but no. That would be stupid.

Also, quick poll: do you guys think proving identity by using the who's online section is shard is ok or against the spirit of the doc? Personally I'm not a fan but I figured I'd ask for opinions.

... I don't like this but it feels like a fura thing to do, so no vote.

If vote on xino for the code thing but overall that's a very xino thing to do, so.

Yeah I guess I'll have to read over the thread more.

Yes, that is correct. Any such code for the shade doc would only be single-use, as a way to deliver a single important message and make sure people know who it is coming from.

If you guys really want to do this securely then what you want is a digital signature, which is actually completely doable within the rules of Sanderson Elimination because RSA is not very difficult to implement compared to most other cryptosystems, but it is still probably more trouble than it is worth for a quick fix game.

18 hours ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

Okay so my 2 hour nap turned into an early night of 8 hours of sleep :rolleyes: so I'm here finally.

A few things from reading through the thread. I think the knives are best used towards the middle game. Using them on any of the first 2 cycles at least is basically useless because no one has generally done or said enough to be worth killing. Saving them till late game is risky cuz you need to be right but you have more info than you would early game at least. The thing is, if you haven't found anyone you really suspect until late game then you aren't instantly suspicious for saving your knife lol. It's yours to decide what you do with which is part of the game, but it is good to listen to others opinions. (Gee now I sound like I have a knife xD) 

But yeah, middle game is ideal because you should have at least 1 suspicion by then I should hope. Also, I'd be really wary of passing knives. If I was gonna die and had a knife I might not pass it just because you don't know the alignment of who you're passing it to. I obviously would know my own alignment and I think having a knife out of play might be safer than passing it to an unknown. Anyways enough rambling about knives. 

As far as other stuff that stood out to me...

@StrikerEZ acting suspicious as usual no matter his alignment :lol:

I like how @Arraenae pointed out that saving knives till the end was dangerous.

@Megasif giving village reads on Elkanah and Cadcom and soft sus on Striker isn't really alignment indicative but I love lists like these to look back on when people die since interactions make up very important webs.

I do like this part of @Karnage post:

Agree with all this. 

(By the way I'm on mobile and hate having my posts get lost or deleted so I'm using 2 tabs if you're wondering why I'm copy pasting and not quoting lol)

@Furamirionind I'd hesitate using anything to soft clear players cuz I never trust GMs to do what I would do or what I think "should" be done. This always gets risky and leads to trickery. Especially if someone got passed a knife before a player was killed and then just claimed to have had it all along.

@Elbereth no special privileges, we're gonna kill you cycle 1 muahahaha :P jk Although I don't really like this cuz asking it makes it look like you're either soft clear village or elim using a not very nice tactic to be safe from the lynch for a couple cycles. A better way would've just been to ask everyone to give you a cycle or 2 if they don't mind. Rather than specifically referencing the elims. It makes it feel a little too "out of game but also still in game". Not trying to be mean or anything, just not sure it was the best way to go about it.

(I should really have not started this on mobile. Now it won't let me tag people anymore ugh)

Anyways what @Kynedath said about using knives sooner rather than later, I think it should be more like later rather than sooner lol. Using them middle to late game. Because simply using a knife just because it's getting too far into the cycles might not be the best thing to push. Having an extra kill late in the game can be useful even if it's risky.

I think that's all I'll say for now cuz I'm groggy and tired of sifting through the thread for the second time. Gonna have one more quick look back through for who I found less village. (Since cycle 1 that tends to be the way I view it more)

Quote from @Arraenae (I'll go back on my laptop and actually tag these people) 

Just because we have a lot of bodies doesn't mean we should see them as more disposable. I'd like to keep the village count as high as possible and shooting blind at the start of game isn't a good way to go imo. I think I'll put my vote on you for now just because this seems a little like not caring if villagers die which should be bad regardless of the cycle because that's how we get into low number areas quicker. It's not a hard sus at all, just enough of one for a cycle 1 vote when I got not much else. Arraenae (again, will color when I switch to laptop)

I also have Fura at a soft sus just for the thing about soft clearing people with knives. If they had actually pushed that I would've voted them instead.

Edit: while I admit to having said I liked what Arraenae said (about knives being saved till late was dangerous) early in my post, I think it was good to point it out but I don't agree with her line of thinking that early game is better than late game as I think middle to late is best and more beneficial for not racking up a body count with less info on people and less solid suspicions.

It would seem that this is the beginning of the chain of event's that lead to Rae's lynch.

Occam's razor being what it is, I am going to trust BR, and will probably not stop doing so unless future evidence weighs fairly strongly against her.

15 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

Drake Marshall @DrakeMarshall you haven't posted yet. Anything to say? 

Yeah. Hi.

If I understand the shade rules correctly, you will not be able to role block anyone this cycle unless you and Rae can agree upon a target. Which I find interesting, to say the least.

15 hours ago, Lord_Silberfarben said:

hmm

Elkanah would be a great elim. if everyone trusted them to break any ties... if they were elim they would be able to control the flow of the game.

Elkanah will definitely not be the only person breaking ties though.

I am too tired tho. I don't trust myself with any votes, or any kind or reasoning or writing.

Fair enough. Now that it is a cycle later, are you feeling any better about voting?

15 hours ago, Megasif said:

I dont have much to say on the mechanics of knives etc than what has already been said at this point.

I don't know how to feel about Xino making a 6th one vote wagon as a poke vote a few hours before cycle end.

Making a vote here to get things going : while I do not solidly elim read Arraenae, I'm not getting a villa vibe here either. May or may not change before cycle end.

Arraenae  

This is the second of three votes on Rae.

It is pretty much what you would expect from a cycle 1 vote. Did we pretty much just get lucky with this lynch?

13 hours ago, Mist said:

@Kidpen, what do you mean by this? Is it supposed to be shared? Also, it's amazing if your autocorrect corrects shared to shard.

I agree. We should lynch for information. 

I'm slightly suspicious of Striker. Either he's trying to be helpful with his comment, or he's trying to give us a false sense of calmness. Either he's being friendly with a welcome PM, or he's trying to pocket me. Or all of the above at once.

@Furamirionind, are you going to remove your vote on yourself? Fura I'll do my best to see and remove it when you respond. 

If I am reading the chronology right, when this vote was cast it put Fura ahead of Rae in terms of votes, which is interesting.

13 hours ago, Furamirionind said:

This would be a very good distancing vote by you, had we both been elims. I want to be impressed... but... we're not elims together... xD

This vote by Striker seems very AI. But it could be the villager direction due to the unsureness of who to vote on, and not having any good targets, which is absolutely fair.

Actually, I do think Striker is village, due to how he is voting me for voting myself. It was forced, and therefore probably would seem more suspicious to someone looking into me. I'm going to say Striker is a village read for now, but this last post isnt truly convincing. 

You know, I kind of hate C1 where people are already producing real content. Makes killing them a bit more painful. xD

I'd give it an all of the above. : P. Though I wouldnt typically say that welcome PMs are AI. Probably best not to cast judgement on that quite yet.

Also, I'm not sure why you are voting on me here. You are voting on me to motivate me to remove my vote from myself? Seems a bit counter intuitive to me... though I could see it working. \shrug

You know, a game where half of the players are new or returning from a long hiatus really sucks when I refuse to vote on any of them.

The players I'd be willing to vote on are: Xino, Striker, Elkanah, Elandera, Kynedath, Kidpen, Joe, Sart, and CadCom. That's less than half the player list, which means I'm probably going to break my rule starting C2. Anyways, I trust Elkanah, Sart's posts are NAI, I dont want to vote on Xino C1 as I havent played with a high activity Xino before...

I cannot speak for anyone else who is returning from any length of hiatus, but do not feel like you need to avoid lynching me. If you do try to lynch me, I will absolutely still defend myself to my fullest ability, but I would prefer not to be treated any differently.

Honestly I'm probably most suspicious of Kidpen, due to the fact he called Xino and myself out for doing suspicious things, and then proceeded to excuse us for those things and delay voting.

Kidpen

I was about to cast 2 votes on Kidpen xD

Edit: forgot to remove the vote on me

Fura

Since Kidpen did not end up voting last cycle, I will probably give their reasons for retracting those votes a second pass.

13 hours ago, Mist said:

Fura

Will add a vote in a minute after I've looked over posts.

Edit: Rules Doc This way it's on here. 

Kidpen @Kidpen

I will also do my best to break ties so we get information from the lynch.

Coloring on mobile is annoying, but easier than switching to a computer. 

The vote against Kidpen is clearly sheepy, and at the time could have saved Rae from getting lynched, which makes me trust Kidpen more and Mist less.

I could also see how maybe Mist's main purpose in posting this was to keep their promise about retracting the vote from Fura, so who they changed their vote to after that didn't matter as much to them.

I do not strongly suspect Mist based on this, but I do somewhat suspect Mist based on this.

12 hours ago, Sart said:

Well, Joe posted so A Joe in the Bush. We're also having a traditional last minute bandwagon, this time on Furamirionind. It's interesting that after Arraenae got a second vote from Megasif, two votes went on Furamirionind. Something's wrong here, so I'm going to tie the votes by putting a vote on Arraenae. While it is true that if you save knives to the very end you run the risk of dying with the knife, it's way too dangerous to use it early. It's a careful balance, but that post felt like an elim trying to get easy village kills.

And, ninja'd... Okay, that was the fastest I've seen a lynch train derail. I think everyone besides Arraenae has only one vote, so to cement the lynch I'm keeping my vote on Arraenae.

Well, breaking the tie in a way that kills a mutineer is one of the more trustworthy things a person can do, which for now is enough of a read on Sart for me.

12 hours ago, The_Archivist said:

I don't really have any solid suspicions, so I'll put a tentative vote on Lord_Silberfarben, because him RPing a loudly annoying character sent me into a paranoid spiral of trying to guess wether he has a motive behind it or not. It's not much, but it's the most I have on anyone.

Well, props to you for still casting a vote, even if you did not feel like you had the most to go off of.

Also, I do not think a mutineer would put their vote somewhere it would make no difference if they were aware a teammate was on the chopping block, so I am inclined to read this post as coming from a loyal crewmember.

Recap finished. That was kind of a long post and I am feeling tired. I apologize if the quality and coherency of this post has declined as you get further into it. I do not feel great about casting a vote right now but I will still do my best.

So it seems like Rae's lynch came late in the cycle, which in my opinion is most likely what accounts for the fact that Rae's lynch experienced unexpectedly little pushback.

Mist's vote tying Rae with Kidpen was not sufficient on its own to make the mutineers feel safe about the lynch vote. And I have been fairly satisfied by Mist's responses so far. Which put together means I'm kind of willing to give Mist a pass for now despite circumstantial evidence against them. Lynching Mist would not be the worst outcome but probably not my first choice.

But now I feel kind of at a dead end since Mist seemed like the only real lead attached to the Rae lynch. My instinct right now is to throw a vote at somebody who has not been drawing a bunch of my attention since I don't feel strongly about lynching any of the louder voices, so for now @Kynedath Kynedath. This is kind of a poke vote in the sense that I will try to remove it if you post more of your thoughts on the game before the cycle ends, but since it is my first cycle in the game I guess a poke is not entirely out of place, and my vote is still fairly serious in the sense that I genuinely would prefer not to lynch the other people who have votes right now.

16 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Really? Am I just being paranoid? I mean, I do think it’s more likely that Sart is village than not, but BR’s vote and the timing of her vote (when everyone still only had just one vote) are not enough to clear her in my opinion. 

As someone who's been burned by villager paranoia a lot, I try to give people more of a benefit of a doubt, especially in the early stages of the game. Though I'm not up to date on the meta (like recent eliminator tricks that people might be expecting, and vice versa), I'm personally skeptical that Rae was bus'd on D1.

5 hours ago, Elbereth said:

@Mistpointed out that Rae poked Aman and then took it off; that makes me lean very mildly towards Aman being evil, because if you’re going to vote on a teammate it’d be him (because he can talk his way out of Any Lynch low key still exasperated about LG61 but whatever)  Haven’t gone back and read the posts though so dunno.

While I agree Rae may have poke voted me if we were teammates, I'm confident I would have tried get the lynch away from her, in some capacity. I still harbor guilt from the game where I bus'd her for village cred, only to get caught by Lopen like two cycles later and lose. There was another game where I bus'd Stink too in a not so great way that dredged up some bad feelings. Since then, I think if you looked at my elim meta, you would often find me running interference for my teammates. Even losing one elim is a fairly large problem. Not to mention that I just love my elim clean sweeps.

Edited by Amanuensis

53 minutes ago, DrakeMarshall said:

I hope that you weigh in some more this cycle though since I don't think you've posted yet?

Thanks for the reminder! I have been focused on catching up in the other game. I fear I've bitten off more than I can chew. 

I skimmed what happened after I went to sleep last cycle. Rollover is at a very unfortunate time for me. I likely won't be on the last several hours at all, unless it's one of my days off and I went to sleep early the night before.

The Rae lynch was surprising, but good. BR's vote was late enough in the turn, it wasn't likely a distancing vote gone awry. I'm actually inclined to clear all three who voted on her, as there wasn't much suspicion connected with the vote reasons and there were other targets that could have been lynched instead with as much reason. As someone who has bussed teammates before, it usually only happens D1 if there is condemning evidence that can't be ignored. The time I did it was because a teammate did something that village!me would have considered suspicious enough for a vote even not on D1 where bars are set much lower. I just didn't see that in any of Rae's posts or the vote posts.

1 hour ago, DrakeMarshall said:

Sorry to see you go, Devotary.

I guess that means... We will now be killing each other without Remorse B)

<_<

Current vote count:

Mist (2) - Fura, Kidpen
Fura (1) - Archivist
Striker (1) - Karnage
Drake (1) - Sart
TGK (1) - BR
Kynedath (1) - Drake

I... don't really like the lynch on Mist. It's meta in reasoning, but I don't see the evidence as enough to lynch a brand new player on C2. Their vote on Fura was understandable in prodding for a real vote, and they removed it as promised. Even Fura said it was likely a village move. The subsequent vote on Kidpen was less great, but not definitely elim. 

Both Striker's and Mist's votes were placed on Fura after the second vote on Rae. It's possible they are both elim, and voted in an attempt to save Rae. If both are elim, I'd rather lynch Striker (sorry, I know this happens to you a lot.) 

Striker.

Well I'm a big dumb. I was going through the posts again to make this vote count, and Elandera ninja'd me 16 minutes before I finally saw her post. Oof. Though I did add fancy links to mine, for anyone who might need a quick refresher!

As of right now, I think I'm willing to put Drake in the villager box too. I may have a weakness for massive posts. I love to see time-consuming effort.

I'll figure out who to vote for ~two hours before rollover. Because of my sleeping and writing schedule, I'll probably be most active at the end and beginning of cycles. For now, however, I need to go back to work.

Edited by Amanuensis

I would love to have something smart to say, but i am kind of overwhelmed with two games at the same time, so i just RP.

Though the day itself had been boring, the night presented many interesting opportunities.

During the day, everyone was too busy trying to be quiet and serious, they missed the point. they missed the silver lining.

Hmm, speaking about that silver lining...

"Hey, I ask again, for those brave enough!" He whispers as loudly as the scowling faces around him allow, "Who dares break the gloom and has a try at guessing the silver lining?"

That joke was getting old, but he would not give up.

same as he would not give up at seeing those shades up close.

that was exactly the point of his voyage into this dirty and wild word. He seriously hadn't believed any of the rumours, but it was worth a try anyway. he didn't have much else to do those days.

During the night, especially after the two deaths, is when he was most likely to see the nonexisting shades.

So what would he do for the night?

He poked the night watch and spoke to them, which were nearly the same thing.

And when the last night watch came, he claimed it for himself.

Perhaps that had been a bad idea. now he had no one to poke.

So he just looked around the camp. fingering anything interesting he saw amongst the traveler's possessions.

When he got bored with this, he returned most of the objects he had collected into their original places. More or less.

There was still about half of his watch to endure still.

He fingered the big pouch of salt, the only object had not disposed of.

There was still something he could do while he waited.

something nice for the hungry and waking travelers.

The art...

of making horrible porridge.

He looked at the enormous amount of salt contained in the pouch and grinned.

Did i actually say i was tired of having to write 200 words of RP?

I wrote 300 words out of a whim.

2 hours ago, Elandera said:

Both Striker's and Mist's votes were placed on Fura after the second vote on Rae. It's possible they are both elim, and voted in an attempt to save Rae. If both are elim, I'd rather lynch Striker (sorry, I know this happens to you a lot.) 

Striker.

Don’t be sorry for your vote! I understand why you’re voting on me. I voted on Fura at not the best time. And I’ve kind of accepted that stuff like this happens. I take it as a badge of honor. :P

So, I’m not too worried about dying. Normally I think I’d vote on Mist at this point, but I’m feeling reckless right now. I’m going to vote on TGK. I’m not super suspicious of him, but his tone has been giving me weird vibes. And I don’t particularly suspect any of the other people with just one vote on them.