Quick Fix 44: Shadows in the Forest

Straw

1 hour ago, BrightnessRadiant said:

Holy wow so many players for a QF! :o

Isn't it beautiful?! Devotary, you will be missed.

Edit

I second TGK on Magnus Archives. It is brilliant!

Edited by Elkanah
avoid double post

As night begins to fall, your party of 22 walks through the forest, with traitors among you. Good luck.

GM Notes:

-Remember to add me, @Experience, and @Devotary of Spontaneity to all PMs you make!

-The cycle will end on May 10th at 13:00 EST.

-Welcome to QF44! All PMs should have been sent out. If you didn't receive a PM, please @mention me so I can fix it.

Player List:

1. xinoehp512 - Hades

2. Karnage - Shroud

3. StrikerEZ - Reverie

4. Elkanah - Cain

5. The_God_King - Mavet

6. Elandera - Thankful

7. Lord_Silberfarben - Silber

8. BrightnessRadiant - Calypso

9. Kynedath - Maledict

10. Kidpen - Aradia

11. A Joe in the Bush - Joseph

12. Elbereth - Crepuscula

13. The_Archivist - Archer

14. Mist - Rona

15. Sart - Sam Trudite

16. Zillah - TBD

17. CadCom - Patience

18. DrakeMarshall - Verity

19. Amanuensis - Nok the Bard

20. Arraenae - Resourceful Smythe

21. Megasif - Mega

22. Furamirionind - TBD

These forests... walking through them felt like visiting death itself. Maybe that’s where we were? Maybe this accursed island was not the haven everyone thought it was.

Mavet stifled those thoughts. They would do him no good if he was caught unawares. The other members of this party were mostly strangers. Some he recognized, but that wasn’t surprising. There really weren’t many new faces in the forest... 

As the group walked through the forest, Rona thought she heard someone talking to themself. "What?" she said. No one responded. 

Must have just been me, she thought. I'm certainly jumpy, it being my first time in the forest. 

Night was falling. They would probably make camp soon, so as to not disturb the shades with their movement. It was supposed to be safe until dark, but Archer was still nervous. He didn't like traveling through the forest, and this was going to be a particularly long trip. He sighed in resignation.

"It's only a bit farther." Cain said. He hoped it sounded reassuring. He had made this trip a dozen times, but always they had had someone with more experience. Now he was tied for the most trips with two others in the party and they were switching off leading.

"The maps of this area are so poorly drawn." Cain thought. "How am I supposed to find the safe areas with these useless rags. Using a tree as a landmark! We're surrounded by trees!" His leg ached slightly where the pouch kept bouncing against it. Such precious cargo, and so little of it. 

Then out loud he said "Not to worry, We are looking for clump of three trees bent as if three lightning bolts were striking the same spot. Then it is only another half kilometer west."

Hello to all the new people! Welcome to SE. Also Welcome back those of you who have been gone for a while. I hope you don't mind me taking the lead of the party for a bit. There really isn't much to discuss in the form of roles so I'll go through what I see quickly.

I recommend using the med kit every turn until it is gone. I'm guessing maybe five of these.

I recommend not using the knife until we are down to less than ten players. I doubt there are more than three. 

I bet at least one traitor has silver dust. There are maybe three of these. If they do, that player will be the one to submit every kill. Not much we can do about that because they can't be roleblocked.

The rest of us get to try to guess who is bad, so voting is very important. 

Please don't die to inactivity. Also I will break any tied lynches. Unless It would kill me to do so.

Happy hunting!

10 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

Then out loud he said "Not to worry, We are looking for clump of three trees bent as if three lightning bolts were striking the same spot. Then it is only another half kilometer west."

Mavet laughed at this. He'd already seen three such clumps along the way. These Forescouts sure were strange folks. They could find a single tree in the forest but couldn't tell anyone where that tree was. "You better not get us lost Cain. The cargo is only good if it is delivered on time"

Interesting analysis @Elkanah. I find nothing entirely objectable about your immediate thoughts on the uses of items. For taking the lead of the party you may find some opposition but for day 1 I will stick back and make sure nothing goes crazy.

Hades's eyes flitted from place to place in the forest as he kept a close watch for anything that might mean them ill. Not just shades- although they might be the thing fortfolk feared most about these woods, they weren't necessarily the most dangerous adversary that they would face. Shades were predictable, after all- keep the three Simple Rules, carry silver on you just in case, and you should be able to survive in the forests with no problem.

No, the real danger here was the people. Men (and women) who shunned the order of society in the forts in order to prey upon the weak in a place where they were pretty much free to do whatever they liked.

Let them try to prey on us, he thought grimly. They'll see just how 'weak' we are then.

---

Hello all to QF44!

To start, a smidgen of analysis.

On 5/2/2020 at 8:47 PM, Straw said:

Shades: When a player dies, they become a Shade. Shades are not allowed to PM or talk in the Mutineer doc. Each cycle, every Shade can place a vote on a player. The player with the most votes is attacked by the Shades, preventing them from taking any actions. Shades vote in their GM PM. Shade roleblocks have no vote minimum and tied votes result in no roleblock. Shades are not told the results of the vote or roleblock.

Shades have a doc to talk in, but the doc is anonymous. In order to maintain this anonymity, Shades are given a new doc each cycle. In the Shade doc, there will not be a place to sign in at the top of the document. There will only be a discussion area. People are free to use any colors, fonts, signatures, special formatting, etc to identify themselves. People are also free to use the same identification as another player. Players are not allowed to edit or delete the comments of other players. However, they are free to add comments after people’s posts.

I find this mechanic interesting, to say the least. More than likely, the villagers will always outnumber the eliminators in the category of the dead, so as long as trickery can be avoided then the roleblock should be usable for the village purposes. 

GMs, I have a few questions. Are shades are allowed to edit their own text? Also, is the vote that they are not told the results of is the vote on what the roleblock?

17 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

I find this mechanic interesting, to say the least. More than likely, the villagers will always outnumber the eliminators in the category of the dead, so as long as trickery can be avoided then the roleblock should be usable for the village purposes. 

It's an interesting balancing mechanism. The dead doc will be a very interesting place when it starts to get full.

Okay, I’m just gonna pop in real quick to say hello! I think that Elkanah’s right about waiting to use the knives. There probably aren’t too many of them, and using them this early in the game is more likely to hit a villager than an elim. Unless you’re worried about your own survival, I think it’s best to just wait on the knives unless you really, really suspect someone is an elim  

Also, with 22 players, I’d expect 5 elims. Ignoring the knives, we have six mislynches until we hit LyLo. Plenty of time to start finding people we suspect and stuff. :P

~

Reverie followed the group as she watched the sinking sun set over the tops of the trees of the forest of hell. Her mother had told her stories of travelers getting lost in the forest, but she’d spent years exploring and conquering it. As long as she followed the three simple rules, she was fine. She cast a glance to he fellow travelers. It was the others she was worried about.

49 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

GMs, I have a few questions. Are shades are allowed to edit their own text? Also, is the vote that they are not told the results of is the vote on what the roleblock?

Shades are allowed to edit their text when they type stuff out initially, but after that they shouldn't. So, for example, you can quickly fix a typo as you type it, but you can't edit in whole new sentences and have them be confirmed as coming from the same person.

They are not told the results of the Shade vote (which results in the roleblock). They'll still be able to see the results of the regular thread vote, if that's what you're asking.

Hello hello everyone. I haven't been around here for a while. Just a heads up, I've been dealing with a repetitive strain injury in my hands for a while, so I'm going to be using voice typing for most of this. If you see me post something completely nonsensical, feel free to ask for clarification. Voice typing misinterprets my words a lot.

I actually disagree with Elkanah’s statement that knives should be saved until the end. Generally, vigilante kills are very very swingy. Using a knife at the end of the game, when there are far fewer players, is significantly riskier than using it in the start or the middle of the game. At the end of the game, the wrong knife kill can put the village into a state of LyLo, where they must kill an eliminator this turn or lose. Comparatively, at the start and the middle of the game, there are still a lot of other bodies left. If you use a knife at the end of the game, you should be very sure that the person you are killing is an eliminator.

The last time that I played, it was usual for protection rolls to initially protect either people who were very active in leading the discussion, players who because of their reputation were likely to be killed quickly, or themselves. I don't know if the meta for eliminator kills has shifted, but if it hasn’t, then this is probably still a safe bet.

Not sure there's anything to say about silver powder. You have it or you don't. It's a completely passive item, so there aren’t many choices to make with it.

@Straw, some questions. Which of these situations are allowed:

Shade A types something. Shade B edits Shade A's text.

Shade A types something. Shade B edits Shade A's text. Shade A edits Shade B's edits.

Shade A types something. Shade B steals Shade A's formatting and types something elsewhere in the doc pretending to be Shade A.

Shade A types something in one format. They insert a section in the middle with a different type of formatting pretending to have been someone else.

I'm confused at how the whole Shade doc works.

Hello hello! I think I'll start things off a bit of a fun way. 

1. I'm totally not an eliminator. Or maybe I am.

2. I dont see any votes yet, so I'll throw one out. xinoehp is totally an elim or my elim accomplice. Let's all kill them. 

Edited by CadCom

49 minutes ago, Mist said:

The third and fourth should be allowed. @Straw, is silver powder used up after one roleblock? 

This could be a misinterpretation, but according to the current wording of the items, the bearer of silver dust is completely immune to roleblocks.

Edited by The_Archivist

1 hour ago, Arraenae said:

@Straw, some questions. Which of these situations are allowed:

Shade A types something. Shade B edits Shade A's text.

Shade A types something. Shade B edits Shade A's text. Shade A edits Shade B's edits.

Shade A types something. Shade B steals Shade A's formatting and types something elsewhere in the doc pretending to be Shade A.

Shade A types something in one format. They insert a section in the middle with a different type of formatting pretending to have been someone else.

I'm confused at how the whole Shade doc works.

First of all, I have a fairly big example in the rules doc that covers some of this this.

1. Not allowed.

2. Not allowed, see answer for #1.

3. Allowed.

4. Allowed.

42 minutes ago, Mist said:

The third and fourth should be allowed. @Straw, is silver powder used up after one roleblock? 

No. It worked that way in QF16, but was changed. This change was mostly due to the fact that the Shades were nerfed (roleblock instead of conditional kill, anonymous doc).