Quick Fix 44: Shadows in the Forest

Straw

Wow seriously? I honestly thought Drake was basically an outed elim there. Guess not!

GG to the elim team. I don't think I ever would have lynched Elbereth, but maybe I would have lynched Zillah, and very maybe I would've lynched Sart. Archivist I didn't really have an opinion on so that wasn't gonna happen unless someone started it.

Thanks straw for running this game! I had a lot of fun with it despite not voting on am elim a single time the entire game.

Except for when I voted on zillah that one time I guess.

The elims played really well this game. I will say that I was suspicious of Elbereth for a while, but then forgot why, and didn't g back... and then I died... : /
But I also typically get a slight gut elim read on El, so I sort of just disregarded that, which I probably shouldn't have.

Drake, I'm sorry for doubting you in the Shade doc. I should have known you were village. : P

Sart, that really was excellent. 

Yeah, I think that's all I have to say. Not a great game on my part. Lol

Edit: Oh yeah, and sorry for going completely inactive after I died. Between irl stuff and focusing on the LG, I basically forgot about this. : /

Edited by Furamirionind

On 5/17/2020 at 11:50 AM, Sart said:

Also, I didn't like the Silver Powder providing blanket immunity to the shade roleblock. I should have brought this up to the rules committee, but it would have been better if it was used up after preventing a roleblock. However, looking over the master spreadsheet, no shades managed to vote on elims, so that was a moot point.

Agreed on this point. I didn't read the rules carefully enough, and assumed it had stayed the same. 

On 5/17/2020 at 0:44 PM, Furamirionind said:

The elims played really well this game. I will say that I was suspicious of Elbereth for a while, but then forgot why, and didn't g back... and then I died... : /
But I also typically get a slight gut elim read on El, so I sort of just disregarded that, which I probably shouldn't have.

Fair. :P I'm fairly surprised that I played as well as I did, given I haven't been evil in at least a year. 

I also apologize for my late-game inactivity - apparently being evil makes me stressed and therefore I don't want to interact. :P I'll work on that in the future. 

Thanks to Straw for running, and everyone go check out the next MR!

Alright, time for some GM thoughts.

Distribution: I kind of regret having so few items in this setup. It'd be interesting to see how a setup with more items would have worked. A lot of mechanics like item passing or the Shade roleblock would have had an actual impact on the game if there were more items in the game. I think five elims was probably balanced for this many players, but it's kind of hard to tell given how far off track the village got. 

Changes from QF16:

-Silver Powder: While this change didn't end up having any effect on the game, I probably overcompensated on the Silver Powder buff. I almost feel like with the Shade nerf, Silver Powder shouldn't be in the game. I feel like the Shades would benefit from always knowing that they did indeed roleblock the person they chose to target. I'm not sure if it would be worth replacing though, or what I would replace it with.

-Intoxicant: This is the item from QF16 that I replaced with the Medical Kit. It was a single use vote switch. I feel like it was a good idea to not keep this item, as I wanted to keep the lynch in the hands of the voters.

-Shades: I feel like I went the right direction with the anonymous Shade doc. I don't believe it really had much of an effect on the game, and it hopefully made the Shade doc a bit more interesting. On the other hand, the Shades probably need some kind of buff, either in the rules or the distribution. The Shades could possibly be buffed in the rules by giving them more info on what happened (who they blocked, if the person they blocked did anything, what the person they blocked did, who voted for which players, etc) or by making them only block kills. The Shades could be buffed in the distribution by increasing the number of items in the game, thus making it so there's a higher chance of them hitting someone.

-Item behavior on death and item passing: In QF16, items were randomly distributed on death and people who received items would be told who they got the item from. I dislike randomly distributing on death, and I think that should be kept out in future iterations. I had been hoping that people who were lynched and had an item would pass it to someone else, but that didn't end up happening. I think a future GM could probably make it so item passing isn't anonymous, as long as they kept the Mutineer kill as a free action.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this?

@Straw I agree on all your thoughts! Definitely think giving the shades more of a buff would be great and especially letting them know results of who they targeted. More items would make it more amusing as well because of the shades. And also silver powder for the elims is super dangerous if the village never lynches that player. But all in all it was super fun!

• 3 months later...

Congratulations to the Mutineers, Elbereth, The Archivist, Sart, Zillah, and Arraenae! You efficiently outlasted the Crewmembers and even had a few members alive to tell the tale! Thanks to Straw for running this game, and to everyone who played!

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Devotary of Spontaneity, Elbereth, Araris Valerian, or myself, or post in the GM Signups & Discussion ThreadNot only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can. 

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about. If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Amanuensis, STINK, Sart, Fifth Scholar, Straw, Haelbarde, and Young Bard) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: