Brandon needs to hole up in his dungeon lair

Snorkel

I mean, I'm a bit sensitised because my country has had REALLY strong lockdown laws for the last month, and what Brandon did in his last video would have been straight-out illegal here.

The signing video where he's in his office with multiple other staff for a few hours ... staying 6 feet away isn't going to help much when you're all in the same building, touching the same things.  D:  I had been hoping that he was holed up in his awesome dungeon lair for the duration.

Don't risk your health for us Brandon!

If he were here, there would've been a good amount of backlash, and he would be...um grateful that he's a famous personality.

The police is not...lenient with those who defy lockdown. Punishment goes from.. downright funny to being uncomfortable.

I think here in the US, it is generally recognized that there isn't really anything you can do to avoid all potential contamination. Go to the grocery store - someone had to stock the shelves, and other people have to go to the same store. Fast food drive-through? Someone has to prepare the food. Get mail? There is a delivery man or woman involved. Any door to a public place is a potential hazard, so unless someone has over a month's supply of all the food and toiletries they need, they are going to risk exposure to the virus. But if you quarantine yourself as much as possible, you minimize that risk. If Brandon knows neither he nor his staff have gone anywhere else, they do increase chances of exposure, but only among each other - and from what I have been told, if they have completely quarantined for two weeks without symptoms, then you can assume generally that you are not contagious. I'd be less worried about Team Sanderson getting sick from each other and more worried about them getting sick from their grocerer. 

Where I am (eastern US) there seem to be a lot of people who just don’t care. To be fair, @Snorkel, I mostly agree with you and I wish our authorities would do more to clamp down on the virus, but there isn’t anything I can conceivably do to change Brandon’s actions. He has probably gone over this with his team and decided that this was reasonable. We only get to see a very small section of his basement and for all we know everyone is sequestered in different parts of the house for most of the day. I just tried to ignore it for the most part.

On 29/04/2020 at 5:06 AM, Karger said:

Also consider the amount of lives he might be saving by providing entertainment to people for two hours.

You're not thinking of the possible long-term consequences if he dies of coronavirus with his books unfinished.

On 28/04/2020 at 5:25 PM, 18th Shard said:

Fast food drive-through? Someone has to prepare the food

That's been illegal here too for over a month.  The rules just relaxed yesterday.

Edited by Snorkel

19 hours ago, Snorkel said:

You're not thinking of the possible long-term consequences if he dies of coronavirus with his books unfinished.

19 hours ago, Snorkel said:

That's been illegal here too for over a month.  The rules just relaxed yesterday.

Please don't double post, thanks!

On 4/28/2020 at 6:03 PM, Snorkel said:

Fans will be sad and they won't get the books they want. 

You know, the same possible long-term consequences if he dies of any other cause which can happen today, tomorrow, 30 years from now.

That's how it is. He could hole himself up, slip in the shower and that would be it. Terms like "most likely" do not apply to questions of a specific person's mortality because that's not how probability works. Best make peace with that. 

Well @Snorkel what we're finding in the states, is that a lot of people have developed antibodies and where never diagnosed, so it is entirely possible that he has already had it. And if he wants to spend time with his staff and they're fine with it that is perfectly legal and nothing anyone should be bothered with.

I feel like emotions are running a little hot in this thread. COVID-19 is a pretty big deal on a global scale, and it has impacted all of our lives, so we are a little more irritable than normal, which is why I would like us all to take extra care to be nice to one another, and to dial dial down our argumentative side several notches down. 

I'll be honest, I don't think much good can come out of this thread, and I am afraid it's going to devolve into either a general conversation about COVID-19, or into a shouting match. I am not going to lock it just yet, but I'll keep a close eye on it and any reports that come out of it.

Be good, y'all.

10 hours ago, Frustration said:

Well @Snorkel what we're finding in the states, is that a lot of people have developed antibodies and where never diagnosed, so it is entirely possible that he has already had it. And if he wants to spend time with his staff and they're fine with it that is perfectly legal and nothing anyone should be bothered with.

Unfortunately recent finding indicate that antibody reports are an inaccurate way of tracking the disease.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/27/reliable-antibody-tests-coronavirus-207589

Signing books is pretty obviously not essential.  Writing books on the other hand...    Covid is serious.  I know people are getting tired of being locked up.  I have twin three year olds. I tear up when I drive by the play ground.  We all need to take this as seriously as we can, lives depend on it.   

• 2 weeks later...

A few things to understand:

1) we have no idea what precautions Dragonsteel are taking at this time. It would be pretty silly of us to make generalizations based on the 2 hour stream when we don't see what they're doing with the other 100s of hours. It could be that none of them interact with anyone outside that room. We don't know and we can't and should not judge based on our tiny peak into someone else's life. 

2) COVID has not spread uniformally across the world in the same way at the same time. Different places are experiencing different levels of infection and different population ages and density...there is a lot going on. The part of the world in which Brandon lives is currently not overwhelmed with cases and has not put in place very strict lockdowns.

3) Let's all admit that we aren't epidemiologist, we aren't public health experts, we are caring fans who want the best for our favorite author and each other and we all have very different ideas of what "best" means and we are all experiencing a global catastrophe in very different ways. Let's be kind, and understanding, and try not to assume too much. I know you all have the best of intentions with your concerns, Cosmere fans are good people.

Much love and I hope for the best for every one of you fantastic fans and your families!!!