16 hours ago, little wilson said:

A part of me wonders if instead of downgrading all negative effects of all actions, maybe it should only downgrade the worst? @Young Bard - I think you’ll have the best insight into this: do you think that would nerf Sympathy too much and make it less appealing, or would it be okay?

Ah, right. I meant to write up a whole bit about Sympathy but forgot. But yeah, I basically agree. Strangely, in the way I was using it, the third level Malfeasance Protection ended up being stronger than the Master Level Malfeasance since I could protect myself and a fellow Skindancer simultaneously (though if I'd gotten to Master level while at the University, I'd probably have used it to draw kills and pass them on to someone else, which would have been as hilarious as it is broken, since literally only a multiple protection-overriding Naming attack could have stopped me. :P)

A Master Sympathist being able to kill whoever submits the sabotage is just a little bit strong as well - I can see it being a nightmare for the Skindancers, especially if the Master Sympathist had a trust read from the village and some form of protection, like we thought Araris did this game. (Third-level mommets roleblocking a Skindancer are fine, though, IMO.)

I'm trying to think of a cool alternative that keeps the 'wow' factor while also not being too broken, though. I remember there being a scene in NotW where Kvothe is in a Sympathy battle and nearly passes out from over-exerting himself - maybe that could be an excuse to do the same patch as Cheating with Death and say it is that strong, but can only be used every second turn, allowing people to stay at least a little vulnerable? I don't know.

• 1 year later...

It's past time to lock these threads. Congratulations to the Students for removing the threat of the Skindancers. Thanks to Elbereth and Little Wilson for GMing such a massive undertaking of a game. I know I enjoyed it immensely and look forward to another run of KKC one day.

As always, if anyone would like to try their hand at running a game, please get ahold of Wilson, Devotary of Spontaneity, Elbereth, Araris Valerian, or myself, or post in the GM Signups & Discussion ThreadNot only will we get you added to the list, but we'd also be more than willing to help out in any way we can. 

You can also ask questions and get some hints and feedback from everyone in our Art of Game Creation thread. With all the games that we've run so far, we have plenty of experienced GMs that can help you refine any game you're thinking about. If you would rather keep some detail secret, or are self-conscious about posting in thread (there's really no need to be; while we do slaughter each other, we are very polite about it), then I'm sure one of our fantastic committee members (Amanuensis, STINK, Sart, Fifth Scholar, Straw, Haelbarde, and Young Bard) would be more than willing to help you out in private.

Thanks again to everyone that played, and we look forward to killing seeing you in future games! :ph34r: