TOP 10 Reasons the COSMERE should be Animated

I wholeheartedly agree with all these points. I'm not a huge fan of live action to begin with, and I think a Cosmere-wide live action series would be a disaster. 

I would also worry about the quality of CGI in a live action. Even with the best CGI, you can tell it's fake and it kind of takes you out of the moment. If the whole movie or show was animated, you don't have this problem.

I've always thought that the Cosmere would work very well as an anime (able to go on for hundreds of episodes, flexible art style, AND the characters already have built-in tragic backstories?) It's perfect

3 minutes ago, revelryintheart said:

I've always thought that the Cosmere would work very well as an anime (able to go on for hundreds of episodes, flexible art style, AND the characters already have built-in tragic backstories?) It's perfect

Now all we have to do is get some cosmere mangas or light novels written, and then we’ll get our anime ;). In all seriousness, Japan’s entertainment industry is too insular for anything like this to happen. The success of webtoon anime adaptations like Tower of God could pave the way for an anime industry that draws more on foreign stories, but it could still be decades before western fiction begins to merge with Japan’s fiction. We can always wish though.

1 hour ago, ILuvHats said:

Now all we have to do is get some cosmere mangas or light novels written, and then we’ll get our anime ;). In all seriousness, Japan’s entertainment industry is too insular for anything like this to happen. The success of webtoon anime adaptations like Tower of God could pave the way for an anime industry that draws more on foreign stories, but it could still be decades before western fiction begins to merge with Japan’s fiction. We can always wish though.

True, although they could go with an American company with an anime-influenced style, such as RWBY or Avatar the Last Airbender. But yes, a cosmere anime will probably exist only in our dreams.

2 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

44 minutes ago, revelryintheart said:

True, although they could go with an American company with an anime-influenced style, such as RWBY or Avatar the Last Airbender. But yes, a cosmere anime will probably exist only in our dreams.

STUDIO MIR!!

The Cosmere could also take a Star Wars approach, where certain aspects from the live action stuff go to the animated shows, and vice versa. So he could keep Mistborn as live action movies that, while based on the books, are different, and then he could do Stormlight as an animated show and then market the crossover ability of the two. Warbreaker could be either-or. Novellas like Silence and Sixth of the Dusk would do well in an anthology-like show (not sure if animated or live action). Just imagine it - students from the academy in Silverlight head over to the nearest bar/tavern to blow off some steam, where they see a mysterious traveler. They pay for the traveler's drinks, and in turn he tells them stories from places in the Cosmere he's visited. 

Id go Elantris and Warbreaker as a 16 part 40 min anime.

Mistborm, 16 forty min eps ending in a block buster movie per book. 

Stormlight, 10 one hour eps ending in a block buster movie per book.

Think how much money Game of Thrones would have got if each season ended at the theatre's.

Honestly, at the rate the CGI is improving, we probably only need to wait 10 years for a "live action" version of the Cosmere that doesn't even require real actors. All they need is Andy Serkis in a mocap suit playing all of the characters himself.

On the animated front, I've never liked Japanese animation. Something about it just doesn't work for me. If they wanted to try something like the Batman animated movies, I would be on board (though I would still prefer live), but I don't wanna see Vin with little hearts floating out of her eyes when she looks at Elend.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

6 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Honestly, at the rate the CGI is improving, we probably only need to wait 10 years for a "live action" version of the Cosmere that doesn't even require real actors. All they need is Andy Serkis in a mocap suit playing all of the characters himself.

On the animated front, I've never liked Japanese animation. Something about it just doesn't work for me. If they wanted to try something like the Batman animated movies, I would be on board (though I would still prefer live), but I don't wanna see Vin with little hearts floating out of her eyes when she looks at Elend.

I mostly agree. I have watched and liked Avatar, but the rest of the anime shows I've seen have not been my cup of tea. I would be fine with a show that has an anime art style (animated characters and places) without all the extra baggage (like your example).

8 hours ago, Gderu said:

I mostly agree. I have watched and liked Avatar, but the rest of the anime shows I've seen have not been my cup of tea. I would be fine with a show that has an anime art style (animated characters and places) without all the extra baggage (like your example).

I agree that a more serious style would be better. Something like Death Note or a Studio Ghibli inspired style would be better opposed to a sillier anime.

On 4/24/2020 at 2:14 PM, Use the Falchion said:

STUDIO MIR!!

The Cosmere could also take a Star Wars approach, where certain aspects from the live action stuff go to the animated shows, and vice versa. So he could keep Mistborn as live action movies that, while based on the books, are different, and then he could do Stormlight as an animated show and then market the crossover ability of the two. Warbreaker could be either-or. Novellas like Silence and Sixth of the Dusk would do well in an anthology-like show (not sure if animated or live action). Just imagine it - students from the academy in Silverlight head over to the nearest bar/tavern to blow off some steam, where they see a mysterious traveler. They pay for the traveler's drinks, and in turn he tells them stories from places in the Cosmere he's visited. 

Wow, I was thinking in either/or the whole time, that’s a fantastic idea! 

On 4/24/2020 at 6:15 PM, SwordNimiForPresident said:

On 4/25/2020 at 9:06 AM, revelryintheart said:

I agree that a more serious style would be better. Something like Death Note or a Studio Ghibli inspired style would be better opposed to a sillier anime.

On 4/25/2020 at 0:40 AM, Gderu said:

I was thinking animation more like Castlevania/Avatar when I made this video. I would also enjoy the Batman: the killing joke style! No Anime style hearts, eyes, or screaming your attacks before you fight.

• 1 year later...

I definitely agree! However, I think Mistborn could be pulled off as a live action. They are not to big of book, especially the first. I heard that apparently Sanderson wants a movie-series-movie for first era and I think that would be great! Cgi works for something like Mistborn.

I now have grey hair stressing about Stormlight live action films. I don't think anyone or anything other then animation is capable of doing justice to it. A live action would most likely bodge it up and not be able to include all the important/great bits. i wholeheartedly agree with everything he said in the video in this case. 

Edited by Sterisisunderated

12 hours ago, Sterisisunderated said:

I definitely agree! However, I think Mistborn could be pulled off as a live action. They are not to big of book, especially the first. I heard that apparently Sanderson wants a movie-series-movie for first era and I think that would be great! Cgi works for something like Mistborn.

I now have grey hair stressing about Stormlight live action films. I don't think anyone or anything other then animation is capable of doing justice to it. A live action would most likely bodge it up and not be able to include all the important/great bits. i wholeheartedly agree with everything he said in the video in this case. 

Yeah, Mistborn could be live action. Stormlight is the one I worry about given how important spren are to the story and the world.  If they look like garbage or their presence is reduced due to budgetary constraints it would be a huge detriment. 

• 1 month later...