Windblades

Wyndle88

During the visions from Honor, Dalinar visits a Kholinar just after the Desolations. Kholinar depicted there is shown with a huge windblades formation as part of the topography. I believe the palace section is built in to this if I remember it correctly.

2nd place I remember windblades is Aimia. When the ship goes past the storm, the group on 3 dinghies and a Soulcaster, she notices that one of the preventive measures taken were these huge windblades and the air made stone on top of these windblades or something.

I also think there is mention of windblades in Urithiru base . Could be wrong there.

Do you people think it's a natural formation or something related to Honor or any other theories?

From what I recall they are always described as seeming unnatural, and I want to say there was some version of them at several of the fractal oathgate silver cities.  The fact that they have the same three-color strata that Urithiru does makes me think they are formed by a similarly magical process, whatever that may be.  

They could go either way.  The Indus valley civilization for example built houses in specific shapes so that winds would be directed in a manmer that cooled them.  On Roshar people would naturally get together in places in which Windblades shielded them from storms because those places were safer.  Weather humans are building formations to keep them safe or just taking advantage of natural places I don't know although the size of the windblades and the strata suggest the former.

I think this has to do with the cymatics we were shown in book 1, when sand is on a metal plate that vibrates at a certain frequency, and when Dalinar uses his powers in Jah Keved.

Those windblades are there because the entire earth turned to dust and was shaken somehow, then frozen at the peak of the frequency. The forces involved must be enormous, and it gives a sense of scale to the power used in these places in times long past.

Hmm, no I don't recall any windblades on the Urithiru plateau

The entire island city of Akinah was ringed by ginormous stone pillars to block ships from approaching

Given that its Roshar, I think the process could be natural, so to speak, just more magical kind of natural, maybe something about those locations made the rocks be like that, it could have something to do with how the continent itself is a fractal pattern. Maybe the Silver Cities just sprang up on top of these locations.

They could also have been created via the use of the Surges, perhaps the Dawnshards. It's a common enough theory and a good one, I think. The usual suspects are the Surges of Illumination and Cohesion, if I recall correctly 

1 hour ago, R J said:

Given that its Roshar, I think the process could be natural, so to speak, just more magical kind of natural, maybe something about those locations made the rocks be like that, it could have something to do with how the continent itself is a fractal pattern. Maybe the Silver Cities just sprang up on top of these locations.

RoW spoilers

Spoiler

We actually know from one of Brandon's readings that towers built a certain way stand up while others are destroyed in the storms. 

Perhaps then the highstorms naturally work at a given pattern creating cymatics in huge loud low rhythms that leads to patterns being created naturally if the right materials are put in place.

In these context what does frequency mean? As in could it be related to the amount of Stormlight infused as the unit of power in this magic system is Stormlight. Stormlight is infused in gemstones which are actually 'cultivated' on Roshar. So technically a gemstone which can be infused with Stormlight is actually the result of both Shards' power working in tandem.

So same way all Silver Kingdom can be explained by connecting the above dots from previous replies that , all major Silver Kingdom capitals were made for humans by the combined powers of Honor and Cultivation. Maybe with the help of a Dawnshard , possibly.

I apologize if it went off topic slightly. Just trying to connect the dots.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 6:10 AM, Wyndle88 said:

In these context what does frequency mean?

Frequency means the same thing it does for the EM spectrum: distance between peaks.

On 4/23/2020 at 6:10 AM, Wyndle88 said:

As in could it be related to the amount of Stormlight infused as the unit of power in this magic system is Stormlight.

The amount of Stormlight would be reflected in the Amplitude, not Frequency. Amplitude is change from peak to trough.

Here's a good link with pictures of the difference between high and low amplitudes, and high and low frequencies: https://www.howmusicworks.org/103/Sound-and-Music/Amplitude-and-Frequency

So the high amount of Stormlight allows for a larger magnitude which makes the Windblades taller. The Frequency would be set, somehow, based on how fast the metal plate is vibrating, or in this case, how fast the rock is vibrating. I'm stumped as to what that would be. The Intent of whoever is controlling that much Stormlight, maybe.

I'm inclined to think that the Windblades could have been made either by a mass-Stoneward effort (or a fabrial that is tuned to Cohesion and Tension) or a mixture of Stonewards and Lightweavers (who would be using Illumination to produce sound vibrations to create the cymatics patterns in the Tension-loosened earth to shape the Windblades into existence).

We know that Roshar was grown by Adonalsium himself, (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/131-general-reddit-2016/#e3952)  and the patterns of the Dawncities very well can be a natural effect of the process that he used to create the landmass. It seems that the Windblades were simply part of this process. (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/358-fanx-2018/#e10715). Humanity may have searched out these places because of the added protection that they added. They might have been transformed, or affected in some other way at a latter date. Similarly they would have added the Oathgates after ect. I assume that the patterns of the cities also has a connection to the fact that the singers were the original inhabitants of Roshar, and they can hear the songs, and rhythmic patterns.