Mixed Blessings

Oltux72

Question

What happens if a Kandra were created with two spikes of different metals?
It should work, as only one spike is basically enough. But what blessings would they convey? Neither? Both but in reduced intensity? Both?

Will they make a resonance?

6 answers to this question

This is really the only relevant WoB that I could find.

Brandon Sanderson

Kandra Blessings

The Blessings are still a little confusing, I fear. Originally I designed a Blessing as a single bit of metal in each kandra's shoulder. Eventually, however, I realized that I needed to change this for magic system cohesion reasons. I changed it to be two bits of metal, one in each shoulder. So, each kandra has one Blessing, but that Blessing consists of two bits of metal.

Each kandra only gets one Blessing from among the different types. There will be more on this in the book later, of course.

The Hero of Ages Annotations (Oct. 22, 2009)

According to the coppermind

Two of the same types of spike make up a Blessing, and one Blessing converts a mistwraith into a sentient kandra. Kandra take longer to reach maturity than a human normally would take

but the WoB referenced is

Questioner

When a kandra is born, how long would it take them to reach maturity?

Brandon Sanderson

Longer than a human normally would take. It would depend on a couple of factors, such as how soon they are given spikes, and things like that.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

so I am going to edit it.

Um, we don't really have enough info to speculate. All we know is one needs two Hemalurgic spikes and a Mistwraith.

There could be more involved in the process, Bindpoints would be weird on these shapeshifters and the terminology is different (Blessings instead of spikes), though this could be cultural by the Kandra and/or info obscuration about Hemalurgy by the Lord Ruler and the Steel Ministry.

In The Lost Metal, from ReLuur's spike, it seems that other metals than the traditional four Blessings can be used to create Kandra (if I'm recalling this correctly)

Edited by R J

9 minutes ago, R J said:

In The Lost Metal, from ReLuur's spike, it seems that other metals than the traditional four Blessings can be used to create Kandra (if I'm recalling this correctly)

Yes.  Brandon has also said that more then four types of blessing that we have seen are possible.

To further complicate things, there are some contradictor WOB's on them.  One says that for Kandra purposes any pointy peice of Invested metal would work, while quite a few others say that they are very a unique type of Hemalurgic spike that only the Lord Ruler knew how to make. 

Questioner

Could Nightblood theoretically be turned into a Hemalurgic spike?

Brandon Sanderson

The problem with that is that Nightblood is already invested, so it depends on your version of ' Hemalurgic spikes'. Piercing someone's body with Invested metal can have weird effects all through the Cosmere, but ripping off a piece of a person's soul using an un-Invested spike to Invest it and create one is different... we're talking about two different things, right. So there's the.... so what is a Hemalurgic spike? For instance if you've got a spike that's Invested and you stick it into a Kandra on Scadrial it will still work as an Invested Hemalurgic spike. Making a new Invested spike by ripping off a person's soul, that's a different process and a little more difficult to accomplish and requires some specialized knowledge.

Barnes & Noble B-Fest 2016 (June 11, 2016)

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

To further complicate things, there are some contradictor WOB's on them.  One says that for Kandra purposes any pointy peice of Invested metal would work, while quite a few others say that they are very a unique type of Hemalurgic spike that only the Lord Ruler knew how to make. 

this does add some confusion but in the word of brandon it does say having any form of invested metal in the body will do wierd thinks so it could just be as simple as i have piece of metal A charged with some form of investiture and i jab it into a bind point it could act like a hemalurgic spike warping the body and mind like piece of metal B that i stabbed into someone and ripped out a piece of the soul so at that point its more a semantic issue  is metal A  considerd a hemalurigc spike even though while it acts like one when jabbed in a bind point but it wasnt made using hemalurgy or is metal B a true spike since it actually used hemlaurgy to charge it in the first place basically stating that it i use metal A in a kandra it could act as spike without actually being  made with hemalurgy and this wob specifally says the different blessings react as they do because of what they are stealing meaning all that other wob is saying is metal A could be used to give a kandra sentience even though its power isnt from a use of hemalurgy so it likely less a contradiction and more heres another way to do it 

Questioner

I was wondering a little bit about the kandra and they're made by Hemalurgic spikes. I was wondering if their Blessing comes from the effect that the Hemalurgic spike steals?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

5 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

What happens if a Kandra were created with two spikes of different metals?
It should work, as only one spike is basically enough. But what blessings would they convey? Neither? Both but in reduced intensity? Both?

Will they make a resonance?

to answer your question on if it would make a resonance this wob implys that its possible in theory but generally it wont happen this is likely applying to a hemalurgically gained power but we should be able to assume something  similer would hapen with the blessings 

Questioner

As far as Hemalurgy, when you give that-- when it's done to somebody, would that create a new resonance?

Brandon Sanderson

It's possible that it could. Though I'm gonna say, most of the time, no... Lots of things are possible, but I'll give you a "mostly no" on that one.

Questioner

What about savantism? Is that possible with Hemalurgy?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, it is.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

Edited by The Cardinal of Death