Snakenaps

4/20/2020 - Name of the King Ch. 1 - 4338 words - Sub 1

30 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, kais said:

LBL = line by line. It's when @Robinski gets into his copyeditor mode

Thank you! I knew it had to do something with critiquing but I wasn't sure what. I am not good with acronyms.

6 hours ago, kais said:

LBL = line by line. It's when @Robinski gets into his copyeditor mode

So, like, all the time...

And hey?! So, this is my fault now? :lol: 

@Snakenaps, Blacksad is originally in French (or maybe Spanish, actually), but there are English translations of the first three books in one hardbound volume. Books 4 and 5 are still just in French, and Spanish, I think, off the top of my head.

6 hours ago, Robinski said:

So, like, all the time...

And hey?! So, this is my fault now? :lol: 

@Snakenaps, Blacksad is originally in French (or maybe Spanish, actually), but there are English translations of the first three books in one hardbound volume. Books 4 and 5 are still just in French, and Spanish, I think, off the top of my head.

I'll have to see if I can nab the first three at the library once it reopens! The premise definitely intrigues me. 

As to books 4 and 5...well, this is what I get for not doing well in Spanish in college...I just won't be able to read them. Oh well!

Posted (edited)

On 4/23/2020 at 0:33 AM, Snakenaps said:

That means you're my new baseline: if a chapter is too slow for you, I have serious problems. 

Unfortunately, this isn't a classic epic. I don't get 400,000 words to slowly jump into a story. As it is, 126,000 words is longer than I want it to be. 

Happy to help! I maybe should clarify though that aside from Tolkin I haven't read much if any epic fantasy so tropes and pacing specific to epic fantasy aren't in my wheel house.

I have read quite a few non-fantasy epics (ie Shogun, Taipan, the Covenant by Michener etc.), monster sized classics and epic scifi. I should have been more specific in my comment, sorry about that.

I just wanted to clarify in case this affects my usefulness as a baseline :-) Sounds like you still have @Robinski either way though!

Edited by Sarah B

1 hour ago, Snakenaps said:

As to books 4 and 5...well, this is what I get for not doing well in Spanish in college...I just won't be able to read them. Oh well!

I'm a glutton for punishment. I discovered Blacksad in the Vigrin Megastore on the Champs Élysées, in Paris. The French are big into their graphic novels and the store has massive GN section. I have Books 4 and 5 in French, but I need to stop every two or three panels to look stuff up, my French is not quite good enough to read without a translation tool. But darn it, I love those stories and I am not going to wait!!

Wiki advises the following "The sixth and seventh volumes were supposed to have been released in French in 2016. In 2019, both volumes 6 and 7 are almost ready to be published in France. English translations will follow but no release date has been confirmed."