Aluminium versus Atium

Oltux72

Atium allows you to see someboy else's future. Apparently if you massively burn it, that is a limitation that can be broken and you get a future sight similar to what a Shard gets. Just that your mind cannot deal with that for long. We also know that future sights interfere with each other.
So one question, if it in last consequence peeks into the Spiritual Realm, it will need to interact with someody representation in it. Does burning aluminium prevent that?

46 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Atium allows you to see someboy else's future. Apparently if you massively burn it, that is a limitation that can be broken and you get a future sight similar to what a Shard gets. Just that your mind cannot deal with that for long. We also know that future sights interfere with each other.
So one question, if it in last consequence peeks into the Spiritual Realm, it will need to interact with someody representation in it. Does burning aluminium prevent that?

I'm confused, are you asking if someone burning atium could see the future of one burning aluminum or the effects of aluminum on futuresight I'm general.

2 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

I'm confused, are you asking if someone burning atium could see the future of one burning aluminum or the effects of aluminum on futuresight I'm general.

Is there a difference? I was writing on the assumption that atium provides a limited version of generic futuresight. Doesn't it?

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

aluminum objects dont produce atium shadows but remember aluminum allomancy is the power of presevration fitered threw aluminum so we kinda dont know if it would effect an atium burner like a piece of aluminum would 

Questioner

Would aluminum give an atium shadow? Like if someone threw an aluminum spear?

Brandon Sanderson

The aluminum would not give an atium shadow. Good question.

Words of Radiance San Francisco signing (March 6, 2014)

Burning aluminum probably makes burning atium impossible unless you are burning so much that you just overwhelm the aluminum.  If you are asking if you can avoid being seen by burning aluminum while using atium then I think yes.

7 hours ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

It does, in either case since aluminum burns immediately it wouldn't cause anything other than a half second blip.

Are we sure that aluminum burns instantly? I was under the impression that it just burned very quickly and we never saw anyone have enough of it to burn that we could see it last for longer than a split second.

3 hours ago, The Silverlight Scholar said:

Are we sure that aluminum burns instantly? I was under the impression that it just burned very quickly and we never saw anyone have enough of it to burn that we could see it last for longer than a split second.

The only time we ever see someone burn Aluminium in the books was Vin in TFE. When she burnt it all of her metals including the Aluminium was wiped from her system instantly. It is only one case so we can't be to sure but it would seem that Aluminium will purge all Investiture in your system and if there is nothing left it will destroy itself as well. 

12 hours ago, Karger said:

Burning aluminum probably makes burning atium impossible unless you are burning so much that you just overwhelm the aluminum.  If you are asking if you can avoid being seen by burning aluminum while using atium then I think yes.

I don't think that it would stop someone seeing your Atium shadow. All that A-Aluminium does is purge the soul of unwanted Investiture. Atium allows you to see the future by following the connection between you and your future self. I don't think that there is any overlap here that would allow you to interfere with the Atium burner.  

5 hours ago, Dancer said:

The only time we ever see someone burn Aluminium in the books was Vin in TFE. When she burnt it all of her metals including the Aluminium was wiped from her system instantly. It is only one case so we can't be to sure but it would seem that Aluminium will purge all Investiture in your system and if there is nothing left it will destroy itself as well. 

I don't think that it would stop someone seeing your Atium shadow. All that A-Aluminium does is purge the soul of unwanted Investiture. Atium allows you to see the future by following the connection between you and your future self. I don't think that there is any overlap here that would allow you to interfere with the Atium burner.  

Well, technically, Atium is an external metal, so it has nothing to do with your own future self (you never see your own shadow). And aluminum does not purge you of unwanted investiture - it purges you of most active and even some passive investitures, regardless of whether you want them or not.

About Aluminum:

Questioner 1

Does aluminum actually make the metals disappear, like, be metabolized? Or does it just cut the Spiritual connection?

Brandon Sanderson

So... I haven't actually canonized that... I've gone back and forth. For a while, I said it got rid of them. And there may even be... But the more I thought about that, the more it doesn't make much sense.

Questioner 1

It doesn't. Especially the way that duralumin works, it doesn't really make sense.

Brandon Sanderson

And so, I've been kind of pushing the other way. Since I haven't said it in-world, it's not truly canon, but I believe I've answered other fans saying that it burns them all away in a flash, and we might need it to do that, for future things. So, I'm undecided.

Questioner 2

It needs to get rid of them, but a path to sever the connection at the same time.

Brandon Sanderson

One of the big problems is, if it only severs the connection and leaves the metals, than you have heavy metal poisoning from some of the metals.

Questioner 1

But if it makes them burn away, that doesn't work the same way as duralumin. Duralumin only burns the ones you're burning.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. I kinda have to err back on the side of "it gets rid of them," just we don't have to deal with metal poisoning, but I've kind of been wavering a little bit, thinking, "Is there a better way to explain this."

LTUE 2020 (Feb. 15, 2020)

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/412/#e13599

Edited by Raphaborn

On 4/21/2020 at 0:07 AM, 18th Shard said:

Well, technically, Atium is an external metal, so it has nothing to do with your own future self (you never see your own shadow). And aluminum does not purge you of unwanted investiture - it purges you of most active and even some passive investitures, regardless of whether you want them or not.

Either way the person buring Atium does not touch the Aluminum burner with thier Investiture. They are not trying to push investiture into them to create an effect. So their should be no Aluminium interference. Any kinetic Investiture gives off pulses that A-bronze can detect even A-copper (if you can pierce the cloud). A-aluminum should be no different. If it doesn't effect other powers that don't directly interact but obsurve then Atium should still work on them.