Trying to remember a book I read ...

Snorkel

All these threads about Harry Potter have got me thinking again of another YA book I read back in '97, and I cannot remember the name.  The book was in new condition, but not sure if that's when it was first published.

It was about a kid (boy maybe?).  An old man gives him a magical board game, and he gets sucked into it, has to do things on the different squares to win/get out.  The old man may have been his grandfather, or a friend's grandfather?

Edit: Possibly one of the game squares/locations was a large building like a bank.

I vaguely remember a scene (in the real world) where the kid gets invited to the birthday party of a rich brat kid.  The rich brat kid has an amazing house with some kind of super play room which is accessed by a trapdoor in the ceiling.

I can't remember whether the brat went into the board game world with the main kid or not.

It was not Jumanji.

Anyone recognise my vague memories?

Edited by Snorkel

Nope, it's a board game, not a video game.  Thanks though.

Loved the Space Demons trilogy when I was younger.

My next step is to go into storage and see if I wrote about the book in my teenage diary.  I don't want to read my teenage diary D:

Edit: Nope, didn't start my diary until a year later.

Edited by Snorkel