Rhythm of War UK Cover

ILuvHats

It's been revealed! Gosh dang it, now I just want to see the Whelan cover even more. Also, does anybody know who the woman is with the sword? She looks like she has grey hair, so maybe it's Navani. No idea why she'd be carrying a sword though.

Edited by ILuvHats

I'm also confident that's Shallan. It's definitely not Jasnah or any of the Singers.

About the sword, I agree with Debarra, and it doesn't strike me as being Nightblood.

Overall I'm not very fond of this cover, and I'm really looking forward to the US cover design.

Personally, I think it's Shallan. Her face looks too young to be Jasnah or Navani. Lift doesn't wear havahs. Speaking of the havah, it's more loose and flowy than I remember them being depicted. 

What's in the foreground? What's she pointing at? Is that a column? A tree? 

2 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

I am certain it's Shallan. Too young looking to be Navani and Jasnah got the last cover.

Jasnah got the last North American cover. This could easily be Jasnah. In fact, I think that's the most likely scenario.

3 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

It appears to be Shallan in her "Radiant" persona.  

I don't see anyone else in this cover but Shallan. Jasnah was the UK Oathbringer cover, this does not look like Navani or Lift, Shallan has never been on one of the covers, etc. It could be a less obvious character I guess but I'm almost 100% sure this is Shallan.

6 hours ago, The_Archivist said:

it looks more like a stick

Book Four Ending Prediction: Shallan and Stick resolve their differences and work together. Stick ends up killing Odium in this epic standoff:

”Give me your pain.”

“I am a stick.”

“Give me your pain!”

“I am a stick.”

“GIVE ME YOUR PAIN!”

“I am a stick.”

Then Odium implodes out of frustration. The end. 

But in terms of the cover, I definitely think it’s Shallan. It’s not how I imagine her, but I don’t think it suits any of the other major female characters. 

Edited by The Awakened Salad

While we're on the topic, anyone have any insights into the North America cover or it's release? I remember for Oathbringer it had been released in March for the November release, and we're well past that already for Rhythm of War.

Edited by Goatbringer

Looks like all the other UK covers to me.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cover character. It doesn't need to be a faithful portrayal of someone in the book:

Questioner

So on the cover for Alloy of Law, is it Wayne standing next to Wax?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes and Wayne has a gun. So, we saw that. We didn't think it was worth changing. We recognize that that's the way it is but it's mostly just because the covers aren't meant to be an illustration of the book; they're meant to be evoking the feeling of the book and we liked the feeling of the book. We didn't want to have to go back to do reshoots because that's an actually photography shoot. All of those books, he has actors dress up and do the shoots and then Photoshops it.

It wasn't bad enough to make us say, "Ooh you have to go reshoot this whole thing." But Wayne has just not realized he's holding a gun yet and dropped it. Someone handed it to him and he's like, "What? Oh!" but they got the shot right before.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

The Whelan covers are another thing, of course.

I'm pretty sure that's Shallan, only because if it was navani or Jasnah they would have their safe hand covered with a glove (Navani always and Jasnah at least when she fights). It certainly looks older than Shallan but It is only a representation, not a faithful portrayal.

I love the fantasy genre! The only place it makes perfect sense for a person to wield a sword that’s twice as tall as they are. Seriously though great cover. I actually prefer the UK style of Sanderson works but live in the US and obtain those copies.

6 hours ago, Goatbringer said:

While we're on the topic, anyone have any insights into the North America cover or it's release? I remember for Oathbringer it had been released in March for the November release, and we're well past that already for Rhythm of War.

It was mentioned on Reddit (don't remember if it was Brandon or Peter who said it) that they won't be releasing the cover super early this time around Whelan is super busy and may still be working on it. 

My initial thought is that it’s 100% Lift... based off the reading I think we will see her grow a lot and maybe adopt some clothing styles?? Shallan had the inside of Words of Radiance.... (I secretly don’t want it to be Shallan because she’s just......the worst). Could also be Ash or that radiant who follows Mr T around? Based on the black blade and hand guard though I’m saying Nightblood and Lift (due to size of her and length of blade). 

I also think that's Shallan and if that's Pattern.. 

Spoiler

I wonder if saying more truths makes him longer (kind of like the reverse logic of Pinocchio's nose) :P

Anyway about the foreground I think that's a wooden trunk of a tree with crystal leaves.

Spoiler

Kind of like how cultivationspen being a merge of the two Essenses?

I hope it is Azure.  The problem with both Shallan and Azure as candidates as that their blades are generally shown to be quite small.  Yes Pattern can make alterations as needed but I still think that this makes Jasnah a more likely candidate.