Arsenal of commands.

Elsecaller_17.5

I've just finished rereading Warbreaker and I have compiled a list of every used command. I would like to add it to the coppermind so if you have any suggestions or additions I'd love to hear them. Here it is.

Fetch keys.
Protect Me.
Your breath to mine 
My life to yours. My Breath become yours.
Strangle things.
Lower me.
Strengthen me.
Upon call, become my fingers and grip.
Hold things.
Awaken to my Breath, serve my needs, live at my Command and my word. (Security phrase).
Untie.
Hold that branch.
Hold when thrown.
Grab (something).
Hold (something).
Move up.
Move down.
Twist around.
Upon call become my fingers and grip that which I must.
Become as my legs and give them strength. 
Find tunnels.
Twist things.
Grab things, then climb things, the pull me up.
Grab things other than me.
Lift me.
Attack and grab (person).
Grab things.
Fight for me as if you were me.

The only one I have a question one is this. 

You will stop.

Susebron used it when recusing Siri from Bluefingers. The book specifices he said it clearly and it seemed to have a magical effect. Could he have used this command on a knife physically stopping it. As I mentioned I'd like to add this list to the coppermind so I'd love some help especially from @Karger, @RShara, @Dreamer, @Halyo_Alex and @Quantus

22 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Mostly on whether or not "you will stop" is a Command or a command. 

I think it seems reasonable to call it a Command.  A carpet responds to it immediately without any further instructions.  You could note that its effects are unclear.

5 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Thanks for the quick responses!

One of the few benefits of being quarantined with limited things to keep me occupied. :D

Do you have any further questions or concerns?

Edited by Karger

Sorry but I can't help you much here. I didn't catalogue the Awakening Commands, though I think there was one similar to a lot of the others that you already caught that went like "be as my hands and...", but I'm not sure. I could be imagining it based on commonalities but I feel like I read that somewhere there (I can't check, I don't have access to my copy right now)

And I agree that You Will Stop was a Command, as various draperies, etc acted to enact it upon its utterance.

It's not in warbreaker but in Oathbringer,

Spoiler

Hoid uses the command "take care of her"

Here's the full quote

"He hesitated, then leaned down and touched the doll in the child’s hands. “Forget what I told you before,” he whispered. “Instead, take care of her.”

Edited by Eternal Khol

I definitely think it was a proper Command.  At the 9th Heightening you get Audible Commands, which lets you Command things you arent touching with just your voice.  As far as Commanding the Knife, I see two issues with that.  The first is that its metal, which would make it harder to Command, though Susebron still could technically pull it off.  Since the Vasher and Shashara needed to actually study and work at it to be able to Awaken metals (as far as I recall) I get the sense that the Instinctive Awakening from the Breath Horde wouldnt be enough to let Susebron do it.  The other side is that, based on a few WOBs, I get the sense that Awakening doesnt itself grant any additional flexibility or cohesion to an object, so if it's not capable of movement already it wouldnt be able to when awakened.  This one implies that it wouldnt make a liquid any more cohesive. This one mentions that even with the Phanom statues, there are seams at the joints.  So you might be able to stop the Knife in a practical way, but to my mind you'd need a more specific Command, like making it heat up until the person dropped it, or perhaps make it crack and fall apart?

20 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

It's not in warbreaker but in Oathbringer,

Hide contents

Hoid uses the command "take care of her"

Here's the full quote

"He hesitated, then leaned down and touched the doll in the child’s hands. “Forget what I told you before,” he whispered. “Instead, take care of her.”

It just occurred to me how ridiculously complex that command is. It's like He's is there just to make everyone else look bad.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

8 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

It just occurred to me how ridiculously complex that command is. It's like He's is there just to make everyone else look bad.

I know right, and the fact that he said "her" instead of being more specific with a name.

You can tell this command was like 5% saying the words and 95%visualization

7 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

I know right, and the fact that he said "her" instead of being more specific with a name.

You can tell this command was like 5% saying the words and 95%visualization

I bet that being a Lightweaver gives you a leg up in Awakening. You would already have a lot of practice with visualizing what you want to make happen.

• 2 weeks later...