Hentient

Blood soul casting

Question

So i'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but here goes it. 

when a soul caster turns something into blood, does that blood genetically match the soul caster, or does it not match anyone, like a neutral without any defining genetic features? 

I was re-reading the way of kings and it got me thinking when Shallan soul casts the goblet into blood and fakes suicide... If somehow they had the technology to test the blood, (maybe they will in mistborn era three who knows) would it be hers or just basic blood? 

this doesn't seem like it would be important to the Cosmere but its always been a question of mine, maybe i'll have to take it up with the big man himself.

4 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, Hentient said:

So i'm not sure if anyone can answer this, but here goes it. 

when a soul caster turns something into blood, does that blood genetically match the soul caster, or does it not match anyone, like a neutral without any defining genetic features? 

I was re-reading the way of kings and it got me thinking when Shallan soul casts the goblet into blood and fakes suicide... If somehow they had the technology to test the blood, (maybe they will in mistborn era three who knows) would it be hers or just basic blood? 

this doesn't seem like it would be important to the Cosmere but its always been a question of mine, maybe i'll have to take it up with the big man himself.

it does belong to someone a quote unquote universal donor that the blood matches who  that is no clue 

Tesh (paraphrased)

How does the whole DNA and blood type thing work?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There is a sort of universal donor. 

English Reading Series at BYU 2018 (Feb. 23, 2018)

Questioner

Soulcast blood? Does it have Rh factor? Or, does it match anyone's DNA?

Brandon Sanderson

So, the answers are to that, "Yes."

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

It doesn't have to be a universal donor as in it came from a person. Just something like O-.

My wild and unsupported guess is that the "universal donor" is a) Adonalsium's vessel (assuming he had one) or b) one of the two resident Shards, or some reasonable combination of them

Tesh (paraphrased)

How does the whole DNA and blood type thing work?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

There is a sort of universal donor. 

This biologically wouldn't work and I find this scene with Shallan incredibly frustrating because of just how many things would have to line up for what Jasnah does to be physically possible. :(

I'm actually in the middle of writing up a blog post explaining my issues with blood soul casting it's just taking me so much longer than I expected. Hopefully I finally get it out this week. :D Suffice to say I find the whole scene problematic. It's enough that it pulls me out of the story.