The Mistborn Breeding Program Was Started A While Ago.

Karger

On 6/16/2020 at 7:10 PM, robardin said:

And this is one of the things that always niggled me - shouldn't The Sign have been 1/16 of the popuation, not 16/100 of the population? Though that'd only be 6.25%, so maybe as a practical matter Preservation went with 16%.

Which also means that all Ruin had to do to fudge Preservation's little clue was get a base 12 or 16 (hexadecimal) counting system installed as the Final Empire standard, haha.

Well, there is a problem. The Final empire used a hexadecimal system for numbers. 

2 hours ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

That is inferred from hidden details, eh? Anyway it's one thing to take symbols and to assign numerical values to them, and another to say their everyday counting system was based on the same set as a basis. It could be that using the Steel Alphabet for indicating numbers was only done in contexts like what the Steel Ministry originally enforced, like maybe dates or shorthand for map coordinates, but not for ordinary counting or accounting.

2 minutes ago, robardin said:

That is inferred from hidden details, eh? Anyway it's one thing to take symbols and to assign numerical values to them, and another to say their everyday counting system was based on the same set as a basis. It could be that using the Steel Alphabet for indicating numbers was only done in contexts like what the Steel Ministry originally enforced, like maybe dates or shorthand for map coordinates, but not for ordinary counting or accounting.

Why would it not be in base-16? There are many languages on earth that use a base-16 number system. Also, there is no culture that uses two different number systems. That would be stupid. I am pretty sure this is either an oversight or Harmony/Spook changed the common number system used by people.

It has been described that although 16% of Scadrians have allomantic ability, only 1/1000 have snapped. Therefore, to procure more allomancers than average, it seems to me like the Set is torturing the offspring of the experiment to induce their Snapping. Otherwise, their operation would have to be enormous (20000+ kids to get just 20 allomancers) if it were to actually work. We know anguish can often cause Snapping, so it seems to me like the Set would forcibly induce that anguish to get more kids to Snap.

Edited by thebubblesarealie
redundancy

11 hours ago, thebubblesarealie said:

It has been described that although 16% of Scadrians have allomantic ability, only 1/1000 have snapped. Therefore, to procure more allomancers than average, it seems to me like the Set is torturing the offspring of the experiment to induce their Snapping. Otherwise, their operation would have to be enormous (20000+ kids to get just 20 allomancers) if it were to actually work. We know anguish can often cause Snapping, so it seems to me like the Set would forcibly induce that anguish to get more kids to Snap.

Sazed changed how snapping works

• 5 months later...

I've had a vague idea that 100% of Scadrians have allomantic potential but the mists are set up to take that 100% and choose 16% to snap.

1) Certain conditions put the system in a ready state.

2) People entering the are checked for candidacy. Candidates are probably Skaa who have not been exposed to ready mists. I find it interesting that the condition does not effect nobles. Like they had systems in place to Snap nobles but how does it know not to mark them as candidates? And if Kelsier had not Snapped in the aftermath of Mare's death and he somehow was brought from that moment to now would he have been a candidate for mist sickness?

3) Candidates are somehow grouped into batches by the mists. This could be based on where people are as well as how much attention people are paying to the phenomena. Like if you did experiments around groups being sent into the mist then it might react differently.

4) The mists then Snaps the 16% with the highest potential which is harder on those with weaker potential. Then the everyone not selected is somehow marked so the Mists know to leave those alone.

19 hours ago, Grytorm said:

4) The mists then Snaps the 16% with the highest potential which is harder on those with weaker potential. Then the everyone not selected is somehow marked so the Mists know to leave those alone.

You are referring to era one?