Radium

Atium + Electrum

8 posts in this topic

I've always had this question burning in me. What would the alloy of Atium+Electrum do? I understand if it doesn't do anything too mystical, but it has to do something to that extent since both metals allow the burners to see into the future by a few seconds, (whether it's your own future or another) 

We don't know any shard metal alloy allomantic purposes.(except Lerasium)

5 minutes ago, Frustration said:

We don't know any shard metal alloy allomantic purposes.(except Lerasium)

Actually, we can theorize in a few directions. To be fair, you're correct that we don't KNOW the purposes, but we can logically infer what they would do based on previous facts (which is what I love most about Brandon's magic systems. You can relatively safely predict what new things will do based on previous evidence and mechanisms).

Anyway, we know Malatium flips the internal/external axis of Gold, and we know all atium alloys have mental and/or temporal effects (even the alloys of stuff like Iron or Aluminum, which is kinda nutty). So, in theory, Electrum and Atium would flip Electrum's internal-ness to external, showing you possible futures of everyone around you.

Hey wait, that just sounds like Atium again, right?

Well I think there's a key difference. Electrum shows you MANY possible futures of yourself, so this alloy would do that with other people (and also not objects? unlike normal Atium).

In that sense it would be nearly useless, just automatically having the same effect as 2 atium burners fighting each other; a multitude of Electrum-Atium shadows from you and, in this case, literally everyone else (possibly within a certain radius). Basically a waste of atium and gold and silver.

Now it might have applications in Feruchemy or Hemalurgy that redeem it and make it worth forging this alloy, but for an Allomancer, it seems basically useless even for Utility and not Combat situations.

17 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Anyway, we know Malatium flips the internal/external axis of Gold, and we know all atium alloys have mental and/or temporal effects (even the alloys of stuff like Iron or Aluminum, which is kinda nutty). So, in theory, Electrum and Atium would flip Electrum's internal-ness to external, showing you possible futures of everyone around you.

There are two ways of looking at this. Either atium flips gold to an external target or gold flips atium to the past. Purely from the effect of malatium we could not tell the difference. If we look at lerasium we need to conclude that gold alters atium. And as soon as we are at that point, all bets are off, as the second parts of the alloy are basically arbitrary in allomancy. In fact, as there are multiple alloys of atium presumably we cannot be sure that the 2x2x2x2 system of allomancy holds true. It does not even hold true for feruchemy.

Maru Nui

What would an atium-electrum alloy do in Allomancy?

Brandon Sanderson

The alloys of atium have various temporal effects.

Footnote: The Allomancy chart poster reveals that atium alloys have various temporal and mental effects.
Tor.com Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Jan. 10, 2011)

We have heard it mentioned by Khriss that a set of 16 metals would be created per alloying god metals with the allomantic metals. So the other atium alloys wouldn't be random; they would be the metals we know plus atium. Atium-electrum does seem rather pointless though; it would probably be burnable, but just provide a similar effect to atium alone. Atium-Cadmium seems like an interesting combo though; perhaps burning it slows down your aging and general speed, if atium alloys really do swap the internal-external axis of metals. Atium-Bendalloy might be similar to Feruchemical speed, while also speeding up aging.

On 5/19/2020 at 6:40 PM, Light In the Darkness said:

if atium alloys really do swap the internal-external axis of metals

I don't think the 1 example we have seen is really sufficient to tell us this though, especially since we know it can't possibly be that simple for the physical metals, since we know Atium alloys produce temporal and/or mental effects - so either they do somethign completely different than what youd expect for the physical metals or else they add or alter the normal effects to produce temporal/mental effects.  either way we can be pretty certain that pewter+atium won't just flip internal to external and allow you to buff other people.  and i'm not even sure what an internal/external swap would even mean for iron and steel.  so thats 4 cases where atium alloys can't be simple internal/external flips, and I suspect that will hold true for the enhancement group as well, since those really shouldn't be considered mental or temporal effects.

I agree that it can't be that simple, and likely will fundamentally change many of the alloys. However, the resulting effects might still have an internal/external flip. For some of them, part might be a temporal delay between your decision and it happening. So, you burn Atium-steel, making yourself push in all directions in, say, ten seconds. but when the push happens, you aren't actually burning metals, so a seeker wouldn't see you. The affect, making you, in effect, steelpush, could be considered internal, since it is changing you, while also being temporally altered. However, there is also the push-pull flip seen with atium, so maybe Atium-steel would have the effect of an ironpull, similar to what I described above.

On 5/27/2020 at 9:00 PM, Dunkum said:

I don't think the 1 example we have seen is really sufficient to tell us this though,

True.