Wait, so Singer Rhythms are Investiture?

NiceBleach

Question

So I was reading the entry for Bronze in the wiki, and apparently the Rhythms on Roshar are investiture? Whose investiture are they?

They're not Odium's, right? Somebody in Oathbringer refers to him as the void which consumes Rhythms or something, and some Rhythms aside from ones he created are inaccessible while under his influence. Is this Cultivation's magic? Surgebinding's Honor's investiture, Voidbinding is Odium's, and the Old Magic, whatever the hell that is, is Cultivation's. Are the Rhythms also hers? Based on the wiki's Rhythm entry under Singers, I'm going to guess not.

Then are they, like the rest of Roshar, Adonalsium's investiture?

12 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, NiceBleach said:

Huh. So the real Investiture (or, I suppose, pre-Shattering Investiture) in this situation is that the Singers can hear the Rhythms?

Maybe, thought I tend to think of it more than they've evolved to just naturally sense more of the realmic interplay that makes up reality.  In the same way that their Gemhearts are confirmed to form via leakage from the Spiritual Realm, but I dont personally think of them as a magic system so much as simply how life works on Roshar where the realmic boundaries are so much thinner.  On the other hand, we know Roshar was Created specifically and unnaturally by Adonalsium, so maybe calling it a Pre -shattering magic system is more accurate

7 minutes ago, Experience said:

I don't think we know yet, but it might be from the third unkown shard that is at Roshar.

Do you mean Cultivation? Personally I think Roshar is closer to the other realms and the rhythms are like free floating investiture

We know all the shards that are on Roshar, or at least that are in the system, right? We've got Odium, Honor, and Cultivation.

Edit: We don't technically have Honor anymore.

Edited by NiceBleach
Rest in piece big boy Tanavast :(

They arent Investiture persay, as in a magic system that is associated with a particular Shard.  They are, however, a realmic effect, so certain sensory magics can detect them.  It has more to do with how reality works in the three realms.  Ditto the screams that Szeth hears from what I can tell:

Blightsong

Is anything magical going on with the screams Szeth hears?

Brandon Sanderson

Uhhh, Szeth's screams. Uhhm, I'm trying to decide how to answer this. It is not, see here's the thing. What we would call magical may not be considered magical in the Cosmere, but it depends on your definition of magic. Would Szeth if he were on our planet and have done those things would he hear those screams, probably not, but would someone else in the Cosmere who had gone through what he had gone through hear those screams, yes.

Blightsong

So it has to do with the spiritual realm?

Brandon Sanderson

Yea, mhmm, yea.

OdysseyCon 2016 (April 8, 2016)

7 hours ago, NiceBleach said:

I asked that a while ago. The answer I got was that it's more likely the Sibling is of both Cultivation and Honor, sort of like Feruchemy.

as far as I'm aware, that is still RAFO.  honor/cultivation mix seems the most plausible to most people, but unconfirmed, so the sibling being a spren of Odium is still a possibility.  or a spren that predates the shattering for that matter, since we know those exist on Roshar.

The Rhythms are confirmed to be a Cosmere-wide phenomenon

Ansalem1

Hypothetically, if all of the Listeners were to go extinct would the Rhythms still exist?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

WeiryWriter

Are there any other species in the cosmere that also interact with the Rhythms like the listeners do? (Though not necessarily in the same way?)

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

/r/books AMA 2015 (Aug. 24, 2015)

Rasarr

If you took a Parshendi... And they were born outside Roshar and never visited Roshar in their lives, would they hear the Rhythms beyond Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Would they hear the Rhythms beyond Roshar... If you took one that was not born on Roshar, would they feel the Rhythms off-Roshar or just Rhythms in general?

Rasarr

Rhythms in general.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, they would sense them.

Rasarr

Even beyond Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

What they are sensing... it's something that pervades the Cosmere but on Roshar has specific way of manifesting.

Rasarr

Is it the same thing that Soothers and Rioters are using?

Brandon Sanderson

Now you're straying into RAFO territory with your question/good question...

Warsaw signing (March 18, 2017)

Aethenoth

Can an Allomantic bronze burner hear the Rhythms on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, this is possible.

General Signed Books 2016 (May 2, 2016)

Questioner (paraphrased)

Could a Soother prevent a listener from attuning a given rhythm?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No. A coppercloud could, but I hadn't thought about emotional allomancy interacting. See, the rhythm isn't your emotion and doesn't determine your mood. It is a direct connection to the spiritual realm. So I guess soothing could make it harder just like it makes anything harder, in the same way that driving a car would be harder. [recording starts here] And so, for the same reasons that you can, um, it is possible that a coppercloud can play with it. Not a normal power of a coppercloud, but you’ve seen them do stuff similar.

Footnote: Question was cut off in recording, first bit reproduced from memory
Boskone 54 (Feb. 17, 2017)

So it is Realmatic, most likely from the Spiritual Realm since it seems to be Cosmere wide and the Spiritual Realm doesn't give two cremlings worth about physical distance