what command would you give an awakened piece of armor

The Cardinal of Death

so in this scenario lets assume you have up to the ninth heignting and are aware of night blood or shard blades and you want to make a viable piece of armor  simaler to them in capability any form of armor is allowed and organic and inorganic materials will be allowed what creative way and command would you give this piece of armor for a desired out come for me it would be  a wicker shield in the shape of a person given the command to protect me  so lets hear your idea wiith me pictuirng shard plate or or a half shard to create an inteligent shield that can withstand such weapons like a shardblade other creative uses of awakening are also allowed 

Edited by the cardinal of death

Well first I find a way to use Stormlight to power awakening(Add talk to Hoid to my to do list) Then stand in CR HighstormAnd give Wooden armor the command Protect me, and Heal when you are damaged All the while thinking about Shardplate. Force Literally tons of investiture into it and voila. 

"Be as Shardplate"  This would let it heal, resize to you, augment your strength and endurance, and even get the active display transparency bits of the helm.  I always figured the trick with commands is to encompass as many functions as you can within a single statement.  

Edited by Quantus

1 minute ago, Quantus said:

"Be as Shardplate"  This would let it heal, resize to you, augment your strength and endurance, and even get the active display transparency bits of the helm.  I always figured the trick with commands is to encompass as many functions as you can within a single statement.  

Meaning that there is a strong incentive to steal your armor.

That said, is this intended for a single fighter? If so, why keep to a purely defensive function? "Defeat attacks on me and repair yourself"

Question, can you give the pieces separate commands and order them to join in a complete set? Ordering the legs to aid your movement, a cape to hide you, a helmet to aid your senses and gauntlets to wither your enemies.

22 minutes ago, Booknerd said:

Well first I find a way to use Stormlight to power awakening(Add talk to Hoid to my to do list) Then stand in CR HighstormAnd give Wooden armor the command Protect me, and Heal when you are damaged All the while thinking about Shardplate. Force Literally tons of investiture into it and voila. 

clever wooden armor that acts as shard plate is pretty smart asuming everything goes correctly 

3 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

I might be misunderstanding your point, but I dont think so. With Awakening it would likely be Identity Locked and only work for you.  Unless we're talking Type IV sentience, but then they'd have to convince the armor itself, which would be unavoidable.

That said, is this intended for a single fighter? If so, why keep to a purely defensive function? "Defeat attacks on me and repair yourself"

Im sure that's equally possible, though it would take a more complex and custom mental image.  I was basically just using shardplate as a convenient template.  

Question, can you give the pieces separate commands and order them to join in a complete set? Ordering the legs to aid your movement, a cape to hide you, a helmet to aid your senses and gauntlets to wither your enemies.

I dont see why not, though I see two (potential) downsides.  The first is that you're now talking about several separate awakenings, so it would take many times more breath. The other is that Awakening as a general rule works best on objects that are Human shaped (presumably more compatible with the humans pseudo-soul that is powering it) so awakening a full set of human-shaped armor should (in theory) be easier and/ore stronger than individual pieces.  

8 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

it would likely act as a bunch of diffrent awakened objects although longer commands are probaly gonna take more breath i do like the idea of the shade/surge of divison gauntlets withering gauntlets

lets assume all objects in this scenario are type iv for simplicity back to the indivdual pieces being dificult because it requires more breath thats why i went with a shield in human shape to take less breath and if we allow using fabrials with these awakened objects what fun combinations could you make also since well assume these items are atleast sentient why not name them too 

For Awakening individual pieces a good bet would be "maintain your form" or something to that effect. Given the style of armour that we're looking at, that's basically what we want. Armour which, no matter what happens to it, does not change shape, corrode, decay, weaken, or otherwise fail. In other words, once we've formed the armour, we want it to stay the same. 

You'd need a more complex set of Commands if you wanted to Awaken a whole suit of armour all at once, and more complex still if you wanted protection from harder impacts that would hurt you even without deforming the suit itself, but for something like Plate, that should suffice. 

10 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Serve my will!

so a sentient im assuming suit of armor that can be controlled from a distance because if its anything like nightblood it could hear your thoughts interesting what would you be picturing mentally at the time specfially and would it change the material properties of the armor oh and for fun if you could use it with any kind of fabrial what would you use 

Its important to remember that a type IV biochormatic entity is so invested that it will block a Shardblade regardless of the command.

Keeping that in mind, I would awaken a suit of plate mail with the command "enhance my body" granting me increased strength, dexterity, and endurance.

Edit: and we never see nightblood need to be sharpened so a type IV might just be resistant to normal wear and tear too.

Edited by Elsecaller_17.5

34 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Its important to remember that a type IV biochormatic entity is so invested that it will block a Shardblade regardless of the command.

Keeping that in mind, I would awaken a suit of plate mail with the command "enhance my body" granting me increased strength, dexterity, and endurance.

Edit: and we never see nightblood need to be sharpened so a type IV might just be resistant to normal wear and tear too.

to be fair hes based on shard blades which seem to nigh indestructable and is confirmed to have a very high melting point so thats probably a side effect of how he was awakened but we havent seen another confirmed type iv so could be either or he was stained black when awakended so his physical structure was definatly changed atleast a little  could you even sharpen nightblood anyway hed just turn whatever tools you use to smoke

NeedsAdjustment

What's Nightblood's melting point?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood could survive a whole lot, so we're talking a pretty high melting point. But I haven't written it down specifically. (Some things are too detailed, even for me.)

Stormlight Three Update #4 (Oct. 5, 2016)

1 hour ago, the cardinal of death said:

to be fair hes based on shard blades which seem to nigh indestructable

Good point, but on the other side this awakened armor would be based on shardplate and would pick up a lot of traits from that intent.

Now that I'm thinking about it "destroy evil" has nothing to do with shardblades. This suggests that when dealing with type IV the command to intent ratio gets pretty skewed.

6 hours ago, Quantus said:

I might be misunderstanding your point, but I dont think so. With Awakening it would likely be Identity Locked and only work for you.

You ordered it to be like Shard Plate. That very much changes to adapt to every wearer.

Im sure that's equally possible, though it would take a more complex and custom mental image.  I was basically just using shardplate as a convenient template.

That has features you do not need, like the adaptability. Features it lacks, like some offensive options and undesirable features like extreme weight.

I dont see why not, though I see two (potential) downsides.  The first is that you're now talking about several separate awakenings, so it would take many times more breath.

That is the question. Do teh requirements grow with the complexity of the command? If so, to which degree?

The other is that Awakening as a general rule works best on objects that are Human shaped (presumably more compatible with the humans pseudo-soul that is powering it) so awakening a full set of human-shaped armor should (in theory) be easier and/ore stronger than individual pieces. 

Even if you tell it to be a part of a human shaped set with the command?

5 hours ago, Staenbridge said:

Given the style of armour that we're looking at, that's basically what we want.

Well, no. We would like the wearer to be protected if the enemy gets the idea of using flame throwers or magical lightning

26 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Good point, but on the other side this awakened armor would be based on shardplate and would pick up a lot of traits from that intent.

Now that I'm thinking about it "destroy evil" has nothing to do with shardblades. This suggests that when dealing with type IV the command to intent ratio gets pretty skewed.

yeah the command is definatly needes but your intent on how you want it to act is really important  so simlpy saying act like shard plate would be unnecesary you have it grant benefits simler to shard plate with a much simpler command wheter it would crack and shatter if hit with a shard blade is  probably a perception thing  since its so invetsed the shard balde should bounce of but if intent is so important you might make it act to much like shardplate for your own good if its given the ability to regenetrate  like shard plate you might get an absorbtion problem similer to nightblood albeit it could go tfhe nightblood route and be way stronger than normal shard plate which could have some interesting results jet black armor leaking black smoke composed of corroded breaths is a pretty cool image but theres no way to tell if its color would change like nightblood did 

15 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

You ordered it to be like Shard Plate. That very much changes to adapt to every wearer.

I mean, people will always have motivation to steal, thats just a human thing, so I dont see how this Command would make it more or less so than any other magic breath based magic armor.  If you are saying that using shardplate as the template would somehow make it more transferable, as in able to recover the breaths and whatnot, Im pretty sure your mental image alone cannot actually defy the more fundamental function of Breaths and Awakening.  Just because Real Plate has bonds that are transferable doesnt mean an Awakening impersonation of it will be.   

That has features you do not need, like the adaptability. Features it lacks, like some offensive options and undesirable features like extreme weight.

Well, I tend to gain and loose weight, so I would personally still like the Adaptability effects.  Another side of that function is that it moves and flexes with you, allowing for more grace and maneuverability than normal static metal.  

That is the question. Do teh requirements grow with the complexity of the command? If so, to which degree?

Even if you tell it to be a part of a human shaped set with the command?

You are still giving multiple objects entirely separate commands, I would have to assume that would take more Breaths than a single one (barring some really cool awakening breakthrough like the Scholars made with Lifeless).  And with individual and separate commands, they are separate objects, so yes, in each Awakening instance you are awaking something that is Hand Shaped or Foot Shaped, not complete Person Shaped, which as I understand it does make a difference.  I think that would be the fundamental trade-off to trying to grant so many different Commands, rather than working out a single cohesive one.  

On 08/04/2020 at 9:22 PM, Oltux72 said:

Well, no. We would like the wearer to be protected if the enemy gets the idea of using flame throwers or magical lightning

Oh, sure, just one problem.

On 08/04/2020 at 9:22 PM, Oltux72 said:

Either we're allowed to make armour that mimics shardplate or we aren't, but you can't criticise our ideas both ways. 

I chose the Shardplate direction, and I'm sorry, but when have we ever seen flame throwers on Roshar? In terms of abilities so far, Plate has basically just been supercharged medieval armour with some added fun features, like appearing to serve like something akin to a powered exoskeleton, turning translucent to aid in the user's visibility, and so on. Thus, for the actual armour plating, you don't need to give it the ability to dissipate vast quantities of heat, serve as an airtight seal against gases, allow for lightning to be conducted safely around the wearer, etc. Really, all you need to do for the majority of the armour pieces is get it to stop you from having a bad case of stabbed. For the rest, we already have Commands which go a long way for this, such as Vasher's trousers to which he says, 'become as my legs and give them strength'. For shock absorption, another feature of Rosharan Shards, if that isn't sorted by the way the plates themselves resist deformation, then you can Awaken a padded suit underneath with Commands relating to mimicking your skin and reducing force; you could even combine this with the powered exoskeleton part, and as your third/fourth Commands add something like "be as a body and accept my commands". This would let you leave the suit of armour and tell it to run off and deal with other stuff while you do something. 

Your overall suit of armour would then be composed of dozens of small armour plates (which could probably just be some organic textile, based on what Vivenna does) each individually given purely damage-resisting Commands, affixed to a bodyglove-like underlayer which has all of the ancillary features we want. For a helmet you might be able to give it a Command to "aid in my sight" in addition to the normal protective ones, but I'd have to think about that one some more because I don't know how easy it would be to transfer your Intent to a fabric hat-turn-helmet with that Command. 

9 hours ago, Experience said:

The problem with that is that Nightblood would just eat away the Investiture in the awakened object.

yeah and the fused already know his sheath can block him so theyd just get some aluminum armor wich would repel shard blades and night blood 

On 4/10/2020 at 9:04 PM, Nameless said:

If I was Hoid or a Fused, then I would give it the command: "block Nightblood"

Okay, I'm dying XD

On 4/10/2020 at 10:35 AM, Staenbridge said:

I chose the Shardplate direction, and I'm sorry, but when have we ever seen flame throwers on Roshar? In terms of abilities so far, Plate has basically just been supercharged medieval armour with some added fun features, like appearing to serve like something akin to a powered exoskeleton, turning translucent to aid in the user's visibility, and so on. Thus, for the actual armour plating, you don't need to give it the ability to dissipate vast quantities of heat, serve as an airtight seal against gases, allow for lightning to be conducted safely around the wearer, etc. Really, all you need to do for the majority of the armour pieces is get it to stop you from having a bad case of stabbed. For the rest, we already have Commands which go a long way for this, such as Vasher's trousers to which he says, 'become as my legs and give them strength'. For shock absorption, another feature of Rosharan Shards, if that isn't sorted by the way the plates themselves resist deformation, then you can Awaken a padded suit underneath with Commands relating to mimicking your skin and reducing force; you could even combine this with the powered exoskeleton part, and as your third/fourth Commands add something like "be as a body and accept my commands". This would let you leave the suit of armour and tell it to run off and deal with other stuff while you do something. 

Your overall suit of armour would then be composed of dozens of small armour plates (which could probably just be some organic textile, based on what Vivenna does) each individually given purely damage-resisting Commands, affixed to a bodyglove-like underlayer which has all of the ancillary features we want. For a helmet you might be able to give it a Command to "aid in my sight" in addition to the normal protective ones, but I'd have to think about that one some more because I don't know how easy it would be to transfer your Intent to a fabric hat-turn-helmet with that Command. 

This is easily the best idea we've seen yet. Though, as long as the armor is relying on Commands and Investiture for durability - and other features - I see no reason to even use something like wood.  I mean, you could literally make a layered cloth suit for all of the functions.

The outermost layer is knitted of two different types of thread, one with the Command "remain intact" and the other with the "resist Investiture and Nightblood."

The next layer is told "distribute impact."

Beneath that, the Command "absorb impact" would be aided by the previous distribution Command. Fabric can take basically any impact, especially if you distribute it across the entire surface.Most protective measures have been taken at this point, and your wearing the equivalent of a three-piece suit in terms of thickness.

To protect you facial features and neck from basic pushing force with n real impact to cancel, a layer or two with "act as my shell" could be used. 

We don't stop there, though. Beneath that is a layer with "act as my body and strengthen me."

Next, "warm me when cold." This Command would be fairly intuitive, as the threshold for cold will likely be understood by the Awakened textile by nature of its human mimicry, and Intent will help.

Obviously, you will need a layer with "cool me when hot" just because of the number of layers, but an additional layer with that command would serve against external heat, too.

At the very center, a layer with "prevent chaffing" might be appreciated.

After Awakening the layers separately, quilt them together with thread told to "remain intact" to keep the layers from sliding against each other in the wrong ways and becoming quite uncomfortable.

You now have some epic gambeson, which can be worn under similarly Awakened paper armor or mundane - if thick - aluminum plates, just to be sure. Heck, even Awakened leather would make this cooler on the very outside.

EDIT: I'm calling this concept Shardgambeson. Because it amuses me.

Edited by Sazedezas
Decent joke added