Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robinski

The Business of Writing and Publishing

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey, everyone!

I do believe there is something of a consensus that having a thread to collect posts, news, questions and general chit-chat on the business elements of writing would be a useful thing. So, here it is. The thread name is self-explanatory, I hope (but also kind of boring, so open to suggestions for a snappier name.)

Cheers, Robinski

p.s. @Silk, I wonder if this might be pinned? I don't think there's too much clutter at the top of the forum.

Edited by Robinski

Of Author and Agents (a riff on "of mice and men") I hope that makes sense for a thread name.

100% here for this thread! For what it's worth, I'm agented and published with both small and midsize presses, so am very happy to talk about the rollercoaster of that experience, if needed.

I've been published with a small presses and have gone through four failed attempts to get an agent. Attempt five coming soon. 

On 4/9/2020 at 11:59 AM, shatteredsmooth said:

I've been published with a small presses and have gone through four failed attempts to get an agent. Attempt five coming soon. 

Once we're going on writing experience, I've completed a rough draft of one novel with a friend for NaNoWriMo, and am currently trying to write another which will hopefully end up under the lens of reading excuses.

Posted (edited)

I have no publishing experience (yet!), but keep a running publishers/writers reference sheet were I keep track of everything I find or that has been recommended to me by wiser and more experienced writers (like the ones here!):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y7fORDdp-Txszy0il4SQI1PosOlLaVNQNGq49FjASkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Contents currently include these categories:

The Publishing Industry:

• The Big Five
  • Notable Imprints
  • Other Publishing Companies

The Writing Community:

• Organizations
  • Conventions
  • Awards
  • Contests
  • Magazines and Other News Sources

Resources:

• Querying/Market/Agent Resources
  • Podcasts
  • Blogs
  • Books
  • Workshops
  • Acronyms
  • Other Resources
Edited by Snakenaps
Added the categories

Heads up! #DVpit, the Twitter pitch contest for marginalized writers, is tomorrow! Today was kid and YA, tomorrow is adult. It’s a good chance to snag some agent attention!

@Turin Turambar you’d have to look it up on the hashtag. Probably 8 or 9 eastern