Please Stormlight 4 Now

I'm asking Brandon to find a way to release book 4 or an early version of it on the internet in the next few weeks.  A lot of us are heading into very hard times right now.  We need a distraction, something better than Tiger King.  But we need more than that. We need to know how to care like Kaladin does.  We need to know how to put ourselves back together piece by piece like Shallan.  We need Dalinar's leadership even in the face of terrible odds, his hope, his courage.  We even need Jasnah's detachment.  

I know I'm asking Brandon to compromise his work and vision, to rush the process and produce an imperfect product. I'm asking him to give up money.  We need this now.  This is a time for heroes and Brandon you are ours.  Life before death.  - Clark

I’m sure Tor would love that. People always think if they have certain possessions they can achieve joy and happiness. We all have to make the decision to be happy and to be “Grateful in any circumstances”. People that are truly happy are not the way because of what they possess but that attitude they carry with them.

Edited by Ammanas

SA four is still needs some serious editing.  Also we don't have the Rysn novella yet which should be released first.  Also if you think you need it now imagine how much more you will need it later.

Edited by Karger

While I'm sure many of us would love to read this book while we're all stuck at home, I'm not so in favor of it to ask Brandon to compromise his vision, or release an incomplete product. I mean, I don't know how versed you are in Video Games, but look what trying to meet unrealistic expectations and deadlines got the developers of No Man's Sky. That game was hyped up for years before release, and in an attempt to stick to their own deadlines that they had imposed, the developers released an incomplete version of the game that was critically panned. I don't want SA 4 to end up like that. On the plus side, this quarantine gives Brandon even more time to work on the refinement of SA 4 ^_^.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

Also we don't have the Rysn novella yet which needs to be released first. 

Was that confirmed? I don't think I've ever heard anything of the like.

OP, I feel your anxiety & I truly hope you can find something more real-world to anchor your spirit to in these rough & stormy seas. You can learn to care like Kaladin, & learn to pick up the pieces like Shallan, & find strong & trustworthy leaders to follow here and now - real people, not just fiction. As Sander-fans, our idealism can deepen our sorrow at life's difficulties, but it's also our idealism that can help see us through. You're stronger than you think - I know it!

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, ConfusedCow said:

The first half of the book, a novella, even a statement to the fans would mean a lot.  

I truly get the desire for more Stormlight stuff and the need to find something solid in this ever-changing storm of a time, and while I don't know your personal situation, I'm not sure having Sanderson release anything early other than the chapters snippets he's already released is a good thing at this moment. The book still has a way to go before it's finished, and this isn't a situation where the author has been quiet, evasive, or misleading about their book's progress. We have a release date (November 17), we know what the novella released will be but it needs to be written first, and the actual book comes first before that. Sanderson gives us updates on Reddit (his latest one from last month) and even said that he's "neck-deep in revisions" as recent as last night/this morning. 

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad for ever." Shigeru Miyamoto. This can also be true for books, or any project that has time limits.

You say we need to know how to care like Kaladin does, but the answer is in the stories he's already told, not just the new book. We find a way to move forward, move to our next steps because we saw Dalinar do that. We can't wait for our next steps to be in-line with Dalinar's unfortunately, but maybe the path he's walked so far is enough for now. 

(Also, if you're looking for something on Netflix, I recommend The Dragon Prince if you haven't watched it already). 

Edited by Use the Falchion

Oathbringer came out in mid Nov and had weekly chapters online starting in....what, like end of Aug-early Sept?

So not a tooootal stretch to hope we could get some chapters in July maybe? 1-2 a week instead of 3 a week?  Although hopefully by then life is a little less crazy in general.

Guess it really comes down to what the editors say.  And how much those early chapters reflect or may cause changes in later stuff.  I'm assuming that a decent chunk of time before the release is for actual printing, packaging, shipping, etc.  But if it's digital......

Edited by Zelly