When is the sequel coming out?

Adonalsium'sSpren

This is from The State of the Sanderson 2019:

I know a lot of you keep waiting on Rithmatist news, and I feel bad having to give you the same news every year. (Yes, that paragraph above is the same one I put in the State of the Sanderson last year.) But the truth is, I really can’t work on this until at the very least Alcatraz is finished.

A glimmer of light for you Rithmatist fans is this: my son just read the book, and he’s joined the crowd calling for me to do a sequel. So you have an in-house representative.

Alcatraz 6 is "basically done", so not too far off but still a few years

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Alcatraz 6 is out. State of the Sanderson 2022:

At long last, after years of promising it, Book Six, Bastille vs. the Evil Librarians, came out earlier this year. Janci did a wonderful job, and I am delighted that we were able properly conclude this smaller yet still beloved series. Alcatraz now joins Legion in that category, and only The Rithmatist remains. (I almost don’t want to get back to that one now, if only for the memes…)

ELANTRIS/WARBREAKER/RITHMATIST

All will have to wait until Stormlight 5 is finished, I’m afraid. Stormlight’s my main focus now!

So... We'll have to wait at least two more years. Probably more.

• 11 months later...

So I remember watching Sanderson doing a youtube video and in it he answers questions and someone brought up when is the sequel going to happen. I swear he said something along the lines of I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the racism in it. I wish I could find that video again but ever since I can't find it again. 

Ever since hearing that I can't think of how or what is considered racist in it.

23 hours ago, Thor-son-son-Vallano said:

So I remember watching Sanderson doing a youtube video and in it he answers questions and someone brought up when is the sequel going to happen. I swear he said something along the lines of I still haven't figured out how to get rid of the racism in it. I wish I could find that video again but ever since I can't find it again. 

Ever since hearing that I can't think of how or what is considered racist in it.

AFAIK, this was the last we have heard so far:

Spoiler

Questioner

If you've been having success writing books with other authors, as you've had, is that a strategy you might write sequels to Rithmatist?

Brandon Sanderson

It is something we've considered with Rithmatist, yeah. What would be really nice is, if I'm adding a coauthor, getting somebody who has Aztec heritage (because I wanted to write the next one taking place and dealing with kind of some Aztec lore and things like that) would be really cool. So that's kind of what we've been looking for, if we can find somebody who at least has some understanding of some Mexican heritage and things like that, or a scholar of that. That is probably where we're gonna go, when we do it; we just have to find the right person. So that's what we're looking out for. If you know writers that you really like, you can send me emails about who I should look into.

Dragonsteel Mini-Con 2021 (Nov. 23, 2021)