Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elsecaller_17.5

Aluminum Savantism

4 posts in this topic

I'm sure it's been discussed before but I can't find it anywhere. We know that aluminum can expel all investure so my thought is that an aluminum savant might just be entirely investure repellant. There are a couple WoB supporting it but their both very old. 

Andrew The Great (paraphrased)

What benefit does an aluminum savant get?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Is it even possible to become an aluminum savant? You'd have to be burning aluminum consistently, and aluminum just kind of goes away in a burst.... After that, he discussed how being an aluminum misting will likely be considered a handicap in the Mistborn RPG because you can't pick up other allomantic abilities.

Idaho Falls Signing (June 20, 2009)

Douglas

What benefit does an aluminum savant get? Yes, I know this would normally never happen because aluminum burns itself up. Suppose a mad scientist with a willing Mistborn test subject shoved a feeding tube down the Mistborn's throat to pump in a continuous stream of aluminum, replenishing it steadily so there's always a new unburned supply. Add another tube to pump out excess water if necessary. What would he discover? Alternatively, what would Sazed with his Shard-granted knowledge know?

Brandon Sanderson

Ha, that IS a little silly of a method. However, on the extreme end of aluminum, I have in the notes the possibility of cleansing the spirit of unwanted effects of other Investitures. You'd get really good at this, and maybe even be able to cleanse the body of other impurities.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 27, 2012)

There's also this which I don't know what to make of.

Wyndlerunner

You've mentioned in the past aluminum savants being able to somewhat heal their spiritweb, healing them of the cracks, sort of healing them of Allomancy. Could a chromium savant do this to other people, kind of like in the Avatar [The Last Airbender] finale where he seals bending?

Brandon Sanderson

I will say RAFO, but I will say you're theorizing along correct directions.

Orem Signing (March 16, 2019)

Thoughts?

At a certain point I am worried that aluminum savantism means that your own allomancy no longer functions.

6 minutes ago, Karger said:

At a certain point I am worried that aluminum savantism means that your own allomancy no longer functions.

I agree, but I wonder if this would bypass the limitation on needing to constantly burn. If becoming a Aluminum Savant would make you investure repellant even while you weren't actively burning.

4 hours ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

I agree, but I wonder if this would bypass the limitation on needing to constantly burn. If becoming a Aluminum Savant would make you investure repellant even while you weren't actively burning.

Maybe it "fixes' your spiritweb so perfectly when you hit savantism that it immunizes you to certain effects at their lower strengths. Like, your whole body acts like Aluminum realmatically, immune to investiture effects like being Lashed, or whatever.