Mistborn Screenplay Progress Bar

Kelsier'sGodComplex

GUYS!! MISTBORN SCREENPLAY IS AT 10%! YOU CAN SEE THIS ON BRANDON'S WEBSITE!!!

Question: Animated or live action?

I personally want it to be animated. For many reasons.

1) The CGI.  After the Sonic movie, and Cats, it's clear that we cannot rely on CGI to get it right. The flying with allomancy is probably gonna look really awkward, or look super fake. And the mists will look cooler.

2) The characters will look more accurate. 

3) The settings will look cooler, too.

I don't know if this is an unpopular popular opinion or not. My sister, @Mailnaise, wants it to be live action.

Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 11.14.21 AM.png

29 minutes ago, Karger said:

He has not revealed anything about the movie if he has an option for one. 

At least, nothing new. DMG still holds the option, so they have first dibs on it.

32 minutes ago, Kelsier'sGodComplex said:

I don't know if this is an unpopular popular opinion or not.

I'm on your side of the argument, honestly. I emailed DMG themselves about it, and they said they'd take it into consideration, which bodes well.

My guess is that if and when a Mistborn movie comes out, it will be a CGI-heavy live action. I would love to see Mistborn as an animation, but the simple fact is, animation is still considered for children to many audiences. Live action would allow Mistborn to reach more markets and therefore turn a higher profit. I worry that any Mistborn movie be a low-budget YA movie, rather than the action-packed, dark story that it is, but I will have to trust Brandon that if he ever sells the rights to the screenplay, he'll sell them to the right company.

4 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

I would love to see Mistborn as an animation, but the simple fact is, animation is still considered for children to many audiences.

That's part of why I want it to be animation. That mindset can't change without examples to lead the change, and Mistborn could be the starting point for that.

9 hours ago, Invocation said:

That's part of why I want it to be animation. That mindset can't change without examples to lead the change, and Mistborn could be the starting point for that.

Thankfully, we have been seeing a shift in animation in the last couple of years, namely Netflix's Klaus and Sony's Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse. Those two films started pushing what we expect from animation - namely, a departure from Disney/Pixar/DreamWorks/Blue Sky-esque animations. In my opinion, in order for an animated Mistborn to work, it would have to have a different style than tradition 3-D animation... otherwise we fall back into the same concern that people will assume it is for children. Personally, I think that this is a good thing, as imagine Steel Inquisitors or koloss in a Disney-esque style. 

Keep in mind, I'm no expert on this. I'm no animator. But right now, film-wise, adult animated films are not hitting the big screen. They're released straight to DvD or stream. These films typically - but not always - have a considerable following. Consider the 2-D animated DC movies like Batman: The Killing Joke. Or Seth Rogan's extremely inappropriate low-budget 3-D animated film about hot dogs (if you don't know about this film, please don't look it up). The animated films that are hitting the money jacket pot...are still children's movies. 

In my opinion, seeing an animated Mistborn film is unlikely, which pains me to say. Brandon Sanderson is very well known in the fantasy genre, but he isn't JK Rowling. He isn't known by the average, random person. The average, random film goer. In order to see an animated Mistborn movie hit the big screen, a major film company would have to take it on, so that it would have that name recognition, a solid budget, and excellent marketing. Then the movie would have to have enough of a following to convince people to buy a ticket and go. Right now...Mistborn is popular, but most people have no clue it exists. I mean, even my Dad, who refers to Cinderella as "the lady in the blue dress," knows about Twilight and Harry Potter. Mistborn, as it stands right now, doesn't have the following to have the momentum to break people's long-held conceptions on what animation is, and can be. 

However, a live action Mistborn could potentially cross markets and appeal to a wide group of people, who are used to seeing CGI-boosted live action. Mistborn has action, drama, romance, monsters, and a heist...themes, I bet, you see all the time in the average live-action movie. 

Let's also take a look at YA/adult book adaptations. If I Google book-to-film adaptations and only look at adult films (no Dr. Seuss), then let's see how many are live action with plenty of CGI: Annihilation, Arrival, Ender's Game, Twilight's five films, Divergent's four films, Harry Potter's eight films, World War Z, It, Percy Jackson's two films, Ready Player One, Mortal Engines, Eragon, Maze Runner's three movies, The Giver, all of the Lord of the Ring's and Hobbit movies, A Monster Calls, Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, The Martian, and, soon, Dune. 

Out of the list I just gave, fifteen were from adult books (six of which were Tolkien) and twenty-eight were YA. Mistborn is perfect in the fact that it is very low adult as fantasy novels go. It is not, frankly, Game of Thrones. Mistborn appeals to a considerable number of YA readers. Traditionally, the age range for YA is 12-18, but more than half of its readership are adults. Mistborn is beautiful, because it can easily reach the markets for both adult and young adult...and as you can see, there are plenty of YA and adult CGI-boosted live action movies. 

Would I love an animated Mistborn movie? Absolutely I would. Do I think it will happen? No, not really. That's what I see from the history of film, and as much as I would love to see a change in people's perceptions of animation, I don't think it will be Mistborn making that change. I would love to be proven wrong. 

That being said, if Mistborn was an animated movie, what would it look like?

51 minutes ago, Snakenaps said:

That being said, if Mistborn was an animated movie, what would it look like?

I'm guessing a rather adult looking pseudo-anime mainstream animation style, like Castlevania or Legend of Korra (but with more of a black-red color palette):

Which I would like a lot. It fits the tone better than live action with CGI overload (which would be inevitable). However, I agree that it's unlikely to happen. But one can dream.

By the way, the sonic movie turned out reasonably ok and also we have good examples of good cgi, for example in the first avengers the hulk was completely cgi also we should just hope that they don’t try to rush it because again the sonic is decently good in the move when, to my guess they didn’t really rush it.

5 hours ago, Snakenaps said:

In order to see an animated Mistborn movie hit the big screen, a major film company would have to take it on, so that it would have that name recognition, a solid budget, and excellent marketing.

If we want the best possible version of the film, which we do, that would probably be one of the only ways that it could happen. Right now it just doesn't have the recognition to take off like other popular movies, even though we know it could be great. I'm, personally, willing to wait a while for a well-budgeted movie because the last thing that I would want is a low-budgeted one that doesn't fulfill the image we have. 

I would love to see an animation, but I really would like to see what a live action movie would be like. Part of me is just curious to see who they cast for the characters, like for Vin or Kelsier.

People are forgetting that high budget movie can flop hard and destroy any possibility of future adaptations 

I don't know why we need a cinematic live action movie. I daresay a Netflix animated series would do much better gathering new audiences than a movie from this completely unknow studio Sanderson signed

You want a loyal adaptation to finally see with your eyes what he's writing without any budget limitation? Go for an animation. This is no Game of Thrones, there isn't any HBO ready to spend over 5 million each episode (and Mistborn is much more fantasy heavy, would need far more visual effects than GOT ever needed). In the current state a live action will just be a disaster.

Edited by IcaroRibeiro

Personally, I'm hoping for an animated Mistborn, as unlikely as it is. You just wouldn't be able to capture the mist-ery of the mists in a live-action, and it really wouldn't look different than a regular fog. I'm also not really confident in live-action's ability to pull off those awesome fight scenes. Stuff like that. 

I think that an animated show would work better, when I read it I felt that the fight scenes and general setting suited an animation style more than a live action; and you never know, maybe one day they could do a live action remake when it is more famous and may have a higher budget to be able to afford the high-quality CGI it would need!

But to be honest I’m just happy that it will/may be getting an on-screen adaptation. :D