Do you want adolin to become radiant?

Should adolin become radiant?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. ---

• Yes, I want him to bond a spren and have the powers of a radiant
    • No, I think he should remain unpowered.

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

How about if Maya gets revived, but her spirit is damaged keeping her from being able to give powers, so she bonds HIM to accomplish the Nahel bond? Now that would be a twist

I think that's already how it works. The Radiant says the oath, but the Spren decides whether or not to accept it.

30 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I think that's already how it works. The Radiant says the oath, but the Spren decides whether or not to accept it.

Well technically yes. What I'm saying is that instead of Adolin getting power from Maya's decision to bond, Maya gets her power from Adolin's decision to bond. In this case Adolin would probably be pulled more toward the Cognitive realm and Maya would be more Physical realm. Neither of them would have full traditional Radiant power, but both are better off from it. (And it would be a weird, interesting change to the dynamic of Roshar's system)

So, here's a thought that's way out of left field, but the more I think about it the better it sounds.

What if Adolin becomes a Dustbringer?

Now, I know we don't know a ton about Dustbringers. For this I'm running on the theory that Dustbringers were selectively destructive. They would basically be like Nightblood, but with an actual reasoning human concious to make decisions on what was evil. They would go around and destroy "Evil" or at least what endangered other people.

So, bringing this back to Adolin, I think we've already seen a glimpse that he has a slightly darker side. He perfectly embodied the ideals of a dustbringer when he killed Sadeas. He saw something evil, something that was a threat to a lot of people, and so he destroyed it.  I think this would be a very interesting turn for Adolin's story to take.

Edited by Nellac

3 hours ago, Nellac said:

Now, I know we don't know a ton about Dustbringers. For this I'm running on the theory that Dustbringers were selectively destructive. They would basically be like Nightblood, but with an actual reasoning human concious to make decisions on what was evil. They would go around and destroy "Evil" or at least what endangered other people.

As someone with(apparently) a high Dustbringer aptitude(according to the KR quiz) I agree to an extent with this assessment.  My actions may appear spontaneous or aggressive but the basis for Dustbringer decision making seems to be taking an action immediately rather then figuring out the correct action and then taking it.  However I think Adolin is more of a people pleaser an ethos that is very much connected to what we know about Edgedancers.  For him good is what makes people happy regardless of weather the action is destructive in nature or not.

On 4/15/2020 at 0:28 PM, Pete said:

Well technically yes. What I'm saying is that instead of Adolin getting power from Maya's decision to bond, Maya gets her power from Adolin's decision to bond. In this case Adolin would probably be pulled more toward the Cognitive realm and Maya would be more Physical realm. Neither of them would have full traditional Radiant power, but both are better off from it. (And it would be a weird, interesting change to the dynamic of Roshar's system)

Sounds like a lesser version of Lift, with her ability to climb on Wyndle. I just reread the part where Adolin uses his shardblade as a platform to jump up a cliffside, and it'd be a cool bit of foreshadowing if Maya ends up being able to partially manifest physically and she can basically give him a double jump in fights. 

Although I think one theory for Lift is that she partially exists in the cognitive realm, so it might be a bit redundant to have two Edgedancers who straddle the realms. Unless there's a 'theft and mischief' archetype with Lift and a martial 'crash and bash' type with Adolin.

26 minutes ago, jamesbondsmith said:

Sounds like a lesser version of Lift, with her ability to climb on Wyndle. I just reread the part where Adolin uses his shardblade as a platform to jump up a cliffside, and it'd be a cool bit of foreshadowing if Maya ends up being able to partially manifest physically and she can basically give him a double jump in fights. 

Although I think one theory for Lift is that she partially exists in the cognitive realm, so it might be a bit redundant to have two Edgedancers who straddle the realms. Unless there's a 'theft and mischief' archetype with Lift and a martial 'crash and bash' type with Adolin.

Agree it would be a redundant thing to see, unless we are seeing fundamental changes in progress in the Roshar system. If that is the case it might make sense that more and more Radiants are manifesting differently. We seem to be seeing something new or different in Lift, Renarin, Dalinar, and maybe Venli at this point, so I wouldn't put it past Brandon to be foreshadowing something far bigger than we are expecting.

14 hours ago, Nellac said:

So, here's a thought that's way out of left field, but the more I think about it the better it sounds.

What if Adolin becomes a Dustbringer?

So, bringing this back to Adolin, I think we've already seen a glimpse that he has a slightly darker side. He perfectly embodied the ideals of a dustbringer when he killed Sadeas. He saw something evil, something that was a threat to a lot of people, and so he destroyed it.  I think this would be a very interesting turn for Adolin's story to take.

I don't think it would be too far-fetched a direction for him to take. Plus paired with the knowledge of his mother's death at his father's actions and the brutal engagements with the Fused, I could see him turning into a slight anti hero.

• Chaos locked this topic