Do you want adolin to become radiant?

Should adolin become radiant?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. ---

• Yes, I want him to bond a spren and have the powers of a radiant
    • No, I think he should remain unpowered.

I think we all would say we want Adolin to revive Maya. One thing to note is that we have seen him in action with blade and plate, with no connection to Maya, but what would he look like in a fight now with the slight connection he has (and we must imagine that it is stronger after the battle and in the year since even if there are no more benefits). Also, and I need your help on this. Have we seen any Radiant use dead plate. I know Kaladin said something about plate interfering with his lashings, but was that other people's plate. I'm curious what if anything changes. Can a surge binder, like Rinarin heal his dead plate the way he heals people. Does the dead plate become more resilient or powerful when used by a surge binder. Because what we may see with Adolin and Dalinar are two people who have blades that only they can use and refuse to be summoned by anyone else, while at the same time not being bound by oaths.  

9 minutes ago, Master Silver said:

And did the plate behave normally in that fight> If my memory serves me correctly it did. Have we seen Renarin "level up"? And in terms of all of the Kholin's becoming Radiants, didn't Syl say it is more likely to find multiples in a family. Maybe that was WoB

Can't recall if it's said in book but there is certainly a WoB on the subject

Questioner

Is being a Knight Radiant at all genetic? Because you have Jasnah, Dalinar, and Renarin in the same family.

Brandon Sanderson

It is not genetic, however… Um… Families or people close to one another are more likely. It’s not genetic. So for instance, if everyone were adopted it would still have the same prevalence.

Questioner

Okay, fascinating!

Questioner

[interruption hard to hear]

Brandon Sanderson

Well, there are a couple of reasons for that. One is which, attracting the attention of a spren can mean that other spren are paying attention to that area. There are also things in the Cosmere (the shared universe of them) where people are connected spiritually. Um… and that’s part of the magic as well. So… You are more likely to become a Radiant if you know a Radiant.

Boskone 54 (Feb. 17, 2017)

7 hours ago, FantasyFanitic said:

I DO NOT want Adolin to become a Radiant, solely for the reason that there are way to many Radiant's in the Kholin family.

I agree but for different reasons I can't make my ideas of Adolin and Edgedancers overlap.

As others have said, there are too many radiants on screen AND from the Kholin family at the moment. It is far more intriguing to see a non super powered hero cope with that particular circumstance, especially considering how incredible of a swordsman he already is. 

I would love to see him revive Maya (with help) but only be granted something like regeneration or the ability to hold stormlight to get the enhancement of speed, etc. OR it would be great for him to have to sacrifice something, perhaps asking the Nightwatcher to help him revive Maya!

All that said, it does seem that he is headed toward another previously unseen radiant version at some point. Essentially reviving Maya and gaining the bond/radiancy and providing a new and highly advantageous way to get more radiants in the fight. My hope is that this type of thing doesn't happen until the last half of book 5, when he swoops in to save the day with his unmatchable swordsmanship enhanced by new Nahel bonded super powers (to help Kaladin kill Moash preferably).

I’m team revive Maya and gain some semblance of powers, even if it’s a set of leaky powers. Adolin is so clearly an edgedancer by action, and his insecurities and potential brokenness are become clearer page by page. As we learn about how the ramifications of Sadeas’s death reveal and Evi’s death reveal on the Dalinar and Adolin relationship it will be interesting to see his character flesh out even more.

If he doesn't become a Radiant, he will become irrelevant as a combatant. It could make for an interesting character journey, one that Brandon has explored a little bit in OB with the whole "I'm useless now" sentiment that he had on the Shadesmar trip, but I think I would rather see him in the fight. Reviving Maya and swearing an oath at a key moment would make for a killer scene IMO. Something similar to what Kaladin did at the end of WoR, or what Dalinar did at the end of OB.

In my minds eye, I'm seeing a scene with Adolin and Shallan. Shallan is down and dying. No Stormlight around to save her. She asks Adolin to remember her. I imagine that he (along with just about everyone in their armies) has already sworn the first oath, but there isn't really anything that tells a person whether it has been accepted. Inside Adolin's head, he goes through all of the loved ones he has lost over the years (Mom, Sureblood and all of his soldiers at the tower). Adolin swears that he will remember her (internal monologue I will remember all of you), and Maya accepts it as his second oath (Edgedancer's second oath is about remembrance). Que dramatic Stormlight surge and Edgedancer healing. Curtains.

edit: Just wanted to add Elhokar to the list of lost loved ones. Also, I'll raise the stakes for Adolin and say that Shallan is pregnant when all this goes down.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

While I wouldn't mind seeing him remain unpowered, as it does present different challenges and viewpoints, I'd also like to see him struggle(in a good way) his way through the ranks. He's a good man with flaws, and that leaves room for good character arcs. Plus, he's in a unique position with his current sword. Maybe a partial revival? Not everyone has to be tier 5 radiants after all.

1 hour ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

If he doesn't become a Radiant, he will become irrelevant as a combatant. 

Stop. Full stop. Wrong, If non-Radiants were useless in Deselation level combat, then the Heralds wouldn't have trained them, and that's a fact. And he has shards, so he can fight better than an average soldier so the argument that he needs it or be side lined was flawed from it's conseption.

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

Stop. Full stop. Wrong, If non-Radiants were useless in Deselation level combat, then the Heralds wouldn't have trained them, and that's a fact. And he has shards, so he can fight better than an average soldier so the argument that he needs it or be side lined was flawed from it's conseption.

Sure, he would be great for fighting meaningless battles against other non powered individuals. Against enemies with access to Surges he would be killed. Look at the battle of Thaylen. If Kal didn't have access to Stormlight he would have died at several points during the battle. Adolin even recognizes how useless he is during the battle when he gives his Shardblade to someone else because they have plate on. Now you could argue that a Shardbearer is a big help even against a Thunderclast, except that it would have smashed and kill that guy if it hadn't been focused on an unkillable Renarin. Without Stormlight healing any combatant is automatically relegated to second class fighter. Kaladin went 2v1 against Shardbearers unarmed and won. If you aren't a Radiant, you don't really matter.

edit: I also want to add that even if Adolin starts swearing oaths, he is still way behind in terms of progression, so he would still be a background character.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

1 minute ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Sure, he would be great for fighting meaningless battles against other non powered individuals. 

He could kill fused.

Look at the battle of Thaylen. If Kal didn't have access to Stormlight he would have died at several points during the battle.

Yelig-nar is special case.

Adolin even recognizes how useless he is during the battle when he gives his Shardblade to someone else because they have plate on. 

Shardplate, man if only he had some....

2 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Without Stormlight healing any combatant is automatically relegated to second class fighter. 

Then why did the Heralds train them? They where willing to send barely trained men out in bronze.

3 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Kaladin went 2v1 against Shardbearers unarmed and won. If you aren't a Radiant, you don't really matter.

He didn't win so much as cause stalemate until Adolin showed up.

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

He could kill fused.

He could, until they inevitably killed him.

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Yelig-nar is special case.

Kal took several fatal blows from the fused before he fought the Unmade.

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Shardplate, man if only he had some....

You left out the rest of my statement in the part you quoted. One stomp from a Thunderclast is game over for a Shardbearer.

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Then why did the Heralds train them? They where willing to send barely trained men out in bronze.

For the same reason the Soviets sent conscripts into battle without guns. Desperation.

4 minutes ago, Frustration said:

He didn't win so much as cause stalemate until Adolin showed up.

This statement is intentionally ignoring the point of what I said.

He could, until they inevitably killed him.

Same with any soldier ever.

Kal took several fatal blows from the fused before he fought the Unmade.

Nothing that Yelig-nar didn't do would be overcome by shardplate

4 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

You left out the rest of my statement in the part you quoted. One stomp from a Thunderclast is game over for a Shardbearer.

If it can hit him, and we have seen hm dodge, and without plate.

5 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

For the same reason the Soviets sent conscripts into battle without guns. Desperation.

They work(Yes I'm aware of how cold that sounds, and do you honestly think Stalin cared if they had guns or not?)

6 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

This statement is intentionally ignoring the point of what I said.

That he could have yes I get it, but you ignore that he couldn't get through plate, and ran out of stormlight.

Honestly, I want Maya to be revived, but not bond with Adolin, they become friends, and shes his spren, but because she was "Dead" she lost her ability to make someone a radiant. I think that would be cool

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Same with any soldier ever.

Yes, and we have seen thousands of them die so far in the books. Unless you're implying that Adolin will die off page and in a completely irrelevant way, I fail to see how this is to the point.

5 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Nothing that Yelig-nar didn't do would be overcome by shardplate

I'm not sure what this means because of how it's worded, but I think you mean that the Fused could not overcome Shardplate? This is obviously wrong, as the regular Parshendi were able to overcome Shardplate. If instead you mean that Someone in Shardplate could kill the Fused, I would point to the ones that can regrow their carapace as weapons. Kal hit one of them several times with Syl and they just kept regrowing their limbs. They also hit Kal several times with blows that would kill a normal person, and damage the plate of a Shardbearer.

8 minutes ago, Frustration said:

If it can hit him, and we have seen hm dodge, and without plate.

Sure, if we want to give Adolin the superpower that he literally can't be hit, that works out just fine.

10 minutes ago, Frustration said:

They work(Yes I'm aware of how cold that sounds, and do you honestly think Stalin cared if they had guns or not?)

I don't know what you are implying here. You asked why the Heralds used suicide soldiers, I gave a real world example of why. I think Stalin probably cared a lot. Not because the conscripts died, but because they were very ineffective. I'm sure he would much rather have had fully armed soldiers to repel the invaders.

12 minutes ago, Frustration said:

That he could have yes I get it, but you ignore that he couldn't get through plate, and ran out of stormlight.

He was also a first oath Radiant without a Blade. If he had Syl, he could have beaten all four by himself. Once he gets plate it would be even more onesided. I would be surprised if any number of non-Radiant Shardbearers could kill him.

I also want to say that I don't want to derail the thread any further, so I will try not to respond to any further posts. As my last statement I will just say that the only way a non Radiant can stay relevant in combat going forward is if they have Batman's superpower. That is to say, they are to important to the plot to die.

3 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

If he doesn't become a Radiant, he will become irrelevant as a combatant. It could make for an interesting character journey, one that Brandon has explored a little bit in OB with the whole "I'm useless now" sentiment that he had on the Shadesmar trip, but I think I would rather see him in the fight. Reviving Maya and swearing an oath at a key moment would make for a killer scene IMO. Something similar to what Kaladin did at the end of WoR, or what Dalinar did at the end of OB.

In my minds eye, I'm seeing a scene with Adolin and Shallan. Shallan is down and dying. No Stormlight around to save her. She asks Adolin to remember her. I imagine that he (along with just about everyone in their armies) has already sworn the first oath, but there isn't really anything that tells a person whether it has been accepted. Inside Adolin's head, he goes through all of the loved ones he has lost over the years (Mom, Sureblood and all of his soldiers at the tower). Adolin swears that he will remember her (internal monologue I will remember all of you), and Maya accepts it as his second oath (Edgedancer's second oath is about remembrance). Que dramatic Stormlight surge and Edgedancer healing. Curtains.

edit: Just wanted to add Elhokar to the list of lost loved ones. Also, I'll raise the stakes for Adolin and say that Shallan is pregnant when all this goes down.

okay okay okay. 

I see what you're saying about him becoming irrelevant, but I don't think good ol' Sanderson would do that. He's such a brilliant author I am fully confident that he would be able to keep Adolin as an important character without being a radiant. 

Honestly I have no idea whats going to happen with Adolin, but whatever it is i'm sure it will be amazing. Personally I hope he becomes a partial radiant, and that Maya either cant form a normal bond anymore, or she doesn't trust anyone enough to do so.

26 minutes ago, Hentient said:

Honestly, I want Maya to be revived, but not bond with Adolin, they become friends, and shes his spren, but because she was "Dead" she lost her ability to make someone a radiant. I think that would be cool

How about if Maya gets revived, but her spirit is damaged keeping her from being able to give powers, so she bonds HIM to accomplish the Nahel bond? Now that would be a twist

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

How about if Maya gets revived, but her spirit is damaged keeping her from being able to give powers, so she bonds HIM to accomplish the Nahel bond? Now that would be a twist

Wait actually that would be so cool. I approve.