Do you want adolin to become radiant?

Should adolin become radiant?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. ---

• Yes, I want him to bond a spren and have the powers of a radiant
    • No, I think he should remain unpowered.

I think he won't be for character development. 

In OB he talks about being unimportant and how he is not used to it.

And when Shallan made a Windrunner Adolin in the battle of Thaylen Field, he looks away, and says, "I can't take that right now."

He might eventually be a squire, as he is surrounded by radiants everyday, but I don't he will anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Dreamer said:

#TeamNotEveryoneNeedsSuperpowers!

#AwesomeUnpowered

1 hour ago, Invocation said:

I want him to be Radiant-adjacent, with a unique situation. We need more cool stuff stuff happening with unique spren bonds.

Put me in that camp too. Incidentally, this option should be added to the poll, because it's not the same as "no, adolin should stay as he is"

I'd rather see someone managing to stay useful despite their lack of superpowers. It's a minor beef I have with the worldbuilding: the regenerative powers of stormlight are too strong, making invested people almost unkillable for muggles. I prefer muggles to stay relevant.

2 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

It's a minor beef I have with the worldbuilding: the regenerative powers of stormlight are too strong, making invested people almost unkillable for muggles.

That only holds up until they figure out gunpowder or fabrial guns. At that point the advantage of Plate is on track to be nearly null anyway, bringing Radiants and Shardbearers alike down to manageable levels. 

4 minutes ago, Invocation said:

That only holds up until they figure out gunpowder or fabrial guns. At that point the advantage of Plate is on track to be nearly null anyway, bringing Radiants and Shardbearers alike down to manageable levels. 

The KR can still regenerate, guns aren't that much of an advantage, especially if the Radiant has one too.

Just now, Nameless said:

The KR can still regenerate, guns aren't that much of an advantage, especially if the Radiant has one too.

They can regenerate if you give them the chance, but it's still an advantage as to Stormlight draining. Significant wounds take significant Light to repair, and their supply isn't infinite.

Just now, Invocation said:

They can regenerate if you give them the chance, but it's still an advantage as to Stormlight draining. Significant wounds take significant Light to repair, and their supply isn't infinite.

Stormlight's a lot easier to get than

(Mistborn era 2)

Spoiler

gold feruchemy. Wayne still has a huge advantage against normal gunmen, and he doesn't even use guns.

Just now, Nameless said:

Stormlight's a lot easier to get than

(Mistborn era 2)

Reveal hidden contents

gold feruchemy. Wayne still has a huge advantage against normal gunmen, and he doesn't even use guns.

It's a different kind of difficult to get to. Not sure anyone other than Windrunners could reliably stay in a highstorm long enough to recharge themselves instead of just spheres, and the storms are on a calculable timeframe (not to mention that the spheres represent a finite resource that can be stolen, since they can't be Soulcast). If you can separate the spheres from the Radiant and/or the Radiant from the Honor Bondsmith, you pump them full of high-caliber lead until they run out of Light to heal and then hit them until they're down again. Guerrilla warfare in the age of guns is the ideal anti-Radiant strategy. 

Unfortunately, we need to cut this short because it's off topic. You're welcome to PM me and we can keep talking about this!

On 4/3/2020 at 11:58 AM, Invocation said:

I want him to be Radiant-adjacent, with a unique situation. We need more cool stuff stuff happening with unique spren bonds.

This is the camp I fall into. I don’t necessarily care where Brandon takes it, I just want Adolin to be unique.

13 minutes ago, Retrac said:

Has anyone ever thought that maybe he will end up being a world hopper?

That's kind of what I'm hoping for with the unique bond thing. My small idea was that Adolin's dedication and revival of Maya would center her Connection to him instead of to the Rosharan system, allowing her to follow him off-world where other spren can't.

10 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Opens mouth

Remembers Batman

Shuts mouth

Partly that, yes.  I mean, I like Batman, about as much as I like any comic character.  But let's not pretend he's all that normal.  Having your own personal megacorporation at your beck and call is, I would suggest, its own superpower.

It's a similar thing with Adolin...not to quite the same degree, but he's still one of a bare handful of people privileged enough to have had a chance to end up a Shardbearer and to have had access to the level of training he got to become as good a fighter as he is.

As for whether Adolin will become Radiant...I don't know.  I think he will as a result of awakening Maya, but there's always room for something weird to happen.  Dalinar's I AM UNITY stunt suggests that a lot of things probably aren't going to work the same as they used to in the old Desolations.

Edited by clockworkspider