Theory about Shardplate

4 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

I don't care for this theory. That would take a lot of stormlight

That seems awfully dismissive. We know that solid investiture is metallic [Mistborn]

Spoiler

Lerasium and Atium, the god metals, are solidified investiture of Preservation and Ruin, respectively

so why couldn't shardplate be Stormlight condensed down to solid form like that? The spren can already become solid investiture (shardblade) even without Stormlight (though they are MADE of investiture, so... kinda circumvents that), so enough pure Stormlight should be able to be woven into solid, metallic investiture too, right?

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

That seems awfully dismissive. We know that solid investiture is metallic [Mistborn]

Hide contents

Lerasium and Atium, the god metals, are solidified investiture of Preservation and Ruin, respectively

so why couldn't shardplate be Stormlight condensed down to solid form like that? The spren can already become solid investiture (shardblade) even without Stormlight (though they are MADE of investiture, so... kinda circumvents that), so enough pure Stormlight should be able to be woven into solid, metallic investiture too, right?

I didnt indicate that it was impossible. I just dont like it. 

That would take a ridiculous amount of stormlight to pull off and the characters would be able to summon their fuel source anytime? Sounds boring. 

1 hour ago, Nymeros said:

That would take a ridiculous amount of stormlight to pull off and the characters would be able to summon their fuel source anytime? Sounds boring. 

We already know via Shallan that there are ways to reduce stormlight usage (the whole sphere thing for her illusions). I also never said that they'd be able to summon their fuel source anytime. I just said that it happened once with Dalinar (Oathbringer climax), and that the Stormfather said that Stormlight comes from a place where Physical, Cognitive, and Spirital realms connect AKA...

Spoiler

A Perpendicularity!

1 hour ago, Nymeros said:

Each time Kaladin has sworn an ideal, he has gotten a burst of stormlight. Maybe with the 4th ideal, that burst of stormlight will be transformed into plate which he can dissolve and resummon without the use of any additional stormlight. As in, once the plate is created, the radiant does not have to ever make it again.

47 minutes ago, SanderFan69 said:

Each time Kaladin has sworn an ideal, he has gotten a burst of stormlight. Maybe with the 4th ideal, that burst of stormlight will be transformed into plate which he can dissolve and resummon without the use of any additional stormlight. As in, once the plate is created, the radiant does not have to ever make it again.

Conversely, neither Shallan nor Lift have gotten immense bursts of Stormlight like Kaladin has. We actually do have WoB that Kaladin's bursts of power are present more because of the closeness of his Order to that of the Bondsmiths.

31 minutes ago, SanderFan69 said:

But not every order gets that really.  Only the Bondsmiths and Windrunners.

Questioner

What's with Kaladin being special with his oaths that he explodes with power every time he says it?

Brandon Sanderson

That is a function of Windrunners being very close to Bondsmiths, which has certain effects.

Questioner

Would other Windrunners also do that, as well?

Brandon Sanderson

Yep.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

On 4/4/2020 at 6:26 PM, XeGnome said:

It is strange, in my mind, that every radiant who achieved plate would have a “swarm” of Lesser spren following them around all the time (seen or unseen) until summoned during battle.  ( imagine the mass of lesser spren at Uruthiru cognitive realm with hundreds of radiant living there ).  There has to be some other bond that combines them together to the spirit web of the radiant.  

This is actually what I think is the most likely case. I think that the plate is a combination of lesser spren and the radiants investiture which is what gives it the "bond" that lets radiants summon their plate. I explain it most fully in the linked thread.

• Chaos locked this topic