Callor, Child of the Light and personal retainer to the Lord Captain Commander, Pedron Niall, stepped into the open plain. Or, at least, what was now an open plain. What the scene of carnage around him had been before was all but impossible to determine. 

It was those Aes Sedai witches, he knew, and not all female ones too; the eyewitness reports of the scouts which had been sent back did not deny the presence of male channelers, even under the shadow of the Hand of the Light. A truly frightening prospect, yet one he would have to stomach. The Children would need to redouble their vigilance against the witches and other Darkfriends, if the world had any chance of surviving these troubling times. Of course, few rulers saw the wisdom of this course of action, and those who did—mostly in Amadicia and Arad Doman—did so in fear of Niall’s armies instead of true belief. True belief would come later, he presumed, when they realised the vast scope of the threats against them. 

But for now, Callor was in the dark about what the future or even the past held. And judging from the expressions of the men and women who were slowly ringing him, they did not either. But such explanation as could be given, would. 

Welcome to MR41: Lord of Chaos! The rules should be fairly simple to explain, as it’s blackout, so just a few basic guidelines:

- This MR runs on a single 48-hour cycle. Most players have one action a turn.

- The setting is Wheel of Time. Most players will be channelers. The specific site is the nation of Amadicia in a location which was recently utterly destroyed by unknown forces. 

- A few other rules will be released C1, including those guiding PM usage. 

- The game needs exactly 14 players to run, and is anonymous. You may sign up either in this thread, or via a PM to myself and my co-GM @StrikerEZ entitled “MR41 Signup Request: [Your Name Here].” Please refer to the anonymous account rules, which govern your usage of the accounts and are replicated below for your reference. (I’m going to be a bit more lax about Rule #3, but the others remain in full force.) Given the restricted player counts, there will be a strictly enforced two-cycle inactivity filter. If you sign up, please participate. :) 

Anonymous Accounts

There are a number of rules associated with the use of an Anonymous Account. Please follow them carefully. Given the potential for abuse of Anonymous Accounts, any rule breaking using the accounts will be dealt with harshly.

1) Do not change the password of the anonymous account you are issued. The IM and the GMs will have access to all anonymous accounts for the duration of the game being played.
2) Do not use the anonymous accounts to PM any non-anonymous account, other than the accounts of the GMs or the IM. Please do not use your normal accounts to PM anonymous accounts.
3) Do not tell any other player or individual associated with SE, whether you are playing or not playing the Anonymous Game. Player identities will be revealed after the game, not on the death of their avatar. Players must not reveal their own identity after their death, until the end of the game, including in the dead/spec doc. Part of the attraction of anonymous games is keeping identities obscured, and we'd like to eliminate any chance of information becoming known that undermines the integrity of the anonymity.
4) Do not change anything cosmetic about the accounts, including their member title, username, signature, and avatar.
5) Anonymous accounts have been restricted from posting outside the Roleplaying subforum, but must not be used to post in any thread other than the thread of the game they are currently being used in.

If you would rather not play, you are welcome to publicly or privately request a spec doc. :) 

Signups will close in a week’s time on Thursday 9 April at 9 PM EDT. If we get enough players before this, the game will still start on schedule, but signups will remain open so anyone who still wants to play can join as a pinch-hitter.

Good luck! I will keep a running count of the number of players signed up here: 14 (updated 07:17 Tuesday 7 April)

Quicklinks: 

Edited by Elandera

Walin jumped back into the Shard, eager to prove his wits had not dimmed with the passage of time. This time, he would join a game, and he would be active. However, there was a problem. He would probably be leaving, once again, within a month's time. Would it be worth the risk to join a Medium Range game and play for only 3 weeks? He thought rather deeply fleetingly about it. After a few days, he read the rules again, as well as the rules of the game that was to be played. However, to his astonishment, he realized that his waiting had made the decision for him.

Nonetheless, analysis can be done from the outside. So he signed up for a link to the spec doc, where he would try to contribute to jokes, theories, and friendship before he would leave for yet another hiatus.

(May I have a spec doc link please?)

3 hours ago, Walin said:

Walin jumped back into the Shard, eager to prove his wits had not dimmed with the passage of time. This time, he would join a game, and he would be active. However, there was a problem. He would probably be leaving, once again, within a month's time. Would it be worth the risk to join a Medium Range game and play for only 3 weeks? He thought rather deeply fleetingly about it. After a few days, he read the rules again, as well as the rules of the game that was to be played. However, to his astonishment, he realized that his waiting had made the decision for him.

Nonetheless, analysis can be done from the outside. So he signed up for a link to the spec doc, where he would try to contribute to jokes, theories, and friendship before he would leave for yet another hiatus.

(May I have a spec doc link please?)

Will do! Welcome back :) 

To those playing, expect your PMs in about an hour. I anticipate minor issues with the anonymous accounts as usual, but it shouldn’t be too bad if you stick with me. Let me know what comes up and I’ll try to get everything as fixed as possible :P 

There’s no writeup because you guys have no clue what’s going on. You’re currently standing in a field with poor Callor deciding what to do with each other. :P 

Cycle 1 has begun! It will end in about 47.5 hours on Sunday 12 April at 9 PM EDT. 

The following rules are now public:

- If more than three players individually use Balefire weaves three or more times, the Pattern unravels and everybody loses. 

- A lynch does exist. What it does remains to be seen. :P 

- Any player may, at any time, use their action to do one of the following: double their vote, create a one-on-one PM, compliment their GM. 

- PMs cannot be created except by the above effect. 

Good luck! 

Player List: 

1. Amber Vulture

2. Amethyst Scorpion

3. Azure Mouse

4. Charcoal Hyena

5. Chartreuse Penguin

6. Coral Swan

7. Cream Tuatara

8. Emerald Falcon

9. Fuchsia Ostrich

10. Indigo Weasel

11. Ivory Dragonfly

12. Magenta Albatross

13. Mauve Crocodile 

14. Melon Dingo

Well then. I have no idea what is going on.

I'd give it a 51/49 chance that the lynch doesn't at least outright kill someone. However, I'm not going to vote on myself just in case something bad happens.

Idk what else to talk about really so... I guess I'll vote on Charcoal Hyena

(ninja'd, hi Mouse!)

Edit: @Charcoal Hyena

Edited by Indigo Weasel

2 minutes ago, Indigo Weasel said:

hi Mouse

Hello. I guess I'll start some RP.

--

Azure didn't know what they thought about the field that everyone had started to gather in. 'hi, mouse', Azure heard. They glanced over to see who had spoken, noting the weasel. Oh, hello there Indigo, how do you do?

A lynch will do something at least. It probably has some chance of killing the target. It's possible that balefire could be used to prevent us from learning the roles of dead players, but the auto-lose condition likely means that nobody will be throwing balefire around randomly.

Just now, Amber Vulture said:

It's possible that balefire could be used to prevent us from learning the roles of dead players, but the auto-lose condition likely means that nobody will be throwing balefire around randomly.

Interesting thoughts on balefire. I imagine you have more information than we have. The balefire limit is a bit scary though. The whole world could just vanish and we'd be none the wiser.

2 minutes ago, Azure Mouse said:

In story, balefire makes it so that they never existed if I'm right. Possibly there's ways to not permanently kill players? Perhaps they can come back to life, or they just die for a turn?

If balefire is anything like the books, could death be reversed through balefire?

I am of the opinion that we lynch, if only to discover what it does. The mystical magical RNG has chosen... Emerald Falcon! @Emerald Falcon, you have been chosen by the Gods of Luck and Chance. Your defence?

So Balefire. Very dangerous, though I'm certain it's good enough that the gains outweigh the risks. If we all die because of it, I trust the write-up will be entertaining, at worst. I also wish to hypothesize about why the almighty Game Masters wished for 14 and only 14 players. Are there unique roles? Are there individual win-cons? Is 14 an important number in Wheel of Time and I'm just ignorant as I haven't read it? 

Just now, Azure Mouse said:

Or maybe balefire can't be reversed, but other types of death are?

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe lynch votes aren't final? If someone is balefired later could someone end up coming back to life and another person die? 

1 minute ago, Mauve Crocodile said:

Is 14 an important number in Wheel of Time and I'm just ignorant as I haven't read it?

13 is an important number. I believe it has something to do with the Dark One. 14 is the total number of books but if I remember right he wanted it to be 13

2 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

6E51DFEB-FC7D-4C28-BA1D-045834747870.jpeg

Well, that's great. Should we vote on one person collectively in case there's a vote minimum. It just occurred to me that there might be a rule that if a certain percent of Lynch votes are placed on one player, then we get more information.

27 minutes ago, Fuchsia Ostrich said:

Interesting thoughts on balefire. I imagine you have more information than we have. The balefire limit is a bit scary though. The whole world could just vanish and we'd be none the wiser.

If balefire can be used to make a player no longer exist, we probably wouldn't learn that player's role. If balefire can be used to bring people back to life, we probably wouldn't learn their role upon their initial death to avoid potential confirmed good/evil players.

12 minutes ago, Mauve Crocodile said:

I also wish to hypothesize about why the almighty Game Masters wished for 14 and only 14 players. Are there unique roles? Are there individual win-cons? Is 14 an important number in Wheel of Time and I'm just ignorant as I haven't read it? 

There are 14 books in the wheel of time series, which may have been an inspiration. Fifth's last wheel of time game had unique roles in it, and the fact that this is a blackout game makes it even easier to put in unique roles without giving players an easy way to prove those roles. 

1 minute ago, Amber Vulture said:

If balefire can be used to make a player no longer exist, we probably wouldn't learn that player's role. If balefire can be used to bring people back to life, we probably wouldn't learn their role upon their initial death to avoid potential confirmed good/evil players.

I guess this is another PAFO moment. A lynch will be necessary so we can use the mechanic right later on in the game.

3 minutes ago, Azure Mouse said:

Was balefire used in the books to bring someone back to life?

My knowledge is a little rusty but I remember it doing similar things. In the Age of Legends entire cities would be wiped out and brought back due to balefire

Edited by Fuchsia Ostrich

1 hour ago, Azure Mouse said:

I think that a lynch will be the most helpful, especially in a blackout game because it will 1) Probably tell us what a lynch does and 2)Give us information on possible roles. I'm going to poke Melon Dingo for now. @Melon Dingo

Hi! I'm here!

I'll poke @Coral Swan! Coral Swan.

@Fifth Scholar / @StrikerEZ if a faction or player completes their win condition, does the game end? If not, then does the Balefire "everyone loses" thing apply to players who have already completed their win condition?