Callsign Radiant

Main character of Rythm of War

99 posts in this topic

WoB on air transport by Windrunners

The wording looks suspicious to me.

the person who's a Bondsmith is being flown about by Windrunners

OK, this is quite convoluted. Are we getting a new Bondsmith?

55 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

WoB on air transport by Windrunners

The wording looks suspicious to me.

OK, this is quite convoluted. Are we getting a new Bondsmith?

If you look at the full text of that WoB, it’s pretty clear that Brandon is avoiding spoilers by not naming the characters. 

Questioner

I also read that you went to visit the United Arab Emirates, and you wrote the Alloy of Law while you were on the plane.

Brandon Sanderson

I didn't write the whole book.

Questioner

What did you write on the way here?

Brandon Sanderson

I wrote Stormlight Four on the way here. Let's see if I can give you a non-spoiler version of the scene, so you can know when you get there. In the scene, the person who's a Bondsmith is being flown about by Windrunners who are not the Windrunner who is the main character. So when you get to a scene that this character's being flown about by Windrunners and moving to a different part of the world, you will know that scene was written on the flight here.

ICon 2019 (Oct. 15, 2019)

Teft and Dalinar. Thats a pairing.

3 hours ago, Scion of the Mists said:

If you look at the full text of that WoB, it’s pretty clear that Brandon is avoiding spoilers by not naming the characters. 

In 2019? What would he he spoil if he just said Dalinar? Or 'a Bondsmith' ? This has merit by not naming the Windrunner. But the Bondsmith? By the end of Oathbringer there is only one, whose identity is well known.

27 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

In 2019? What would he he spoil if he just said Dalinar? Or 'a Bondsmith' ? This has merit by not naming the Windrunner. But the Bondsmith? By the end of Oathbringer there is only one, whose identity is well known.

He would spoil Oathbringer. If you look at where specifically that WoB came from, Brandon was giving an introductory address to an entire convention. https://wob.coppermind.net/source/audio/450/edit/. It's standard practice, for large group Q&A sessions like this, for questions and answers to be kept "spoiler-free," where they won't ruin plot points for listeners who haven't read all of Brandon's books. If Brandon had said "I wrote a scene with Bridge Four flying Dalinar around the world," that doesn't ruin anything for readers who haven't gotten to Oathbringer yet, but those who are up to speed on Stormlight have enough clues to know what to look for.

42 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

If Brandon had said "I wrote a scene with Bridge Four flying Dalinar around the world," that doesn't ruin anything for readers who haven't gotten to Oathbringer yet, but those who are up to speed on Stormlight have enough clues to know what to look for.

Great point. Someone could just be a big fan of Wheel of Time or Mistborn at these signings. Much like I was back in the day

Hoping for Moash as the third lead.

21 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

He didn't even name Kaladin - he said "the Windrunner who is the main character."  Kaladin's revealed to be a Windrunner in book 1.  

So if we assume Navani is the main character, do we think she will also be a Willshaper? It is supposed to be their book and since the Willshapers were the most varied of the orders I think it could be cool if we see two very different Willshapers climbing the oaths in distinct ways. There could be some interesting takes on the theme of exploration and discovery, how both of them want to discover new things but go about it in different ways. 

2 hours ago, Ciridae said:

So if we assume Navani is the main character, do we think she will also be a Willshaper? It is supposed to be their book and since the Willshapers were the most varied of the orders I think it could be cool if we see two very different Willshapers climbing the oaths in distinct ways. There could be some interesting takes on the theme of exploration and discovery, how both of them want to discover new things but go about it in different ways. 

And then of course there are the Eshonai flashbacks showing a very obvious willshaper if that makes sense. that could be an interesting comparison. How much of a natural willshaper would you say Venli is?

9 hours ago, Callsign Radiant said:

How much of a natural willshaper would you say Venli is?

She might not be as archetypical as Eshonai was, but I think she is still driven by a lot of curiosity. In the beginning it’s mostly wrapped up in her ambitions, but there’s still the fascination with the unknown, the new, the lost and forgotten. I think with Venli it’s hard to say what part of that is her ambition and lust for power and what is her natural curiosity. Her choice to work with Ulim, for example, could be seen as a careless risk she takes, putting her entire people and way of life in danger to advance her own position. On the other hand, at the time, she may have been convinced by Ulim to  see it as breaking from pointless tradition and being brave enough to think outside the box and try something new. But at that point in her character arc I think ambition and curiosity are hard to separate. 
She is a risktaker though, secretly working with Ulim, and later harboring Timbre among the fused. 

3 hours ago, Ciridae said:

She might not be as archetypical as Eshonai was, but I think she is still driven by a lot of curiosity. In the beginning it’s mostly wrapped up in her ambitions, but there’s still the fascination with the unknown, the new, the lost and forgotten. I think with Venli it’s hard to say what part of that is her ambition and lust for power and what is her natural curiosity. Her choice to work with Ulim, for example, could be seen as a careless risk she takes, putting her entire people and way of life in danger to advance her own position. On the other hand, at the time, she may have been convinced by Ulim to  see it as breaking from pointless tradition and being brave enough to think outside the box and try something new. But at that point in her character arc I think ambition and curiosity are hard to separate. 
She is a risktaker though, secretly working with Ulim, and later harboring Timbre among the fused. 

Ok fair enough, I can see that. Maybe seeing her flashbacks, especially compared to Eshonai in her flashbacks, will clarify this a bit. Either way it should be an interesting dynamic with Eshonai, Venli, and Navani if she does turn out to be a willshaper.

Just some extra evidence that it is Navani:

Questioner

What’s the status of the second book of the Stormlight Archive?

Brandon Sanderson

I will be going right into that as soon as I finish A Memory of Light. I have it outlined, I have decided whose book it will be, each of the Stormlight books will have a focal character who gets flashbacks. It’s going to be Shallan’s book. So the first major cycle of the Stormlight Archive is looking like it’s going to be Kaladin, Shallan, Szeth, Navani, and Dalinar as the five book arc. And if you haven’t heard, I’m doing it in two 5-book arcs, so the first 5 books should wrap a lot of things up and whatnot. And I might even stop then and do like an Elantris sequel and things like that, and then start the second 5-book arc. So I will do that immediately, I’m actually planning to do that and have it out, it probably won’t be next year, it’ll probably be the following spring, but it’s a little over a year away. I’ve got it all outlined, so it should be...I’ve done a lot of work on it, I just haven’t written it.

Alloy of Law Los Angeles signing (Nov. 10, 2011)

32 minutes ago, ChickenLiberty said:

Just some extra evidence that it is Navani:

That's interesting. I'm sure I remember Brandon saying early on that Navani was going to be one of the flashback characters, but knowing that book 4 in particular was going to be her book does indicate that she was going to be relevant to the present plot. Of course a lot of things have changed since then and the original plot for this book could have changed a lot, but it's definitely possible that Brandon ended up using the same present plot but thought that we didn't need/shdn't have Navani's flashbacks to go with it.

I don’t know what the main consensus on the topic is, since I have been away as of late, but my money is on Moash. He is the only one that makes sense (and then I have discounted the back five as well). 

7 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I don’t know what the main consensus on the topic is, since I have been away as of late, but my money is on Moash. He is the only one that makes sense (and then I have discounted the back five as well). 

Actually most evidence seems to point to Navani. I don't think Moash would be the main character. He will likely have pov chapters considering the singer focus of the book and his actions in OB, but I'd be surprised if he turned out to be the main character. Also I'm hoping it's not him. I haven't been a fan of his chapters in the past. So maybe I'm biased, I do understand the reasoning for Moash being included more in this book, but so far is really does seem to be quite a bit of evidence for Navani.

On 2020-04-11 at 4:04 PM, Callsign Radiant said:

Actually most evidence seems to point to Navani. I don't think Moash would be the main character. He will likely have pov chapters considering the singer focus of the book and his actions in OB, but I'd be surprised if he turned out to be the main character. Also I'm hoping it's not him. I haven't been a fan of his chapters in the past. So maybe I'm biased, I do understand the reasoning for Moash being included more in this book, but so far is really does seem to be quite a bit of evidence for Navani.

I guess those are based off the quote where Brandon talks about writing a lot of Navani recently? My main problem with it is that I have a hard time seeing the main plot with most page-time being Urithiru, and that is probably where Navani will be located. She isnt the kind of person who has to (or should) move around a ton. Moash meanwhile, just learned to fly, and will be involved in the thick of the war.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I guess those are based off the quote where Brandon talks about writing a lot of Navani recently? My main problem with it is that I have a hard time seeing the main plot with most page-time being Urithiru, and that is probably where Navani will be located. She isnt the kind of person who has to (or should) move around a ton. Moash meanwhile, just learned to fly, and will be involved in the thick of the war.

There's more evidence than just that.

Questioner

In the characters of Stormlight, who's the most enjoyable to write about?

Brandon Sanderson

I like them all for different reasons. I really have been enjoying writing Navani lately, so she's been the most enjoyable. But it changes.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Yes, the fact that she is referred to as his favorite to write, and the main character was also referred to as his favorite to write is significant, but if that was all we had, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that his preference just changed. However, this was in late November, and look at this portion of the Reddit update from early November:

Brandon Sanderson

Right now, Parts One and Two of the book are done as well. Parts Three-Five have been finished for everything but the main, core viewpoint cluster. (So, if you’ve been following along, that means viewpoint clusters two and three are finished.) I’ve also done some work on the interludes, getting a nice chunk of those done, most notably the "through line" viewpoint for the Interludes.

Remaining to do are a handful of interludes and the core story for the second half of the book. Together, that should be around 100k words, though it’s possible I’ll go longer.

Stormlight Book Four Updates (Nov. 9, 2019)

That only leaves Group 1 or a lesser interlude that he could have been writing in late November. The fact that he says he's been enjoying writing Navani indicates that she had more than just a single viewpoint that he was writing around that time, which means that she should be one of the 3 major PoVs in Group 1, and these 3 PoV characters are the ones that Brandon said RoW would mostly be about. The only way that leaves for her to not be the main character is if it is one of the other two viewpoints in that group. Most people tend to agree that Kaladin is one of these 3, and there is a good amount of evidence that Venli is also one of those, as I explain in another thread:

Venli 

• Is a major PoV in Group 1 or is in Group 2, as she has a lot of viewpoints [18]
  • Is more likely to be in Group 1, as her flashbacks start in Part 3, and Group 2 is not in Part 3 or 5 [1]
  • Her group should be in Alethkar [18]

If all of that isn't enough, Navani was also originally planned to be the book 4 flashback character, which is a weaker piece of evidence, but still supports this conclusion.

Questioner

What’s the status of the second book of the Stormlight Archive?

Brandon Sanderson

I will be going right into that as soon as I finish A Memory of Light. I have it outlined, I have decided whose book it will be, each of the Stormlight books will have a focal character who gets flashbacks. It’s going to be Shallan’s book. So the first major cycle of the Stormlight Archive is looking like it’s going to be Kaladin, Shallan, Szeth, Navani, and Dalinar as the five book arc. And if you haven’t heard, I’m doing it in two 5-book arcs, so the first 5 books should wrap a lot of things up and whatnot. And I might even stop then and do like an Elantris sequel and things like that, and then start the second 5-book arc. So I will do that immediately, I’m actually planning to do that and have it out, it probably won’t be next year, it’ll probably be the following spring, but it’s a little over a year away. I’ve got it all outlined, so it should be...I’ve done a lot of work on it, I just haven’t written it.

Alloy of Law Los Angeles signing (Nov. 10, 2011)

Edited by ChickenLiberty

13 minutes ago, ChickenLiberty said:

There's more evidence than just that.

Yes, the fact that she is referred to as his favorite to write, and the main character was also referred to as his favorite to write is significant, but if that was all we had, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that his preference just changed. However, this was in late November, and look at this portion of the Reddit update from early November:

That only leaves Group 1 or a lesser interlude that he could have been writing in late November. The fact that he says he's been enjoying writing Navani indicates that she had more than just a single viewpoint that he was writing around that time, which means that she should be one of the 3 major PoVs in Group 1, and these 3 PoV characters are the ones that Brandon said RoW would mostly be about. The only way that leaves for her to not be the main character is if it is one of the other two viewpoints in that group. Most people tend to agree that Kaladin is one of these 3, and there is a good amount off evidence that Venli is also one of those, as I explain in another thread:

If all of that isn't enough, Navani was also originally planned to be the book 4 flashback character, which is a weaker piece of evidence, but still supports this conclusion.

Fair enough, that is some good evidence. However, he says that he has been enjoying writing Navani ”lately”. That doesn’t mean that she is who he is writing currently. He also doesnt specify wether he has been writing her as a POV or not (though I agree that POV is more likely). Furthermore, I just dont see how Kaladin, Navani and Venli could logically have an arc together. 

I will add that I also am a bit biased against the idea, since I feel rather meh about her character. I dont dislike her, but I just dont think that she is very interesting.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I will add that I also am a bit biased against the idea, since I feel rather meh about her character. I dont dislike her, but I just dont think that she is very interesting.

Used well we could have a very interesting Navani vs Venli parallel examining the emotions and beliefs that motivate both of them.  Also you could do some great dramatic irony with one of them knowing something that the other one really wants to.

Edited by Karger

1 hour ago, Toaster Retribution said:

There's much more to it than just that. As @ChickenLiberty has demonstrated, we didn't come to this conclusion after so many posts in the thread just based on one wob. I believe we did discuss the likelyhood of Navani leaving Urithiru earlier in the thread. I also thought that she would probably stay in Urithiru and that it would be strange for her to be the main focus of the book, but then I was reminded that the summary mentions an arms race and technology which seems like something Navani would help with. While that doesn't in itself mean that she should leave Urithiru, I think with all the evidence it wouldn't make sense to dismiss her as the main character just because of that.

I do think that Moash will probably be a pov character because of his involvement in the war and the fact that he's a good contrast to other characters. I could be wrong about this but I feel like because he's meant to contrast with other characters (mainly Kaladin, Dalinar and Venli but maybe others) he wouldn't make a good main character. In the past at least the main character has had a positive arc where they progress in some way despite their struggles. Moash on the other hand has so far done the complete opposite, and if he is going to continue to be a foil then he will likely continue on the same path. While I admit it doesn't rule him out, I think it would be a strange departure from the usually inspiring and moving main character arcs that we've seen in Stormlight.

@ChickenLiberty thanks for summarising all the evidence.

I agree that there is big evidence that points to Navani, as @ChickenLiberty showed. But I don't think researching fabrials or building new weapons for the war will make her the main character.

In all previous books, the main character goes through a major personal arc, at this point I just don't see Navani going through a arc like Dalinar did in OB or Kaladin in WoK.

My main candidates are Rlain and Adolin.

Rlain because this book is supposed to be the singers book and instead of just following Venli we can follow both of them.

Adolin because at the end of OB, he admits killing Sadeas and refuses to be king a decision that goes against his father which he idolizes and was trying to emulate. Finding out that Dalinar was not the man he thought will be a big shock. All this while being married to Shallan and having to fight a war.

I know that this book is the Willshaper book and large part of the community thinks Adolin will be a Edgedancer, i personally don't agree with the theory. 

40 minutes ago, Lccaseiro58 said:

I agree that there is big evidence that points to Navani, as @ChickenLiberty showed. But I don't think researching fabrials or building new weapons for the war will make her the main character.

In all previous books, the main character goes through a major personal arc, at this point I just don't see Navani going through a arc like Dalinar did in OB or Kaladin in WoK.

My main candidates are Rlain and Adolin.

Rlain because this book is supposed to be the singers book and instead of just following Venli we can follow both of them.

Adolin because at the end of OB, he admits killing Sadeas and refuses to be king a decision that goes against his father which he idolizes and was trying to emulate. Finding out that Dalinar was not the man he thought will be a big shock. All this while being married to Shallan and having to fight a war.

I know that this book is the Willshaper book and large part of the community thinks Adolin will be a Edgedancer, i personally don't agree with the theory. 

That's an interesting point. She will likely have some kind of arc and progress in some way, both with respect to her research and hopefully also personally. But I wonder if we'll get the same depth without any flashbacks from the main character. Also I agree that there seems to be more of a natural lead into a personal arc from Adolin from the end of Ob and I hope we will get that in ROW whoever the main character is. But I think there's likely more to Navani. If she was originally going to have flashbacks then there must be something in her past that Brandon thought worth digging into, and despite his changing his mind, she probably still has these things in her past that she needs to deal with, so she should still get a good arc in the present. It could just be that Brandon realised that having Eshonai/Venli flashbacks was more important or that it was possible to tell Navani's story without a full flashback sequence. Though of course you could still be right. We can't really know until we get the book. Or if there are more sample chapters in the future maybe that would clarify things earlier. It's kind of strange not knowing who the main character of a book will be, especially Stormlight. Usually everyone who's been following WOBs and updates know because Brandon just says who's book it is. 

I would LOVE to see Navani as the main character. It would be the first time the main character is not a flashback character, and also the first time the main character is not a Radiant, but rather a common person, a incredible noble smart talented and important person, but just a human and not a demigod Radiant

I mean. I think it's safe to bet on Navani eventually becoming a Radiant of some kind. Like we've seen that the spren tend to give a closer look to people in the immediate social circle of existing Radiants. And all things concerned that's probably more true for Dalinar than it is for most Radiants. And no non-Radiant is closer to Dalinar than Navani is. 'Cept maybe Adolin, but I don't think any other spren are gonna try to bond him while he has Maya. 

Like, if she doesn't become a Radiant, I feel like we'd be forced to conclude that there's something about her in particular that discourages the spren from trying. 

I do hope that if she is the main character, then it's about her becoming a Willshaper. 

But I'd still prefer it if the main character was Rlain. So that the book's main focus be on the Listeners, both in the flashbacks and present day. I really don't see any other viewpoint characters with clear links to the flashbacks; y'know?