Main character of Rythm of War

Hi, first of all, sorry if this has already been discussed and I've just missed it. I was watching Brandon's interview on the dusty wheel this morning and one of the questions he was asked was about the character groupings for Rythm of War. He obviously didn't give much away but he did say that unlike with previous stormlight books, the flashback character wouldn't be the main character. The flashbacks will be split between Venli and Eshonai and of course Eshonai can't be the main character, but apparently Venli won't be either. Brandon said it wouldn't be any of the characters receiving a flashback sequence in the series and then I think listed Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Eshonai and Szeth. So my question is, who do you think the main character will be? Do you think Brandon meant that it isn't one of the five listed characters or that it isn't any of the ten flashback characters? Unfortunately I don't have the exact wording for what Brandon said. I think it was one of the first questions he was asked in the video so I might listen to it again later to refresh my memory. I'm just really interested to know who people think this character could be. Could it be someone like Adolin who's already a common pov character in other books (but not really a main character), or a more minor character we haven't seen much of before, or someone like Renarin who will get flashbacks in the back five? 

I think Adolin is the most likely, since he's the most main non-flashback character I can think of.

A part of me hopes it's Rysn, though I don't think that fits well with the eventual Wandersail novella, where she'll have a large presence. It could be Lirin, as Brandon does love killing off main characters and Lirin's totally gonna die this book so Kal can swear the 4th ideal

Edited by Artemos

5 minutes ago, Artemos said:

I think Adolin is the most likely, since he's the most main non-flashback character I can think of.

A part of me hopes it's Rysn, though I don't think that fits well with the eventual Wandersail novella, where she'll have a large presence. It could be Lirin, as Brandon does love killing off main characters and Lirin's totally gonna die this book so Kal can swear the 4th ideal

Yeah I agree with all of that. We already know that Lirin has at least one pov chapter right? So it's possible he could turn out to be the main character and we'll see Kaladin and the situation with the singers (possibly including Venli?) through his eyes and see how his philosophy influences Kaladin's development and his swearing of the fourth ideal. Then again like you say Adolin is a likely choice and will probably also be in a good position to show us what's going on with other characters. Rysn seems unlikely but if it's her novella Brandon's working on at the moment then maybe that'll set things up in a way where it would make sense? Like I said, unlikely, but still, it's possible. I was thinking maybe Renarin because we know more about what's going on with him now, but we'll probably just get a few more chapters from him.

25 minutes ago, Callsign Radiant said:

I've heard about Dalinar stepping back and Szeth being in jail, but what do you mean about this book originally being the Windrunner book? 

I believe this was originally going to focus on the Windrunner arcs but I can't find the WoB.

31 minutes ago, Karger said:

This used to be the Windrunner book.  Dalinar and Szeth are both stepping back.

Where did you see that? I thought it was just that he swapped the Bondsmith book (Dalinar) for the Szeth book (Skybreakers) in the sequence, but that Kaladin/Windrunners were always the 1st book.  

Just now, Quantus said:

Where did you see that? I thought it was just that he swapped the Bondsmith book (Dalinar) for the Szeth book (Skybreakers) in the sequence, but that Kaladin/Windrunners were always the 1st book.  

Windrunners are supposed to be important here but I can't find the stupid WoB!

7 minutes ago, Quantus said:

That was my assumption too, that WOK was the windrunner book because of Kaladin being the main character and flashback character. So this is probably the willshaper book or maybe the book of the order of the unknown main character. I don't know if this really helps work out who the main character is, but I am interested to know why this book would have been the windrunner book. It likely will still focus on windrunners to an extent if Kaladin is going to be dealing with his problems from OB and swearing the fourth ideal. 

If its a listener book then I think Rlain could be a possibility with whatever he is doing with the other listeners. I think it could also be Adolin and exploring the (potential) bond with Maya. 

Edit: Just listened to it and he says that its somebody who has not a flashback sequence in any of the books

Edited by SanderFan69
Listened to Video

11 minutes ago, SanderFan69 said:

If its a listener book then I think Rlain could be a possibility with whatever he is doing with the other listeners. I think it could also be Adolin and exploring the (potential) bond with Maya. 

Edit: Just listened to it and he says that its somebody who has not a flashback sequence in any of the books

Thanks for confirming what he said. I haven't had a chance to re-listen to it yet. Yeah I didn't think of Rlain but that is definitely a possibility. But it could still definitely be Adolin since he's not a flashback character and is going through some interesting things (potentially).

57 minutes ago, Karger said:

I went and watched and I am 80% sure that he was talking about Navani and about 15% sure it was Rlain in this one.

Oh really? Navani did briefly occur to me as an interesting character who isn't (but I think was going to/cd have?) have a flashback sequence, but I don't know, I didn't pick up on anything that seemed to imply it was her. What did you notice that makes you think that? 

35 minutes ago, Callsign Radiant said:

Oh really? Navani did briefly occur to me as an interesting character who isn't (but I think was going to/cd have?) have a flashback sequence, but I don't know, I didn't pick up on anything that seemed to imply it was her. What did you notice that makes you think that? 

Not in the interview itself but we know that Brandon spent some time writing her and(he mentioned he was doing so at several signings) from the released chapter we know that she is explaining/working on fabrials.  Also I really am looking forward to a Navani Venli team up so my confirmation bias is overstating things for me.

6 minutes ago, Karger said:

Not in the interview itself but we know that Brandon spent some time writing her and(he mentioned he was doing so at several signings) from the released chapter we know that she is explaining/working on fabrials.  Also I really am looking forward to a Navani Venli team up so my confirmation bias is overstating things for me.

Hold your horses! THERS A CHAPTER ONLINE??

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

Ah ok I get you now. I heard the reading but didn't realise that he'd spoken about Navani in signings. It is possible that we'll be seeing Dalinar and Jasnah and a lot of the Urithiru stuff from Navani's pov while she's working on activating the functions of the tower. That would fit with her fabrial expertise and with Dalinar stepping back.

I do kind of hope it's Adolin or Renarin, although I think all of the possibilities listed here are excellent options. Though I feel like with Adolin and Renarin it'll be easier to see the other characters' (Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Navani, Jasnah) progression, as they're both close to each of them. 

Although I'm very intrigued with the possibility of Rlain as the main character. 

16 minutes ago, wishiwasstormblessed said:

I do kind of hope it's Adolin or Renarin, although I think all of the possibilities listed here are excellent options. Though I feel like with Adolin and Renarin it'll be easier to see the other characters' (Kaladin, Shallan, Dalinar, Navani, Jasnah) progression, as they're both close to each of them. 

Although I'm very intrigued with the possibility of Rlain as the main character. 

Yeah that makes sense but I'm sure we'll still be getting chapters from Kaladin and Shallan with the usual scattering of Jasnah, and even though Dalinar's stepping back, that might not mean that he has no pov chapters at all. I would be happy to see more of Adolin and Renarin though, especially to find out more about Maya and Glys.

14 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

I think he just means that Eshonai is the flashback character, but Venli is the main character.

I don't know... I still haven't got round to re-listening to Brandon's answer to clarify the wording, but there was something he said that definitely made me think that's not what he meant. He said something about it being a surprise I think and Venli being the main character would be expected and not at all surprising. I'm not sure but I think he also might have said something about three characters, meaning Eshonai, Venli and this other character. Like I said though I don't remember exactly and I've been pretty distracted today so I haven't had time to check the details. I could be misremembering or misinterpreting.

19 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

I think he just means that Eshonai is the flashback character, but Venli is the main character.

17 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

Thats what I got from it

13 minutes ago, Karnage said:

Same, that's what I was thinking.

Pretty sure he indicated otherwise.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

I went and watched and I am 80% sure that he was talking about Navani and about 15% sure it was Rlain in this one.

I'd put that at more than 80% for me. He was also asked which character was the most enjoyable to write, and he answered that it was this other main character. This matches this WoB very well.

Questioner

In the characters of Stormlight, who's the most enjoyable to write about?

Brandon Sanderson

I like them all for different reasons. I really have been enjoying writing Navani lately, so she's been the most enjoyable. But it changes.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)