Shouldn't the highstorm be a perpendicularity?

NiceBleach

Question

The Stormfather's description of how highstorms renew spheres in Oathbringer sounds like a perpendicularity. It's not one. Why?

The page on the wiki for "perpendicularity" also says that perpendicularities are "stable junction." It is unclear what "stable" means here, as a bunch of the perpendicularities given later in the article are "unstable." Should the definition of perpendicularity there be changed?

Edited by NiceBleach

23 answers to this question

We technically don't have explicit confirmation that the Highstorm is Honor's Perpendicularity or sometimes the Shades on Threnody form a Perpendicularity. Those are educated guesses / very well-informed theories.

Edited by Dreamer

23 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

We technically don't have confirmation that the Highstorm is Honor's Perpendicularity or sometimes the Shades on Threnody form a Perpendicularity. Those are educated guesses.

Well the stormfather says that during the highstorm gemstones are exposed to the SR so some power is leaking through somehow.

6 minutes ago, Karger said:

Well the stormfather says that during the highstorm gemstones are exposed to the SR so some power is leaking through somehow.

Oh I think the Highstorm is Honor's Perpendicularity though I also think that would be a bit boring given the loooong tease and RAFOs. I kind of want Honor's Perpendicularity to be the Highstorm's Origin, whatever that may be

Edited by Dreamer

47 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

Oh I think the Highstorm is Honor's Perpendicularity though I also think that would be a bit boring given the loooong tease and RAFOs. I kind of want Honor's Perpendicularity to be the Highstorm's Origin, whatever that may be

But the origin does not move and should not provide access to mainland Roshar.

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

But the origin does not move and should not provide access to mainland Roshar.

Maybe the Perp manifests intermittently in slightly different locations

That's sad for the Worldhoppers

But it would be cool, wouldn't it? 

That could be why the perpendicularity is so hard to find. It's *somewhere* in the highstorm. But the highstorm spans all of Roshar as it moves across - so it's hard to find, you don't know where to look. And it moves fast. And when you come out of it, you're in a storming stormwall.

Edited by ftl

On 4/1/2020 at 6:44 PM, R J said:

The investiture comes from the SR through the Stormfather so its kinda like the stormfather is the perpendicularity

There is clearly some kind of realmatic opening in a Highstorm, since both Dalinar and Kaladin saw the glowing figures walking in the highstorm.   On the other hand, the screen specifically identified the perpendicularity opened by Dalinar as Honor's Perpendicularity.  This would seem to rule out its location being in the highstorm.  My theory is that spheres are recharged by the Investiture in the storm.  Since storm systems usually run out of energy and fall apart over land, the highstorm must be fed another way.  I suspect that is via investiture, rather than heat energy.  This investigate is then captured by gemstones.  This begs a question, though: Could you destroy a highstorm by simply putting out enough gemstones to absorb enough of its Investiture to cause it to fall apart?

20 hours ago, Invocation said:

Technically so does the highstorm. By the time it reaches Shinovar, it's noted as being about as weak as it can be. 

This is true, but the highstorm goes much farther inland than an uninvested storm would be capable of.  

12 minutes ago, Brgst13 said:

This is true, but the highstorm goes much farther inland than an uninvested storm would be capable of.  

Does it?  The highstorm is stronger then any earth storm.  It also exists in some really weird conditions due to the general weirdness of roshar.

20 hours ago, Invocation said:

Technically so does the highstorm. By the time it reaches Shinovar, it's noted as being about as weak as it can be. 

What if the highstorm is “recharged” at the orgin?

1 hour ago, Brgst13 said:

Yeah that's fair.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Does it?  The highstorm is stronger then any earth storm.  It also exists in some really weird conditions due to the general weirdness of roshar.

It's mentioned a couple of times how gentle the storms in the west are. From the wiki: "Highstorms are the fiercest in the stormlands of the east, but gradually subside as they progress westward toward more timid lands. Purelakers, located in the center of the continent, experience weakened storms; Shinovar in the west is spared completely due to the added protection of the Misted Mountains."

1 hour ago, MysticLotus said:

What if the highstorm is “recharged” at the orgin?

That's the theory. 

7 minutes ago, Invocation said:

It's mentioned a couple of times how gentle the storms in the west are. From the wiki: "Highstorms are the fiercest in the stormlands of the east, but gradually subside as they progress westward toward more timid lands. Purelakers, located in the center of the continent, experience weakened storms; Shinovar in the west is spared completely due to the added protection of the Misted Mountains."

Sure but even the Shin experience rain.  It is just that the winds at ground level are not noticeable.

Just now, Karger said:

Sure but even the Shin experience rain.  It is just that the winds at ground level are not noticeable.

Which is an extreme weakening from the Alethi storms that kill people. Shinovar gets a mist. My only point was that highstorms weaken over the course of the continent. 

2 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Which is an extreme weakening from the Alethi storms that kill people. Shinovar gets a mist. My only point was that highstorms weaken over the course of the continent. 

My only point is that an uninvested storm could probably cross just as easily.

Edited by Karger

1 minute ago, Invocation said:

Hurricanes run out of force pretty quickly once they're not being fed by the ocean, so I doubt that.

The highstrom is at least 3 times as strong as the strongest hurricane according to our reread friends at torr.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

The highstrom is at least 3 times as strong as the strongest hurricane according to our reread friends at torr.

So it would make it slightly further. So what? Still not going to be able to cross the whole of Roshar without some boost (probably from big Ado messing around).

32 minutes ago, Invocation said:

So it would make it slightly further. So what? Still not going to be able to cross the whole of Roshar without some boost (probably from big Ado messing around).

Roshar also has a thicker atmosphere and less gravity.  Also the storm seems to be global in scope so only around half the storm gets over land.