Nahel Bond after spikes are removed

Oltux72

Question

What happens if a hemalurgic construct that gained sentience by hemalurgy formed a Nahel Bond and then got its spikes ripped out? Does the spren become stupid as it cannot gain sentience from its partner? Is the bond broken?

3 answers to this question

I've rewritten this several times, and I keep revising my answer. I'm not exactly sure how the Nahel bond works in terms of Spiritwebs and species that aren't human, or if Spiritwebs are even the determining factor in spren intelligence through a bond.

I've been at this for far too long.

Here's my conclusion. In the case of Kandra, at least, the only difference between a Mistwraith and a human is some blockage existing between the Physical and Cognitive Realms. Spiritually, they're the same (I think), so, therefore, their Spiritwebs shouldn't be any less human as a Mistwraith or a Kandra, and a spren wouldn't lose sentience. 

My mind went down two paths.

First was how in Elantris the Seons were affected during the Reod. With an improper connection to the investiture, say the spikes being removed, could cause a similar result.

Second, Shallan gets a crossbow bolt to the head and nothing happens to Pattern. If removing the spikes resulted in a mainly cognitive result, the spren would likely continue with minimal problems.