Favorite Villains/Antagonists

I'd like to know who some of your favorite villains are. If they're twist villains, it would be appreciated if you marked it as a spoiler. 

For individual antagonists, my favorites are The Grey King from Lies of Locke Lamora for bring a really cool and effective chess master (one of my favorite tropes), Furudo Erika from Umineko for being my second favorite rival character and for being absolutely hilarious in how crazy and petty she is, Egil from Xenoblade got bring a really good sympathetic villain, Yoshikage Kira from Jojo for reasons I personally don't know how to describe, but if you've watched Jojo you know why,

Spoiler

Giliath Osborne

from the Trails series, most specifically Cold Steel, for being just about the best chess master character I've ever seen with one exception. Ryuji Goda from Yakuza, for just being really cool and being the best part of a game that I personally felt was just alright. 

Spoiler

Kuroiwa

also known as the Mole from Judgement, for the same reason as Ryuji, he is just so freaking cool. Sir Crocodile and Donquixote Doflamingo from One Piece, for being really cool (seeing a pattern?) and for being really good chess masters. Out of Brandon's works, my favorite antsgonist of his (other than Hrathen, who I don't personally count) is either the Lord Ruler or (spoiler for the very end of Way of Kings)

Spoiler

Taravangian.

And finally here, because it's going on a bit long, Meruem from HunterxHunter, because he is just so cool and one of the best examples of an overpowered character.

In terms of groups, they all have one big through line for why I like them, and that is that they all have a sense of camaraderie. The Phantom Troupe from HunterxHunter, La Squadra from Jojo, Ouroboros from Trails, and the League of Villains from My Hero Academia. There is nothing better than a villain group who cares for each other. 

And of course, we have my favorite villain of all time who I have het to mention. Easily and by far, from Ace Attorney Investigations 2, for being the single best chess master I've seen in fiction. It is 

Spoiler

my dear clown boy Simon Keyes.

Edited by aneonfoxtribute

Thrawn from star wars makes a great villain when done correctly. 

Voldemort will always be terrifying.

Dr. Doom is completely overblown but he still has his moments.

Reshek was done well.

Galbatorix will always impress me despite others thinking him lame.

Johann Liebert, from Naoki Urasawa's manga (and anime) series Monster. It's a thriller/crime drama set in Germany, and Liebert is the driving force behind it. Everything in the manga happens because of him. He has an unreal presence. My favorite. Naoki Urasawa is fantastic at writing villains, and I want to add that the antagonist of his other big manga series, 20th Century Boys, simply called "Friend", is also worth a mention.

Mephistopheles from Goethe's Faust (both parts), to name a classic. The writing and nuance are phenomenal. The tone and metre of his lines alone are enough to tell it's him speaking. Also one of the Trope Codifiers for those manipulative jerk antagonists that are everywhere today.

Another one from a manga is Griffith, from Berserk. His whole story is very NSFW and I won't get into it. But man, it's just complex, well-woven and devastating and the hate is real. Sadly, the manga is not as compelling as it used to be.

As far as television series go, Gus from Breaking Bad has left an immense impression. Everything about him is so respectable, charming, and intimidating, all at once.

These are a few from the top of my head. I might add some more later.

5e88c0e050794_Emet_Selch_art_02(1).thumb.jpg.0a1563ed0596180a99e8aa962f8b00f0.jpg

Emet-Selch from Final Fantasy XIV, also known as Emperor Solus Zos Galvus. A being known as an Ascian, an immortal who requires host bodies to exist in the current world.

Spoiler

He is the Architect, and has been the founder of the most terrifying empires through all of XIV's history, spanning back at least 5000 years. The reason people like Emet is because of his charismatic attitude and dry humor, but mostly because people felt a bit conflicted over his character. His goal is noble, but his means to get to his goal are monstrous. He would gladly commit genocide on entire worlds if it meant it would bring back his people and loved ones. And his goal is just that: to sacrifice everyone to unshackle his god Zodiark, who in turn would revive his people. He doesn't even consider the people living now to be truly alive. As such he says he would not be guilty of murder if he killed us. In the end, he is a very sad, pitiful man, burdened by eons of knowing he is one of the last of his people. And he asks only one thing of us after his defeat: to remember him. And his people. Remember that they once lived. And he stands up straight for the first time since you met him, his burden lifted at last. It was a fantastic moment in a fantastic game. 

Edited by Zurvanite

Shout-out to Thanos, probably my favorite villain of all time (especially in Infinity War, not as much in Endgame, but it’s still there). It’s interesting to see him truly believe he’s doing the right thing, but being totally and willfully ignorant to those he hurts and kills.

The Chandrian are pretty compelling and mysterious as villains go

The Akatsuki were pretty cool

The Endbringers from Worm. Chills.

Light Yagami from Death Note 

All of the Forsaken, but especially Moridin from WoT (everybody I know who's read WoT rants about him) 

Mallick from Malazan ((everybody I know who's read Malazan rants about him, except with 100% more hatred)

By that same scale, probably Moash too. Honorary mention goes to Amaram, Sadeas, The Lord Ruler, Ruin and Odium

Dolores Umbridge is still hated. Bellatrix Lestrange (movie version). Voldemort was meh

Edited by Dreamer

Grand Admiral Thrawn, who I wouldn’t call a villain, at least not in his new iteration (except for when Filoni storms up the writing) is defenitely an antagonist who is awesome in every way. Kylo Ren is also a brilliantly crafted character, maybe the most complex in Star Wars. 

Arthas Menethil in Warcraft is the best Fallen Hero story I have seen. Pure gold. 

Thanos has already been mentioned, but Loki, Killmonger, Toomes and Beck are all awesome MCU villains. 

Charles Pike in The 100 is an awesome antagonist as well, in that he is a guy who, from his view, does the right thing, and also, personality-wise is just as much a good guy as many of the main characters. And the flashbacks with him are heartbreaking.

Edited by Toaster Retribution

Not really "favorites," but notable ones not yet mentioned are:

• The Master from Doctor Who
  • Melkor (Morgoth) and the dragon Ancalagon the Black from Tolkien's Silmarillion
  • Gudgeons from the Monster Blood Tattoo series by D M Cornish
  • Fidelis Jes from Brian McClellan's Sins of Empire

I'll nominate the FF XII version of Cid.  he isn't the main villain, but he is the main villain' lieutenant, and I always found him to be wildly entertaining whenever he was on screen.

I'll also throw out Raul Julia's M. Bison from the Street Fighter movie.  He is a bright spot in an otherwise pretty bad film, and delivered this fantastic bit of dialogue: "For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."  (I haven't seen/dont plan to see the Sonic movie, btu evey still or clip i see from it suggests that Jim Carey's Robotnik/eggman/whatever they are callign him might be in a similar position)

Also almost every villain in Avatar: The Last Airbender and the season 3 and 4 villains from Legend of Korra