Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goatbringer

Raoden's Crazy Brother

7 posts in this topic

Hey people - not sure if this goes in here or in unpublished works, but I've been rereading Elantris again and listening to old Writing Excuses episodes (lots of time on my hands in lockdown you know). Brandon mentioned that in one of his earlier Elantris drafts he had a wacky side character who was Raoden's brother that he had to cut out because he just wasn't helping with the story. Do we know if this character has made it into any other Cosmere books as another character perhaps? Brandon sounded quite sad to let him go so it got me thinking he probably just tucked him away somewhere to use when it was more appropriate.

The brother appeared for one chapter, if I recall correctly, it's included in the 10th Anniversary Edition as the Mad Prince. I rather liked it actually, but it would have been better as a one-off short story.

Cool! I'll have to get my hands on a copy. 

The chapter also used to be online at Brandon's website.  It may still be there.

It's unlikely the specific character will get repurposed elsewhere (despite Brandon saying he'd like to) but one of the scenes that contained him did get used again when the 'game' of stones got reworked into the Tarachin scene in Warbreaker.