The fourteenth metal ??

Friendshipspren

Question

10 answers to this question

The only way I can think of explaining this is that Vin knows that each metal comes in pairs; the base metal and its alloy. I can't recall if she correctly paired Atium and Malatium or if she considered gold and Malatium a pair considering how similarly they work. But I think she knew that there was a metal in that grouping that was missing. I realize that isn't how those pairings actually work; electrum and gold are a pair and Atium is a god metal. But my guess is Vin thought of the twelfth metal as something she hadn't found yet that was paired to Atium or gold as she had realized that they weren't really a pair.  

49 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

Screenshot_2020-03-31-11-24-15-669.thumb.jpeg.f2b009b458253dd9123e825de1513b69.jpeg

Ok so u have the 10 known metals including gold and atium

U have malatium and aluminium. 

So that makes duralumin the 13th metal. 

Why does vin refer to it as the fourteenth ?

She didn't know about electrum or Lerasium then. 

So I guess it's a typo ??

Electrum or as she and Elend called it, Poor Man's Atium

22 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

But there's no indication she knew about it. 

Atleast not the allomantic ratio of the alloy. 

If she did then shouldn't she have been using it to counter atium like they do in book 3

Hmm... she definitely used duralumin in book 2 (that last epic scene, bye-bye Straff), didn't she also use electrum in book 2 against Zane? 

Nope. First time we see electrum is when they fight the inquisitor outside that city at the beginning of HoAScreenshot_2020-03-31-16-56-35-346.thumb.jpeg.a88207bf1278050eb1237f837f9e6d93.jpeg

It's not even that useful unless ur opponent is a atium wielder. 

Screenshot_2020-03-31-17-01-06-705.thumb.jpeg.c23287a884a2adc4e1f1df4f40555a76.jpeg

Hell if she knew about it in book 2 , then she would have definitely used it during those tough times without atium, esp seeing that's the only great purpose it has. 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

Just now, PrinceGenocide said:

Huh apparently it's mentioned in the ars arcanum of WoA . Hmmm I wonder why vin or Zane or any other misrborn not use it then. 

Wow it actually completely negates atium . I thought it just increased ur chances ur bit 

Screenshot_2020-03-31-17-15-56-472.jpeg

It doesn't completely negate Atium rather it effectively negates it. You'd basically be trying to predict someone who can predict you. With what a precious resource Atium is, compared to electrum, the Atium burner is forced to either stop or see which one runs out of their respective metals first

Ohhhhhhhhh I think vin killing Zane by changing her future once her atium shadow was set was what led to her realizing the potential of electrum to negate atium. 

Nice foreshadowing. damnation Brando. U rock Screenshot_2020-03-31-17-25-13-953.thumb.jpeg.63a6ce360567de72759a39887fc2f636.jpeg

damnation Brando sando rocks. Two years and I'm still finding secrets . Noice 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

Vin at the time only knows 13.  The 10 she learned with Kel that all Mistborn know +1 for his eleventh metal.  She learns aluminum when it is used on her so that makes 12 and she learns duralumin by deducing that aluminum has an opposite making 13.  So yeah it is a typo.