Any Anime Recommendations?

ILuvHats

Just like many people, I've been stuck at home for weeks, and I'm looking forward to being stuck there for weeks more. So I'm wondering if anybody knows some anime I should check out. I've worked my way through most of my backlog, so I'm looking for recommendations. Here's a list of all the series I've already watched, so anything not on there is game.

Spoiler
  • One punch man season 1
  • Sword Art Online season 1
  • No game no life 
  • Blue exorcist
  • Death Note
  • Fate Stay Night Unlimited Bladeworks
  • Seven Deadly Sins
  • Overlord
  • Mirai Nikki
  • Death Parade
  • Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Your Lie in April
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • Dr. Stone
  • Kakegurui
  • Dororo
  • Cautious Hero
  • My hero academia
  • Kaguya-sama
  • Angel Beats
  • Devilman Crybaby
  • The Devil is a Part timer
  • The Promised Neverland
  • Demon Slayer
  • Goblin Slayer
  • Darwin’s game
  • Deadman Wonderland
  • Somali and the Forest Spirit
  • Steins; Gate
  • Violet Evergarden
  • Kill la Kill
  • Konosuba
  • Re: Zero
  • Hellsing Ultimate
  • Log Horizon
  • Keep your hands off eizouken
  • Attack on Titan
  • Fruits Basket

A few of my favorites

Fairy Tail(kinda like My hero academia)

Shiki(vampire horror)

Vampire Knight (highschool - Humans during the day. Vampires at night)

Soul Eater(humans train at Death's academy to learn to fight Kishin a.k.a demons)

The Wallflower(comedy. 4 highschoolers have to transform their landlady's niece from a Goth paranoid wallflower to a beautiful lady or start paying rent)

Danganronpa (horror highschool. Student can only leave if they successfully kill a classmate and get away with it)

Kakegurui(wild gambling highschool)

Edited by Eternal Khol

Chihayafuru - 75 episodes: A girl recruits people for a karuta club, a card game about memorizing poems. (a favorite of mine not many seem to know. It sounds and it's pretty chill some of the time but there's a reason it's clasified as a sports anime)

Monogatari Series - 86 episodes~ plus 3 movies: A half-vampire high schooler deals with cases of people possessed by other monsters. (a real life eater and one of the best stories I've watched, but only do it if you can bear with the massive amount of fanservice. Also, despite so many powerful beings protagonizing, fights are very scarce and each episode is more likely to be a 20-minute conversation, but that's where the series shines the most)

Durarara - 60 episodes: A high school boy moves to Ikebukuro in Tokyo, looking to make his life more interesting. (urban fantasy. It has a ginormous cast, lots of crazy situations, kind of a mafia story at times. Of note that most of the characters aren't what you would call mentally healthy. You see depressed people, pyromaniacs, stalkers, downright psychopaths, and a long etc)

High Score Girl - 24 episodes: The relationship between a boy and a girl across several years while they share the hobby of video games. (one of the most adorable romantic comedies I've seen, plus it's filled with out of place info dumps about video game history that don't feel out of place at all. Also, starting when they're both kids and from there builiding to their teenage years is a really interesting concept)

Garden of Sinners - 10 movies: Set in the same multiverse as Fate/Stay Night, it tells the story of Ryougi Shiki, a young woman with the power to kill anything, as she faces supernatural cases in the city. (urban fantasy, it can get a lot darker than Fate. Ten movies might sound a big commitment but most of them are 1-hour long)

Boogiepop wa Warawanai - 18 episodes: A mysterious being known as Boogiepop appears whenever a supernatural danger is present in the city. (yet another urban fantasy, this one follows a serial format let's say, where each one will span a few episodes with different characters and the only major tie being that Boogiepop interferes. Also there's the 90s series, which can work as a sequel to this, and is one of the few anime, if not the only one, that has made me feel actual fear)

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 12 episodes and 1 movie: A girl has to decide if she wants to be a magical girl as she sees her friends struggle with that responsibility. (the reason everyone is trying to subvert the magical girl genre)

The Ancient Magus' Bride - 24 episodes and 3 specials: A girl loses the will to live thanks to the things she can see, and lets herself be sold in an auction. A strange creature buys her and promises that she will be happy. (this one is pure magic, and an amazing use of contrast too. At times it's a beautiful painting worthy of being in a museum and at times it's like a horror movie, but in both cases everything revolves around magic)

Perfect Blue - movie: An idol decides to change to being an actress, and she has to deal with the harsh way the industry treats her and someone who seems to be stalking her. (I'll only put this one on the list but I recommend anything by its director, Satoshi Kon. He was a master of mixing reality with illusion, and his first movie is probably the best example. An interesting and kinda horrifying descent to madness)

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 27 episodes: Two boys who lived underground with their people have their lives changed when a mecha from the surface attacks the colony. (this series is a chain of what I would consider terrible storytelling decisions in any other story (lightning-fast pacing, constant weird powerups, overly increasing scope), but the way they're worked here is brilliant)

Akame ga Kill, Terra Formar and Blood C would go with that list

Steins;Gate isn't recommended enough

Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales: Bakeneko (it's a really good artsy anthology)

Some funny ones like Nichijou, Daily Lives of Highschool Boys, Aho Girl, Ouran High

Does anyone like the nice, atmospheric ones? Spice and Wolf, Honey and Clover

Edited by Dreamer

Puella Magi Madoka Magica x3, it's pretty amazing once you get over the art style. The film is great as well. The writer, Gen Urobuchi, has also created the dystopian sci-fi anime Psycho-Pass, which is worth a watch as well - as long as you stop after the first season (the only one that Urobuchi wrote). That one is self-contained though, so no worries about cliffhangers!

Baccano! and Durarara! are both by the same creator, set in the same world, and the style is rather similar. If you like one of them, chances are you'll enjoy the other as well. The former is more story-driven, the latter is more loose in its story-telling. I recommend both, but Baccano! is short and tight, and I personally liked it a bit more.

If you're into surrealist stuff, Paranoia Agent by the great Satoshi Kon (the creator of Paprika and Perfect Blue, among others) is a must.

Monster is a calm thriller drama and my favorite series in general. Very character-driven though, and clocks in at 74 episodes, so it's a commitment.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Way to many to get through quickly though :D. Just finished watching Madoka Magica, which was right up my alley. Psychological thrillers are always really interesting, and I've never seen one done in a world literally filled with lolis. Right now I'm going through Vinland Saga, which I've seen recommended elsewhere. Out of the animes listed in this topic, the ones that caught my eye are Boogiepop and Banana Fish. I've heard of the first one, and I just love the name. As for the second, any anime listed in the same sentence as Steins Gate seems like a safe bet in my book. I probably won't watch any of the series with 60, 70 plus episodes very soon. My attention span isn't the best, so I don't commit to longer series very often unless they're big ones like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll throw in Cowboy Bebop as a classic, it stills holds up and is just so good.

And I'll second Baccano!  It's pacing and character introductions can be odd, but it....escalates quickly and ends up being great.

Mushishi is very chill.  A wanderer helps people whose lives have been affected by Mushi, which are like primordial spirit things.  Each episode is a stand alone.

9 hours ago, Zelly said:

And I'll second Baccano!  It's pacing and character introductions can be odd, but it....escalates quickly and ends up being great.

I keep hearing good things about Baccano. I know the book series is really long, about 22 novels (and still ongoing) and you could probably get over 50 episodes out of it. Actually Durarara is only 13 novels and they got 60 episodes out of it so it wouldn't surprise me if Baccano had material for over 100. So I've always wondered. Does the adaptation, having only 13 episodes, have any sense of finality or does it leave you with more questions than answers? Like, is it a full story or is it too obvious it's only the beginning?

49 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

I keep hearing good things about Baccano. I know the book series is really long, about 22 novels (and still ongoing) and you could probably get over 50 episodes out of it. Actually Durarara is only 13 novels and they got 60 episodes out of it so it wouldn't surprise me if Baccano had material for over 100. So I've always wondered. Does the adaptation, having only 13 episodes, have any sense of finality or does it leave you with more questions than answers? Like, is it a full story or is it too obvious it's only the beginning?

Okay, so basically, the anime is not all of the material. Its not even close. It only adapts.... I wanna say four books, which are the first three arcs (Rolling Bootlegs, Grand Punk Railroad, which takes up two books each showing half of the perspectives on the train, and Drug and the Dominoes, iirc). Each arc is a new story that doesn't have much to do with the others other than a few characters and one plot line thats kind of in the background, and it jumps between the three despite them taking place at completely different times. I remember it having a good sense of finality, while still leaving some things ambiguous that feel purposeful even if we don't take into account that there are a lot more books after this, and its because the three arcs are so self contained.

21 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Okay, so basically, the anime is not all of the material. Its not even close. It only adapts.... I wanna say four books, which are the first three arcs (Rolling Bootlegs, Grand Punk Railroad, which takes up two books each showing half of the perspectives on the train, and Drug and the Dominoes, iirc). Each arc is a new story that doesn't have much to do with the others other than a few characters and one plot line thats kind of in the background, and it jumps between the three despite them taking place at completely different times. I remember it having a good sense of finality, while still leaving some things ambiguous that feel purposeful even if we don't take into account that there are a lot more books after this, and its because the three arcs are so self contained.

I see. I might give it a marathon one of these days then. I was afraid of watching it and then having to jump straight into the books. It's not that I don't want to read them, I'm planning to actually, but I already have a lot on my plate right now so it would have to wait, but it looks like I can at least watch the anime safely to get a taste.

Yeah, and even if you don't immediately read the books, you can just read the first four books to refresh your memory. 

Also, I think I heard somewhere that the author of Baccano drew some art for Trails, and while I don't know the validity of that statement, I do know that a character in Crossbell looks exactly like a character in Baccano. So that's neat. 

Assassination classroom. I haven't seen the anime itself, just read the manga, but it's an interesting storyline. Basically, an alien blew up the moon and threatened to do the same to the earth. He volunteered to teach a class, and if the class can assassinate him by the end of the year, he won't blow up the earth. If they don't, he will. Also, he can move at Mach 20. He's actually a good teacher though, so that's a plus.

• 1 month later...

Marai Nikki (Future Diary) is my favorite!  I love this series.  24 episodes about and the POV is necessary.  A god is dying and he chooses 12 people with different diaries to give their diaries abilities, the last one alive becomes God.  Lot of plot twists and whatnot.  It's a show that can be real silly one minute and very serious or bloody the next.

I'm into the newish darker intelligently written ones like Tokyo Ghoul and Psycho Pass as well.

• 6 months later...

Bungou Stray Dogs, can be found on Hulu. It's a rather dramatic and occasionally humorous show that keeps me wanting more. It focuses heavily on character development and plot, as well as asking serious questions about morality and the such. As a bit of a fun bonus, the characters in the show are based off of authors, typically classic ones. at first you'll see a lot of Japanese classical authors, as the show takes place in Japan, but eventually Americans make their way into the story. It's a good watch with a tie-in movie that is optional, but it has a well handled plot and applicable character development, not to mention that it's canon in the show's established "lore". 

I personally prefer the audio to be in Japanese with English Subtitles by the way, mostly for the Japanese voice actors and how they do their lines. It is my opinion that the American dub voice actors (no offense meant to their skill) can't quite get that character that the original voice actors put in.