Warbreaker, did i miss something about Susebron's first appearance?

The Thunderhead

Question

So one thing has been bugging me since I finished Warbreaker and it's that I don't understand how Susebron was suddenly behind Siri when they first met. I'm fairly certain there's a wall behind her and she says she has no idea how he got there. From what i understand about the powers gained at the 10th Heightening there's nothing we know about that would allow him to just appear like that. Did i miss something about the ability to turn invisible or was there a hidden passage in that wall? I feel like i've just missed something because i've seen no one mention it and it is brushed over in any summaries i've read. Any help solving this would be much appreciated, i think of it at least once a fortnight and it is getting upsetting now.

6 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, The Thunderhead said:

Thanks for the answers and welcome! It does still seems strange to me, i've found the scene now and she does say there isn't any passage behind her but it wouldn't be the only secret passage in Hallandren. But it doesn't seem like there's really anything to read into

@RShara, I guess it was the first time she got a proper look at him. It's the scene in the Arena when Siri is introduced to the court (i think) the end of chapter 14/start of 15.

Oh that scene. Later on in chapter 15, it says

Two coils of colorful rope hit the ground on either side of the God King. Siri watched as the ropes twisted with a life of their own, carefully wrapping around Susebron and pulling him into the air. His white robes fluttered as he was towed up through the space between the canopy and the back wall. Siri leaned forward, watching the ropes deliver her husband to a stone outcropping above. He sat back into a golden throne. Beside him, a pair of Awakener priests commanded their living ropes to roll up around their arms and shoulders.

So to me, it's clear that he was placed there by either those ropes or different ones, earlier.

Thanks for the answers and welcome! It does still seems strange to me, i've found the scene now and she does say there isn't any passage behind her but it wouldn't be the only secret passage in Hallandren. But it doesn't seem like there's really anything to read into

@RShara, I guess it was the first time she got a proper look at him. It's the scene in the Arena when Siri is introduced to the court (i think) the end of chapter 14/start of 15.