How to find the Sanderfans...

Tesh

When out in public, what are some of the best ways to find other Sanderfans?

(My contributions)

Swearing the oaths very loudly while staring up at the sky.

Throwing coins at people you deem dangerous.

And if course, using words like storms and rust as curses.

Try and awkwardly shove cosmere words into ordinary conversations to see if you get a reaction.

“So I’m really invested in this book series right now.”

“I’ll put this food in the fridge for its preservation.”

“That fire really burns bright, doesn’t it? It must be because of all those sticks.” 

“I wonder when this storm will pass. We have no power so we have to use candles for light.”

“It’s great to see them showing such devotion to each other.” 

Colours! ...are so pretty, aren’t they?”

“Oh, rust! My bike is ruined by all this rust!”

“Remember to get your correct iron intake so you’re strong enough to pull stuff around.” 

I have no idea how you would naturally integrate some of those into a conversation, but oh well. 

3 hours ago, The Awakened Salad said:

I have no idea how you would naturally integrate some of those into a conversation, but oh well. 

In an ideal conversation, the chances will already be there! :ph34r: 

On 28/03/2020 at 3:35 PM, AonEne said:

Saying pretty much anything memorable from the books or laughing whenever honor, hope, sticks, metal, storms, etc. come up in conversation. 

On 28/03/2020 at 4:04 PM, Lunamor said:

Wear a glove only on your left hand and slap anyone who looks at it for too long.

On 28/03/2020 at 6:50 PM, The Awakened Salad said:

Try and awkwardly shove cosmere words into ordinary conversations to see if you get a reaction.

On 29/03/2020 at 1:13 PM, Karger said:

Just talk about how great the books are in public and how everyone should read them.  Eventually you will find someone or they will find you. 

Storms!  Social distancing people!  Don't go out and have conversations with people who don't live in your household.  Don't go out at all unless you're doing essential work or getting essential supplies.

1 hour ago, Snorkel said:

Storms!  Social distancing people!  Don't go out and have conversations with people who don't live in your household.  Don't go out at all unless you're doing essential work or getting essential supplies.

I think I speak for everyone in that finding anyone new during quarantine is generally a bad idea.

On 3/28/2020 at 6:29 PM, Rask said:

Pester your friends unit they read the books. 

Done. Many, many, many times. @Ashspren can attest to that. I also got my school library to order copies of Mistborn, Reckoners, Skyward, and tWoK (with help from another friend).

On 3/28/2020 at 7:04 PM, Nameless said:

Wear Cosmere related clothing. (I have a bridge 4 shirt)

I am disappointed I have never seen anybody wearing cosmere related clothing, although I almost bought a friend a doomslug shirt for his birthday (I am not sure what happened to that plan).

Also, am I the only one who just legitimately asks people I have been talking to if they have read Sanderson books? I met somebody a couple weeks ago who had read Mistborn. The key is to push the conversation in a direction where the question "Are you familiar with Sanderson books?" isn't out of place, or, ask it even though it is out of place.

Other, far more reasonable and logical ways:

Randomly shout out "Destroy Evil" or ask the people around you if they want to destroy evil.

Ask people if they want to be fire, insisting that they could be fire. If they respond with "I am a stick," you know it has worked. (This one works really well, doesn't make people think you are crazy at all...)

Constantly mutter sanderson references under your breath, and when asked, blame it on Ruin. (This one is very effective at making sure you only meet sanderfans)

7 hours ago, Snorkel said:

I think the point of this thread is to compile strategy's so that when social distancing is no longer needed to keep people safe, we can all go out and find a ton of sanderfans to make up for sanderfans that we could not find during this time period.

2 hours ago, Ishar said:

Also, am I the only one who just legitimately asks people I have been talking to if they have read Sanderson books? The key is to push the conversation in a direction where the question "Are you familiar with Sanderson books?" isn't out of place, or, ask it even though it is out of place. 

I ask pretty much everyone this, often out of nowhere. Sadly I haven’t found many fans. 

1 hour ago, Ishar said:

Also, am I the only one who just legitimately asks people I have been talking to if they have read Sanderson books? I met somebody a couple weeks ago who had read Mistborn. The key is to push the conversation in a direction where the question "Are you familiar with Sanderson books?" isn't out of place, or, ask it even though it is out of place.

I do this with every person I meet, after they have answered whether they like reading or not. Occasionally i get a yes, and then try to talk to them about it, but all I generally get is an, "oh, I liked it," and then that person avoids the topic of books at all costs around me. My cousin (who introduced me to the books) is the only major Sanderfan I know in person. (Eh. Maybe a few of my other cousins, but the two of us are by far the most obsessed). I'm working on a girl in my creative writing class, though, who's read Stormlight. 

I'm sure that was a much lengthier thing than anyone wanted. So, as a result of my Warbreaker reread:

Whisper quietly about changes in color.

Post signs telling people to stay away from a black sword.

Run up to random people, look super nervous, and give them your Breath.

• 2 weeks later...