What would happen if you lobbed Nightblood into the Dor?

Staenbridge

8 minutes ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:

Ooh, so maybe Nightblood could make a human avatar of himself... (I know he’s genderless, I’ve just always thought of it as a he)

I need some fanart

It might look something like Ati's ascended form (i'm picturing the art on the Coppermind page for Ati) actually, since Nightblood does contain Ruin's Investiture.

4 hours ago, Booknerd said:

Didn't overwhelm Vin, or Kelisier, or Harmony, or Adonalsium, so what says it would Nightblood.

Well, Brandon does, for one.

Questioner

If it's possible for Nightblood to actually interact with a Shard, what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson

A Shard would try to stay very far away from Nightblood. Nightblood could not plausibly destroy an entire Shard but the Vessel could be in danger.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Questioner

If Nightblood was to attack one [a Shard] and decided it was evil, could he destroy enough of that Shard to seriously weaken it compared to other Shards or not really?

Brandon Sanderson

I mean it would be such a drop in the bucket. To actually weaken the Shard. Like, there is so much out there. This would be hard to do. I won't completely nix it, but let's just say there's a lot that Nightblood would have to...

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Questioner

If you held out Nightblood in the mists on Scadrial what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood would probably start feeding on the mists on Scadrial.

Questioner

Would it pick up the Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

No, that's not how that works.

Barnes & Noble B-Fest 2016 (June 11, 2016)

Argent

Can Nightblood damage or kill a Shard? Is he that powerful?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood is not powerful enough for-- *makes weird/hesitant ehhh sound*

Argent

Can it damage?

Brandon Sanderson

Damage? Yes. How damaging? Is a subject to discussion. Nightblood contains a lot of Investiture.

Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

10 hours ago, RShara said:

Well, Brandon does, for one.

I've seen all of those before and they don't really support or deny anything in this thread. We are not attacking the focused power of two Shards with Nightblood, but rather throwing Nightblood at a raging storm of Investiture which is equivalent to the power of two Shards. 

lets assume nightblood can devour the whole of the dor i doubt he coud pick up devotion and dominion if it works on simler mechanics to absorbing the mists he'd probably get all that power losing a bit in the process since he vents off some in the form of his black smoke hed just have a huge amount of power but without the capacity of those shardic intents if we use this wob as an  example but the mists and the dor could behave completly diffeerntly when absorbed so who knows it does imply however nigtbloods feeding behaves differntly from simply drawing in the power so we might need to figure out that diffenrce to get a better idea 

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

2 hours ago, the cardinal of death said:

lets assume nightblood can devour the whole of the dor i doubt he coud pick up devotion and dominion if it works on simler mechanics to absorbing the mists he'd probably get all that power losing a bit in the process since he vents off some in the form of his black smoke hed just have a huge amount of power but without the capacity of those shardic intents if we use this wob as an  example but the mists and the dor could behave completly diffeerntly when absorbed so who knows it does imply however nigtbloods feeding behaves differntly from simply drawing in the power so we might need to figure out that diffenrce to get a better idea 

It could just be that the mists would draw away from Nightblood:

PhantomMonstrosity

Let's say some Mistborn jerk tosses Nightblood into the mists. What happens?

Brandon Sanderson

I suspect the mists would pull away from Nightblood, though he'd try to feed on them.

Does Nightblood gain power from feeding? Or just get full and drowsy?

What would happen if he connected with a Shard Blade/Plate? 

Poof? Or a Magnetic type connection with screaming for a few seconds then... poof???

Or... he... say... his feeding converts investiture into "unusable" investiture right. Said "unusable" investiture revives dead spren???? 

Theory: above is right and as Szeth takes out the Shin government, Nightblood consumes the Honor Blades, then resurrects the thousands of Shard Blades/Dead Spren!!! 

Who bond with Nightblood, not Szeth.

And you get the Aragon dead/now living army.

Edited by Thanatos

yeah thats defintaly possible that even if he siphoned off some of the mist the rest would scatter before he coud draw enough in for anything significate towards picking up the shard even happens so the mists might not be the best parralel becuase the dor doent seem to react in simler manner also going on to what eating the dor could do to night blood theres a WOB that might imlpy some effect on nightblood mentality based on the shardic intent of the power he devours its a rafo but its fun to speculate it also rleated to when his command activates so who knows if that would actually effect his mind when in his sheath

ccstat

A question I've been thinking about recently: In Warbreaker we see Nightblood's consciousness shift dramatically when he is actively consuming investiture. Does the Shardic flavor of that investiture (Breath vs Stormlight or Preservation Mist vs Ruin Mist) influence how his mind functions in that state?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO, actually. Good question.

Stormlight Three Update #4 (Oct. 6, 2016)

8 hours ago, Thanatos said:

What would happen if he connected with a Shard Blade/Plate? 

Poof? Or a Magnetic type connection with screaming for a few seconds then... poof???

Or... he... say... his feeding converts investiture into "unusable" investiture right. Said "unusable" investiture revives dead spren???? 

Theory: above is right and as Szeth takes out the Shin government, Nightblood consumes the Honor Blades, then resurrects the thousands of Shard Blades/Dead Spren!!! 

Who bond with Nightblood, not Szeth.

And you get the Aragon dead/now living army.

He does become more Invested from feeding, but it's unclear if that enhances his ability to destroy or not.

I don't think he can bond with plate or a blade (living or dead. I doubt he's capable of the kind of personal growth needed to progress oaths, even if bonding with him isn't a death sentence for a Spren). Touching blade or plate... It takes time for him to absorb all the Investiture from stuff he touches, so yeah.

I very seriously doubt that theory, for several reasons. But, you do you.

On 29/03/2020 at 11:17 AM, Thanatos said:

We know that Nightblood is significantly more powerful than when it was created.

Also fun fact, Nightblood wasn't originally black, though there's enough wiggle room left on the WoBs that that might just be referring to all of the Breaths/Stormlight/assorted other sources of Investiture leaking out (rather than actually having a black blade), and I can't remember Nightblood descriptions in enough detail to call it, myself. 

On 29/03/2020 at 11:17 AM, Thanatos said:

The Investiture leaking out of Nightblood is described as "corrupted" by Brandon, though he later clarified about this that it's really just changing the Investiture rather than strictly corrupting it, though he refuses to expound what that means. Regardless, Nightblood's black smoke is presumably of Endowment, as the sword is an Awakened object, so it probably wouldn't be a good fit in terms of Shards for the spren; if you mixed them, presumably it would produce corrupted spren à la Sja-anat. 

On 29/03/2020 at 7:23 PM, Halyo_Alex said:

He does become more Invested from feeding, but it's unclear if that enhances his ability to destroy or not.

It seems to? Brandon's exact quote was "grew in power over time", and though the questioner was asking in the context of pure Investiture, I can't see why it wouldn't become more destructive — that's what the word "power" connotes; power isn't really power if it's not able to be used for anything, and Nightblood's abilities aren't just a function of convincing a piece of metal to vaporize folks, but rather due to the Investiture and Command which it were given. The Cosmere isn't quite an Eli Monpress book, where Jasnah can make swords become Shardblade-levels of deadly by just talking to them and seeing that the target is a bad dude. 

On 29/03/2020 at 7:23 PM, Halyo_Alex said:

I don't think he can bond with plate or a blade (living or dead. I doubt he's capable of the kind of personal growth needed to progress oaths, even if bonding with him isn't a death sentence for a Spren). Touching blade or plate... It takes time for him to absorb all the Investiture from stuff he touches, so yeah.

As I said before, Brandon's refused to commit on whether sapient Investiture is capable of bonding spren, so it's all up in the air at the moment. Personally, I think there's no good reason why they shouldn't be able to bond spren; you don't need to be a living creature to learn and develop, as this is part of what spren gain from the Nahel bond, and Nightblood has been stated to grow as a person? character? sword? despite what Vasher thinks, even if parts of its personality are essentially fixed. On the other hand, from a narrative perspective there are strong arguments against it, because suddenly you have questions about spren bonding spren, and that gets very crazy very quickly. 

Eli Monpress, great read. Also liked her space opera as well.

back on track, the revives dead spren was just a drunk thought not an actual theory, more a hypothesis. 

like... is Nightblood really black? Or a very dark shade of red, as in corrupted investiture.

or black as in his colour does not register to people so they call it black as this is what their brain sees and registers. 

On 05/04/2020 at 10:55 PM, Thanatos said:

like... is Nightblood really black? Or a very dark shade of red, as in corrupted investiture.

or black as in his colour does not register to people so they call it black as this is what their brain sees and registers. 

As I understand it, no one has ever asked that. Everyone's just said "black". Brandon calls it black, questioners call it black (and are not corrected), etc. That'd be a very interesting question to ask him if you ever get the chance. Given that Nightblood is from Nalthis, where people have a very good understanding of colour, I think it's probably actually black? 

On 3/28/2020 at 1:51 PM, the cardinal of death said:

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

Actually, we've already seen a good justification for Nightblood picking up at least one of the Shards in this thread.

I mean, he's pretty dang Devoted. I don't see him getting Dominion, especially where Dominion is the GOOD shard, but he could totally get Devotion. And, ya know, still eat the body of dominion.

Just a thought.

24 minutes ago, Sazedezas said:

Actually, we've already seen a good justification for Nightblood picking up at least one of the Shards in this thread.

I mean, he's pretty dang Devoted. I don't see him getting Dominion, especially where Dominion is the GOOD shard, but he could totally get Devotion. And, ya know, still eat the body of dominion.

Just a thought.

agreed there is some justifcation im simply calling into the question if nightbloods absorbtion works the same way as drawing in enough power to ascend we dont know and if it is different it might not allow him to ascend persay but he might get the power because atleast this word of brandon implies its akin to a hyper powered form of savantism an we have no clue if nightblod can achieve this said savantism but when it comes down to it we dont know becuase if nightblood can ascend is an rafo 

Oudeis16

We've seen people Ascend. If it were in the position to do so, could Nightblood take up a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

This is a RAFO, as I'm not specifically willing to comment on whether or not power that has become self-aware (Seons, Nightblood, Spren) can Ascend or not.

/r/books AMA 2015 (June 24, 2015)

Douglas

What about a lerasium savant? Or would that require so much lerasium that the person attempting it would ascend to become a new Shardholder?

Brandon Sanderson

Basically, this is what Ascension is.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 27, 2012)

Edited by the cardinal of death

another thing that could be disatrous to sel if there is some equivalent to the beads on roshars subastral within the dor and if an unsheathed nightblood is being thrown around if it hits any of these bead equivalents whatever they are in the physical realm goes poof so that could really mess up the magic on sel even if nightblood didnt ascend 

Hoiditthroughthegrapevine (paraphrased)

If Nightblood were in the cognitive realm and was used to stab a bead that was the cognitive representation of a castle, would the castle be destroyed in the Physical Realm?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

If you could get Nightblood into the Cognitive Realm, then yes. 

What would happen to people who were in the castle at the time? 

They wouldn't be affected (other than possibly plummeting to their death).

How about a carpet that had been in the castle for 50 years? 

No, 50 years most likely wouldn't be enough time. 

Is this like the "Ship of Theseus?" 

Yes

Oathbringer Portland signing (Nov. 16, 2017)

On 4/13/2020 at 11:49 AM, the cardinal of death said:

agreed there is some justifcation im simply calling into the question if nightbloods absorbtion works the same way as drawing in enough power to ascend we dont know and if it is different it might not allow him to ascend persay but he might get the power because atleast this word of brandon implies its akin to a hyper powered form of savantism an we have no clue if nightblod can achieve this said savantism but when it comes down to it we dont know becuase if nightblood can ascend is an rafo 

I'm pretty sure that what Brandon meant is that burning that much Lerasium would increase your connection to Preservation so much that you would ascend. Just like normal ascension, except you only need a humongous pile of Lerasium to do it.