what is the lost metal? (spoliers)

Kalaksbreath

Do we have WoB that the "lost metal" is in reference Atium because that's the first thing that came to mind for me because in Shadow of Self Wax is at the party and sees the empty pedestal that says Atium the lost metal but later Wax is it the Pits of Hathsin so he knows exactly where the new Atium will be and in my mind, it is no longer lost. 

So that leaves other metals like Lerasium if I remember correctly we have WoB saying that there were 16 beads of Lerasium and we only know what happened to 12 of them TLR gave 9 to some unknown people once he finished at the well of ascension then took one for himself then later Hoid takes one and Elend takes the other that leaves 4 still floating around somewhere and I would think Harmony would want to know where they are.

This also allows for a rejuvenation of alomancy for the later eras.

also as a side note will 16% of the population on Scadrial always have some Alomantic ability because all humans have some of preservations body in them or is that wrong. 

also also this is all in reference to book 4 in era 2 being named The Lost metal.

I dont think we have WOB confirmation that The Lost Metal of the title is Atium, but as you pointed out there is strong evidence in the novel.

However, we do have confirmation that Atium will no longer be generated, nor will Lerasium, as their formation was the result of those Vessels holding the Shards and they are dead.  In their place Harmonium is now being generated.  Pre-existing atium will still do what it always did, but Atium is not naturally occurring anymore.  

Questioner

I am also wondering, does atium actually still regenerate?

Brandon Sanderson

Atium does not regenerate.

Questioner

It stopped when--

Brandon Sanderson

It stopped when Ati stopped existing. Yep.

Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

My gut says not Atium. It would be weird for two series finales to hinge on it. I think the best option is Lerasium since we do have 4 beads just floating around that I'm dying to see come to light. (I still think Kelsiers spike is lerasium accounting for his Feruchemy).

And I don't believe the 16% thing is till happening. 

Coppermind says this if it helps.

The Lost Metal may refer to atium or lerasium, possibly even harmonium (ettmetal) or trellium.

When Kelsier destroyed the Pits of Hathsin, it was stated that the atium geodes would grow back in 300 years time, which may further contribute to atium being the lost metal. Additionally, while at a party Waxillium Ladrian sees each metal in a glass case with a plaque labeling them. Atium's case is empty with the plaque saying "Atium, the Lost Metal."

Ettmetal powers many southern Scadrian technologies and has much potential to be discovered in this area. But it only appeared after the Catacendre and is not known to the northern Scadrial until the events of the Bands of Mourning. This means it is probably not "lost" but "new".

Edited by Karger

25 minutes ago, Karger said:

When Kelsier destroyed the Pits of Hathsin, it was stated that the atium geodes would grow back in 300 years time, which may further contribute to atium being the lost metal. Additionally, while at a party Waxillium Ladrian sees each metal in a glass case with a plaque labeling them. Atium's case is empty with the plaque saying "Atium, the Lost Metal."

This seams contrary to the this WoB

32 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Questioner

I am also wondering, does atium actually still regenerate?

Brandon Sanderson

Atium does not regenerate.

Questioner

It stopped when--

Brandon Sanderson

It stopped when Ati stopped existing. Yep.

Shadows of Self release party (Oct. 5, 2015)

8 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

This seams contrary to the this WoB

That WoB is pretty old but even if true the pits may start working again only this time produce ettmetal.  The power of both shards are still there they just interact differently.  Also there is an even older WoB.

rags

How is Harmony balanced when a part of Preservation's power is expended on human sentience? Isn't that what caused all the trouble to begin with?

Brandon Sanderson

Indeed. Hm... What could Sazed be doing with that extra power...

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 26, 2012)

Edited by Karger

1 minute ago, Karger said:

That WoB is pretty old but even if true the pits may start working again only this time produce ettmetal.  The power of both shards are still there they just interact differently.

that sounds crazy dangerous what happens when it rains.

(edit):nvm it will probably just be in a geode like the Atium was

Edited by Kalaksbreath

Per the label on the empty display case at Lady Kelesina's party in BoM, "the lost metal" is obviously atium.

Which is why, in terms of the book title reference to conclude the Era 2 story arc, it will obviously... Not be atium.

Because when you think zig Brandon doesn't just go zag, he goes... Um... Ziggity-zag?

Or he might make it so the characters in the book think about atium a lot, like maybe it turns out one of the nicrosil bands in the Bonds of Mourning grants A-atium and they're like, what the heck can I do with this if there is no atium to burn? And then some kind of twist reveals why or how this is A Thing.

Or maybe someone just full on mugs Marsh for some atium. Yeah, I'd like to see them try!

Edited by robardin

16 hours ago, Karger said:

That WoB is pretty old but even if true the pits may start working again only this time produce ettmetal.  The power of both shards are still there they just interact differently.  Also there is an even older WoB.

That's certainly possible, though the Pits were specifically made by Leras as a way to siphon Ruin's power away, as part of his whole Atium hoarding plan.  I tend to think they will not start producing Harmonium, if only because the Southerners seem to have a source of it so I dont think the old production/crystallization locations are going to play a role.  Unless we learn that there was always a second Atium mine on the other continent (which also is certainly possible).

Lance Alvein (paraphrased)

You've said that "The Pits of Hathsin were crafted by Preservation as a place to hide the chunk of Ruin's body that he had stolen away". How does one Shard steal a portion of another Shard and create a Physical outlet for it, like the Pits were for Ruin's power?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It has to do with clash between the two Shards' power. When pressed, he then said that it was "kind of" like splintering

Hal-Con 2012 (Oct. 30, 2012)

21 hours ago, Karger said:

We see the Pits in SoS, don't we? And they're completely clear of any crystals or geodes or any deposits whatsoever. Just empty cracks.

20 minutes ago, RShara said:

We see the Pits in SoS, don't we? And they're completely clear of any crystals or geodes or any deposits whatsoever. Just empty cracks.

I think that's right Wax uses the holes that had Atium in them as handholds to climb and never mentioned any chrystals.

5 hours ago, RShara said:

The prologue could have a kandra finding the first one and thinking WTF.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

The prologue could have a kandra finding the first one and thinking WTF.

Rather concise for a kandra's thoughts but I get what you mean :P

Personally I want it to be Atium so that we can start seeing new ALLOYS of it... Though you'd need a Mistborn to be capable of burning them, unless some people are in fact snapping into Atium alloy mistings. Hmmmmm... :huh:

On 3/25/2020 at 2:06 AM, Kalaksbreath said:

Do we have WoB that the "lost metal" is in reference Atium because that's the first thing that came to mind for me because in Shadow of Self Wax is at the party and sees the empty pedestal that says Atium the lost metal but later Wax is it the Pits of Hathsin so he knows exactly where the new Atium will be and in my mind, it is no longer lost. 

So that leaves other metals like Lerasium if I remember correctly we have WoB saying that there were 16 beads of Lerasium and we only know what happened to 12 of them TLR gave 9 to some unknown people once he finished at the well of ascension then took one for himself then later Hoid takes one and Elend takes the other that leaves 4 still floating around somewhere and I would think Harmony would want to know where they are.

This also allows for a rejuvenation of alomancy for the later eras.

also as a side note will 16% of the population on Scadrial always have some Alomantic ability because all humans have some of preservations body in them or is that wrong. 

also also this is all in reference to book 4 in era 2 being named The Lost metal.

Brandon later clarified that the Lord Ruler got his Allomancy not from a Lerasium bead but from the Well of Ascension, he made himself a Mistborn while he was holding Preservation's power

Edited by Dreamer

12 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Brandon later clarified that the Lord Ruler got his Allomancy not from a Lerasium bead but from the Well of Ascension, he made himself a Mistborn while he was holding Preservation's power

This does not prevent Rashek from having kept one.
Feruchemy use, a guarantee if he lost his powers, if he needed to restart the Final Empire...

Edited by Raphaborn