Norse Mythology and the Tranquiline Halls

So I've noticed that Norse mythology is a lot alike Alethi religions. 

The Norse believed that if you died while doing a heroic deed, with a weapon in your hand, a Valkyrie riding on a flying stallion would take your soul to Valhalla. There, you and the other souls would practice fighting for Ragnarok, the end of the world. 

Alethi religions say that after you die, you join the battle to retake the Tranquiline Halls, and that the highest Calling is to be a soldier. 

I don't know if Brandon did this on purpose, or if it's a coincidence. I just love studying mythology (Greek, Roman, Norse, and Egyptian) and thought this was cool

Edited by Kelsier'sGodComplex

At first this feels like a coincidence, warlike cultures naturally tend to associate the highest portion of the afterlife with warriors. 

But thinking about it more, "tranquiline halls" sounds a lot like something that comes from Norse or Norse mythology.

What I really enjoy about the Storm Archive novels is the martial arts themes. European sword techniques mixed with Chinese martial arts of the staff & sword. The "Lashings" is similar to Hong Kong martial films where the characters are doing the aerial combat scenes. Breathing in & using "Stormlight" also similar to Chinese art of "Empty Force" (which I practice) which is the accumulation and circulation of "Chi" for internal power. I must give Brandon Sanderson credit for taking in "Stormlight" by Kaladin in modifying the "Chi" breathing routine when I'm walking my dog by visualizing breathing in Life Force from the trees and plants around me.  So, think of me as a crazy old gentleman.  

• Chaos locked this topic