Baxil ??

Aon Tia

In the baxil interlude, at the end he decides that he will go to NW to seek the old magic. 

Do you guys think he went? What would he have asked for? He said he would ask for courage. I wonder what NW would make of such a boon! Do you think  any KR order would have something to do with courage? Stonewards?
or his interlude was just an introduction to Shalash?

Any ideas?

I think it was both for worldbuilding expansion, and for exposition to The Nightwatcher and to connect Shalash with the epigraph "a woman sits and scratches out her own eyes; daughter of kings and winds, the vandal"

I don't think Baxil and Av were themselves important to the story.

Edited by Dreamer

I think it would be fun if Baxil was included in future books.  I agree that the main points of the interlude were to introduce Shalash and some lore about the Nightwatcher, but Baxil could still pop up in the future if but for only a minor roll.

I've started a reread of Oathbringer, and the other day I read the part where Adolin is talking with Gallant and he mentions Bashin's hounds being couped up.  I was like, who is this Bashin?  It seems like we were introduced to him the way he was so casually mentioned.  So I Coppermined the fool, and was pleasantly surprised to find he has a pretty good size page.  He was the hunt master and a scout as they marched towards Narak.  He's also brought up more in Dalinar's interlude chapters which I hadn't got to yet but I remember his character if not his name.

Point is, I think Brando can definitely find ways to bring him up again.  He may not be some major character, but maybe somebody else who was touched by Cultivation (is courage nebulous enough for NW? maybe?).  No way to know, but if he is, it will just increase my love for the books with the way Brandon can foreshadow and add detail with even minor characters like that.

She could almost certainly give courage(she claims to Dalinar she can give renown and valor iirc).  I do hope he pops up again with something fun.  Maybe he will get that lashing power that Felt mentioned.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

She could almost certainly give courage(she claims to Dalinar she can give renown and valor iirc).  I do hope he pops up again with something fun.  Maybe he will get that lashing power that Felt mentioned.

Dustbringers are Brave/obedient, so maybe he'll attract an Ashspren afterwards :P

14 hours ago, Nuatoma said:

I think it would be fun if Baxil was included in future books.  I agree that the main points of the interlude were to introduce Shalash and some lore about the Nightwatcher, but Baxil could still pop up in the future if but for only a minor roll

Absolutely agree. I think it would be a very fun idea. I think it is a fun cool way to introduce future minor/major KRs. 

14 hours ago, Nuatoma said:

No way to know, but if he is, it will just increase my love for the books with the way Brandon can foreshadow and add detail with even minor characters like that.

Same here. 

I was also confused by the fact that both his interlude and the next one with the ardents, in their chapter headings had symbol of KRs. I wonder if there is any significance to it! 

• Chaos locked this topic