Card Games for cosmere

Silvereye

I'll take the easy answer: Call to Adventure!

A Magic: The Gathering expansion has been tossed around by quite a few fans, and even Brandon himself:

ILikeBreadsticks

If you could design a new mechanic for Magic, what would you make? Thank you!

Brandon Sanderson

For my own Mistborn custom cube, I designed a mechanic that cared if a card was sleeved or not. It couldn't work in regular magic, of course, but in the context of a cube that is already pre-sleeved, it played very well. Basically, being sleeved equated to being protected or shrouded in the mist. You could give up your protection to become stronger, sometimes, but it made you more vulnerable. (There were many cards, for example, that could only destroy unsleeved cards.)

Children of the Nameless Reddit AMA (Dec. 18, 2018)

My favorite card game is Dominion (which isn't a TCG; it's a deckbuilding game, a board game that happens to be played with cards), and there are a few mechanics that could work quite well with cosmere themes. For those who are familiar with the game, you could have Adventures' Travelers reskinned as Knights Radiant (you already have five levels). Feruchemists could do fun stuff with coin tokens or action tokens. I feel like a Mistborn card you need to Snap to get (reveal your hand; there must be at least one Curse) could be an interesting new design space, too.

8 minutes ago, FantasyFanitic said:

I've often pondered the idea of making a Cosmere deck of cards, but I'm not quite sure how to do it. I was thinking of giving each Knight's Radiant order a card, but there are are 13 cards and 10 orders.

10 number cards, 10 orders,

2 male face cards, 2 male Shards,

1 female face card, 1 female Shard.

It's perfect.

EDIT: And you can make Hoid the joker.

Edited by ChickenLiberty

2 hours ago, Kelsier'sGodComplex said:

The card game Kaladin saw the parshmen playing in OB.

I actually made this game! At least as best as I could.

25 minutes ago, FantasyFanitic said:

I've often pondered the idea of making a Cosmere deck of cards, but I'm not quite sure how to do it. I was thinking of giving each Knight's Radiant order a card, but there are are 13 cards and 10 orders.

I made a Stormlight Archive deck using art, both official and some that I found around here.

8 minutes ago, Kelsier'sGodComplex said:

I wanna see!!!! GIMMEEEEE!

It's kind of like a Stormlight-ified chess.

I don't have the board I carved on me, since my grandfather borrowed it to use as a size measurement, but it's a 10 by 10 board with rectangles shaped for the cards. Each grouping of card can do various things, kind of like chess, like how the squire (a 2) requires another card to capture. That squire belongs to the most basic rung of movement alongside all the numerical cards, where it can only go 2 squares a turn (unless it makes it to the final row of the enemy barracks, at which point it becomes a Shardbearer and gains all of that power). The Soulcaster card is the Ace (and has art of Jasnah with a Soulcaster on it, because I tend to use my custom Stormlight deck for this), and it can move up to 8 spaces a turn, along with the ability to swap one friendly card for another (either itself or another friendly card it is sharing at least one corner with, and can swap with any friendly card save the king). The King is naturally the king face-card, and it can traverse the entire board in any direction, including diagonal unlike most cards, which can only move vertically or horizontally, but it is also the lynchpin card if you'll remember. You lose that, you lose everything. 

Worth noting is that the back two rows are known as barracks, and are where all the cards start out at. When there are more cards than fit in both the rows of the barracks, you wait to sub those in until there are open spots in the barracks and fill them in. In those situations, initial setup can decide the whole game. 

I have no idea if that makes any sense outside of my head. It'd be easier to explain via playing, but I've already mentioned the issues with that :P 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2020 at 8:48 PM, Pagerunner said:

My favorite card game is Dominion (which isn't a TCG; it's a deckbuilding game, a board game that happens to be played with cards), and there are a few mechanics that could work quite well with cosmere themes. For those who are familiar with the game, you could have Adventures' Travelers reskinned as Knights Radiant (you already have five levels). Feruchemists could do fun stuff with coin tokens or action tokens. I feel like a Mistborn card you need to Snap to get (reveal your hand; there must be at least one Curse) could be an interesting new design space, too.

The dominion game sounds great!

For the mistborn, they could trash the money to use as an attack, kind of like the catapult in Empires (I think)

Edited by GoWibble

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Sorry, i came a little late. Invocation's idea is pretty cool, and we actually made a similar game based of that same principle with parchment engineer a couple years ago.

He posted his "alethi card game" homemade version, i threw a little image edition and glyph significance to every card, then made somthing of a rulebook. My english was pretty bad back then, i remember having trouble with the "draw" definition, a guy pointed it out and i was like "oh shoot, scrap everything you read, i'll write it again hahaha" 

However, if anybody wants to read that thread, i think it came out pretty nice. The cards are actually there for free, so anyone can print them and play.

go check it out:

I’m making a Scadrian version of Tarot. I’ve finished the Major Arcana/Trump deck and have started on the first regular suit (Spears/Swords/Spades). 

N. Scadrial is Cosmere France and Tarot was developed in France, so it makes sense to me that Scadrial would develop the game.

Fun thing about this deck: Once complete you can remove the trump deck and the Knight/Chevalier (Steward/Terris) cards and use them for standard card games. The Fool can be used in place of a Joker.

Edited by Kingsdaughter613

• 1 month later...