410 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Therapist: To help players find their true potential!

Once per cycle they can choose to switch two players roles (even if they have no role). If one or both of the roles is alignment specific the switch fails. The Therapist will be notified that it failed. However will be given no further information. 

(Just in case I need to clarify, I’m signing up!) 

I would like to add that this whole “let the players make the game” concept feels a little bit like giving a classroom of first graders acrylic paint at their desks and saying “have fun!”  

Edited by Zillah
Analogy’s!

PS: My character will be Bartholomew Prescot.

This sounds like so much fun! I'm a little worried that my game might run through the first cycle or two of this one so I'll ask for a spec doc/ pinch hitter position for now and we'll see what happens. 

Are we only allowed to create one rule, or can we pose multiple ideas?

For my first idea... how about lynch mechanics? It seems like we don't often get variants on lynch mechanics.

So, how's this? Instead of voting for people whom we don't trust, we vote for people that we do. Whoever gets the most votes gets to choose a victim.

No idea if this will fly, but having a different sort of lynch mechanic would be fun. :P

4 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

Are we only allowed to create one rule, or can we pose multiple ideas?

For my first idea... how about lynch mechanics? It seems like we don't often get variants on lynch mechanics.

So, how's this? Instead of voting for people whom we don't trust, we vote for people that we do. Whoever gets the most votes gets to choose a victim.

No idea if this will fly, but having a different sort of lynch mechanic would be fun. :P

The GM post clearly says what you are allowed to create.

Kynedath has already claimed the lynch mechanics.

3 hours ago, Straw said:

The GM post clearly says what you are allowed to create.

Kynedath has already claimed the lynch mechanics.

Ah, I see. It just hadn't been crossed off yet.

In that case, I'll claim third faction.

Posted (edited)

Ok, I guess I'll add an item, not sure if it's allowed yet or not, but here it is.

Teddy Bear: One player starts the game with the Teddy Bear. If a player has possession of the Teddy Bear, then they can pass it to another player. If they have not done so at the end of the cycle, then they keep it. At the beginning of each cycle(including cycle 1) there is a 5% chance that it explodes, killing the player who has possession of the Teddy Bear(putting them out of the game). Once it has exploded, the item is out of the game.

Edited by EXPERIENCE
No items yet

Items are not yet unlocked and won't be until we have 21 players (which we will probably get to, but maybe not). Please do not create any items before then. For those who are creating roles, remember that you can create two roles if you would like.

I'll consult with Elbereth about the Therapist being alerted to failed switches. Right now, we don't have any alignment-specific roles, so it's entirely possible that won't be a concern. For now, I've put the Therapist role on as a role-switcher (which I think is very interesting. Never seen that before, quite like that).

Posted (edited)

I would like to reserve the fourth faction.

Edited by EXPERIENCE
typo

13 hours ago, Zillah said:

I would like to add that this whole “let the players make the game” concept feels a little bit like giving a classroom of first graders acrylic paint at their desks and saying “have fun!”  

Have you looked at LG38? It was the basis for this game, and had far fewer restrictions on rules, which resulted in a very strange game.

Posted (edited)

The second role I'd like to add: 

Curator of the Library of Congress: Much like your cousins in Alexandria, you are a specter charged with care of the Library of Congress. Once per night, you can lure someone into a trap, keeping them from taking action. (Standard roleblock)

Edited by Elandera

So we've got a few roles, 10 players, and an interesting PM mechanic. We also have no kills in the game, at all. Even the lynch doesn't always kill a player. I don't know if that is good or bad. Do you guys think we should encourage someone to add a kill role? Or should we just roll with this?

Also, @Elkanah I don't think your game is going to be running when this game starts.

Signing up as Liability

Where would role actions be submitted?

14 minutes ago, Ironfire said:

Signing up as Liability

Where would role actions be submitted?

I would assume that role actions during the game would be submitted in the GM PM, unless the GMs say otherwise.

@Kynedath can someone who is locked up still be lynched?

1 hour ago, EXPERIENCE said:

@Kynedath can someone who is locked up still be lynched?

Yes, they can be. 

I'll sign up. I'd like to add some more roles to the party.

Trouble Magnet: You were born unlucky, and trouble gravitates towards you. Once per cycle, target a player. If they are of a different alignment than you, both you and your target die.

Gossiper: You've heard juicy secrets, and now you have to spill the beans. Once per cycle, create a temporary PM with yourself and as many other people as you want in it. This ignores the restriction on group PMs. The PM is closed at the end of the cycle.

Posted (edited)

Are PM's normally allowed? I vote no if it hasn't been specified yet.

Edited by EXPERIENCE

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, EXPERIENCE said:

Are PM's normally allowed? I vote no if it hasn't been specified yet.

This is stated in the rules. Please read them before posting, as they tend to change frequently.

Edited by Straw

Wow, don't know how I missed that. Sorry for the trouble.

So I believe we have 12 players, unlocking the third faction for @xinoehp512.

Rules have been updated. Finally talked to El about Kynedath's rule and tweaked that slightly so there is no longer a role/alignment reveal. Also added that locked up players do not count toward win con totals. Also tweaked Sart's group PM role so those in the group PM do not count towards the actionable targets of the PM mechanic (so you can't get around the "you can only target people you have a PM with" rule by creating a group PM with all the players in the game to make it so people can target everyone).

And you're correct that we can add a third faction now. I'm not sure we'll hit the required 16 players for the fourth faction, however. Given that it's taken 3 days to get 2 more players and we only have 2 more days left before the game starts and we're 4 players away from the minimum number needed for a fourth faction. So @EXPERIENCE, you might want to think about something else to contribute should Sunday roll around and we're still a few people short. Obviously if that's not the case and we pass the 16 player mark, you're good to create the fourth faction.

Sounds good. Quick question. I couldn't find it in the rules so on a lynch vote tie, is it random or are both killed. 

Also, here's another question for lynch. Someone that is captured can be lynched. Do they still need the 50%+ lynch vote to kill them, or do they no longer have that protection. 

Posted (edited)

It looks likely that the latest my game could go is halfway through Day 1 of this game so I'll go ahead and sign up. I apologize right now that I don'e know the setting and so RP will suffer.

I have a few questions about the rules as they are right now. Are we adding Crystal Knights to one eliminator doc as we go? Is that a rule one of us need to add? While that doesn't fall under the purview of either suggestions for the rules for rules it seems like an important rule.

I had three questions right here all typed up. Refreshed the page to see if you had answered them and you did. Well done, Wilson!

Is the game currently winnable for the liebrarians? Even without Kynedath's more interesting (if complicated) lynch mechanic, the liebrarians would lose at parity. Even a normal lynch becomes insurmountable when the teams are even. The crystal knights must know who their teammates are because they are converting them. You can't hide information from the person providing it. Given that, maybe we want to consider having liebrarian only kill roles that they lose upon conversion. That makes the Liebrarians the eliminators with the village as the secret faction. Sorry if that kills the flavor, but I'm hoping help keep it balanced.

I appreciate the clarification that locked up players do not count toward or against win conditions, but can they still be converted for their vote. If they can, is that revealed after the rest of their role has already been revealed?

I understand the gossiper isn't restricted by the one on one PM rule, but is he restricted by the 'you can only target those you have PMs with' rule? It's implied that it's not restricted, but I'd like it explicit.

Does each Crystal Knight have a convert power, or is it a faction action? Will you take the first or last submission for conversion if there is only one convert per cycle?

Sorry for the million questions. I'll come up with a rule or two once I'm sure I understand the world we're building.

My character is Karen, a child too precocious to be lovable

Edit: Ninja'd by Wilson and Experience

It is helpful to have the changes spelled out. Thank you! :)

Good questions, Experience!

Edited by Elkanah