Questions on the Rhythms

sylbladio

On my recent reread of OB, I realised that Lunamor can hear the Beats. I did some more research, and found out that the Rhythms permeate the entire cosmere, and Seekers can sense it on Roshar. This got me thinking. Since Horneaters can hear the Rhythms, can Herdazians too? Or can Horneaters only hear it because of some kind of resonance from Cultivation's Perpendicularity? Can Cultivation, or any of the Shards sense the Rhythms? (also this is my first post, so please tell me if i need to create spoiler tags or something)

32 minutes ago, sylbladio said:

Since Horneaters can hear the Rhythms, can Herdazians too? Or can Horneaters only hear it because of some kind of resonance from Cultivation's Perpendicularity?

Some Horneaters can hear rhythms because of their high concentration of singer blood.  Herdazians probably have less.

32 minutes ago, sylbladio said:

Can Cultivation, or any of the Shards sense the Rhythms? (also this is my first post, so please tell me if i need to create spoiler tags or something)

Shards can sense basically everything and you are good on spoilers.

Edited by Karger

16 hours ago, sylbladio said:

I did some more research, and found out that the Rhythms permeate the entire cosmere

More specifically, it's something that's Cosmere-wide but has a specific way of manifesting on Roshar

I got the sense that the Rythms have something to do with Connection.

There's a lot of different Rythms and when one changed into a form of Power and gets that Connection to Odium or whatever, they also have new Ryhtms.

Edited by Eternal Khol

My personal theory is that Roshar is closer to the cognitive realm than other planets and that's why we see so many cognitive things there. Thinking like this I extrapolate that the rhythms are like brainwaves? or maybe the music that dictates how the realms interact? so many questions.

Now that Venli's formed a Nahel Bond and sworn the First Ideal, we can look forward to dancing to the beat of the Rhythm of the Knight. (Maybe only after the Third Ideal?)

Edited by robardin

After reading this thread I got the idea that the rhythms are a side-effect of investiture, with different intents of investiture forming on a scale (like electromagnetic radiation) and some sort of radiation is given off by each type. Singers can "tune into" the 'frequencies' of latent investiture (somewhat like the microwave background of the universe), while a Bronze Seeker would "tunes into" the frequencies given off by the usage of investiture by other Allomancers (or people using other forms of magic in the Cosmere). When the Listeners became connected to Odium they got a new host of songs because they used Odium's investiture more instead of Honor's, which is a whole new part of the spectrum (going back to my comparison to the Electromagnetic Spectrum; it's like going from visible light to being able to see ultraviolet as well). This could also answer why the shards could be split into more/less than 16 pieces, since those pieces were cut on arbitrary lines on the scale, so it would be easy to move the lines around to create more or less shards. Also, some WoBs I found relevant (spoilered for length):

Spoiler

Rasarr

If you took a Parshendi... And they were born outside Roshar and never visited Roshar in their lives, would they hear the Rhythms beyond Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Would they hear the Rhythms beyond Roshar... If you took one that was not born on Roshar, would they feel the Rhythms off-Roshar or just Rhythms in general?

Rasarr

Rhythms in general.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, they would sense them.

Rasarr

Even beyond Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

What they are sensing... it's something that pervades the Cosmere but on Roshar has specific way of manifesting.

Rasarr

Is it the same thing that Soothers and Rioters are using?

Brandon Sanderson

Now you're straying into RAFO territory with your question/good question...

Warsaw signing (March 18, 2017)
Spoiler

Questioner

So the Parshendi Rhythms. They talk a lot about them as like music. So do you imagine them as rhythms where they talk like this or is their a melodic quality to it? 

Brandon Sanderson

That is what they're doing. There's not very much melodic quality to it. They set songs to the Rhythms. The way I have it in the books, in my mind, and the canon, is there is Connection between them and the songs of Roshar. That they can pick up a Rhythm when there's actually not enough of it, even in a sentence, because of the intent of the Rhythm and what the other person's hearing. So they can hear a Rhythm even if it's only a couple words being said, that you couldn't learn, if you were just a human listening. No matter how good you were. Some you wouldn't be able to pick up because there is not enough information there. 

Questioner

So they're just like kind of complex rhythmic things that you could write out musically.

Brandon Sanderson

You could. You definitely could write them out.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)
Spoiler

Aethenoth

Can an Allomantic bronze burner hear the Rhythms on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, this is possible.

General Signed Books 2016 (May 2, 2016)

• Chaos locked this topic